Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Tomorrow Never Dies 

What grade would you give this film?
A 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

Tomorrow Never Dies 
College Boy Z

Post Tomorrow Never Dies
Tomorrow Never Dies

Quote:
Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) is the eighteenth spy film in the James Bond series, and the second to star Pierce Brosnan as the fictional MI6 agent James Bond. Bruce Feirstein wrote the screenplay, and it was directed by Roger Spottiswoode. It follows Bond as he tries to stop a media mogul from engineering world events and starting World War III.

The film was produced by Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli, and was the first James Bond film made after the death of producer Albert R. Broccoli, to which the movie pays tribute in the end credits. Locations included France, Thailand, Germany and the United Kingdom. Tomorrow Never Dies performed well at the box office and earned a Golden Globe nomination despite mixed reviews. While its domestic box office surpassed GoldenEye, it was the only Pierce Brosnan Bond film not to open at number one at the box office since it opened the same day as Titanic.

Not Brosnan's best, but still a great Bond film. A-

Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:59 pm
Superman: The Movie

This is my third favorite Bond film. The reason why I like it so much is because it has the same spirit of the Connery Bond films, especially You Only Live Twice. The action is top notch (The bike chase being the best), and the villian is actually somewhat plausible. I also enjoyed Teri Hatcher and Michelle Yeoh as the Bond girls (Though they do not come close to being as good as Famke Jennsen and Isabella Scorupco). Another reason why I liked the film so much is David Arnold's score. He was over the top with the Bond theme, and coming off of Goldeneye's score, it was perfect.

A+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Very good second movie for Pierce Brosnan, though clearly not as strong as Goldeneye. I do like that the old James Bond guitar theme was brought back.

B+

Last edited by Maverikk on Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:20 pm

One of my all-time fav Bond films.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:23 pm
Full Fledged Member

I was a big Remington Steele fan, so I was thrilled when Pierce Brosnan got the role of Bond again (after the ill-fated first time).

Anyhow, a very good film. A-

Has anyone else here played the James Bond game Everything or Nothing? I rented it recently, and found it to be quite in the spirit of the movies. Especially, since it features Brosnan's voice, as well as, Judi Dench's and John Cleese's, etc. The storyline is written by Bruce Feirstein who co-wrote GoldenEye and wrote Tomorrow Never Dies.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:02 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

B+, only because I liked Goldeneye better.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:59 pm
Profile WWW

I forgot to mention that it was the first Bond film I saw in theaters so that's another reason why I think I enjoyed it so much.

I could've seen Goldeneye if I wanted to, but I was scared since I was 8.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:59 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I give this bond an A just because Michelle Yeoh is in the darn film!

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:57 am
Veteran

Pretty good movie. The final fight scene is lame.

B+

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

B

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:27 pm
Forum General

Of the 4 Brosnan films, I think this one's probably tied with Goldeneye as my favorite, or maybe just below it.

I think it's tons of fun.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The fact that others claim it to be a great Bond movie illustrates the yawning gulf that separates the underlying philosophy of Bond fans. I belong to the classic formula camp founded by the Connery Bond - plenty of humor, over-the-top villains, outrageous world domination schemes, innovative and ultra-cool stunts, etc. The other camp seems to want to turn the Bond franchise into a routine spy action series with none of the fun.

Which camp do you belong to?

You sound more like you're in the Roger Moore camp, bradley.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:08 pm
Extraordinary

bradley witherberry wrote:
The fact that others claim it to be a great Bond movie illustrates the yawning gulf that separates the underlying philosophy of Bond fans. I belong to the classic formula camp founded by the Connery Bond - plenty of humor, over-the-top villains, outrageous world domination schemes, innovative and ultra-cool stunts, etc. The other camp seems to want to turn the Bond franchise into a routine spy action series with none of the fun.

Which camp do you belong to?

You sound more like you're in the Roger Moore camp, bradley.

Tell me there's no humor in the Connery Bond movies -- and not a just a bit, but rather as a key element of the legendary Connery Bond movies.

(BTW, most of the Moore Bond movies were too cheesy for me...)

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:04 pm
Extraordinary

There's humor in Connery's movies, but I don't think there are any out-and-out gags.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:37 pm
Killing With Kindness

Entertaining fun, definately a bond film worth watching.

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

My favourite Brosnan Bond, I felt it got most of the elements working. Brosnan is top-notch with both the suaveness and the humour, Michelle Yeoh is a kick-ass Bond girl, and the villain is a nice change from the norm. The action is pretty superb throughout, from the pre-credits sequence to the bike chase, although the climax is by far the weakest part. It's not very thrilling and ends the film lamely. Still, this film contains one of my all-time favourite Bond scenes, in the parking garage chase. A great combination of action, humour, gadgets, and thrills. Plus, the music is back and better than ever. One of the better Bonds.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:44 pm

Post Re: Tomorrow Never Dies
They say the villains make the Bond movies. Tomorrow Never Dies has a fantastic one. Elliot Carver is your typical Bond villain in that he is grandiose in nature and wants World War III between China and the United Kingdom, but he wants it all for ratings and to expand his company's broadcasting rights into China for 100 years. He was a timely villain in 1997 and he's ever more timely today.

Tomorrow Never Dies grabs you by the collar with the pre-credits sequence and doesn't let go until the tribute credit to Albert "Cubby" Broccoli pops up at the end. The movie is non-stop action and it's some of the best action you could ask for out of a Bond film, especially the garage chase and the bike chase.

And David Arnold's first score for the Bond franchise is a home run. It's the best score of any of the Bond's since John Barry's score for On Her Majesty's Secret Service. It remains his best score to date.

Brosnan is also in top form here, which makes sense since this was the first film written specifically for him.

Tomorrow Never Dies feels like a natural predecessor to Goldfinger, You Only Live Twice, and The Spy Who Loved Me. The villains are in the grandiose nature of Goldfinger and Oddjob. The action is very reminiscent of You Only Live Twice (not to mention the locales) and The Spy Who Loved Me. And Michelle Yeoh is an even better version of XXX from The Spy Who Loved Me.

I might be a little biased here because this was the first Bond I ever saw in a theater, but it's my personal favorite in the series. It's not as good a film as On Her Majesty's Secret Service and Goldfinger are, but it's top notch entertainment.

***** (A+)

1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) - ***** (A+)
2. Goldfinger (1964) - ***** (A+)
3. Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) - ***** (A+)
4. The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) - ***** (A+)
5. From Russia with Love (1963) - ****½ (A)
6. Licence to Kill (1989) - ****½ (A)
7. Goldeneye (1995) - **** (A-)
8. The Living Daylights (1987) - **** (A-)
9. Live and Let Die (1973) - ***½ (B+)
10. You Only Live Twice (1967) - *** (B)
11. For Your Eyes Only (1981) - *** (B)
12. Thunderball (1965) - *** (B)
13. Dr. No (1962) - *** (B)
14. A View to a Kill (1985) - **½ (B-)
15. The Man with the Golden Gun (1974) - **½ (C+)
16. Diamonds are Forever (1971) - **½ (C+)
17. Octopussy (1983) - ** (C)
18. Moonraker (1979) - ** (C)

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:03 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]