Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 The World is Not Enough 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
B 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

The World is Not Enough 
College Boy Z

Post The World is Not Enough
The World is Not Enough

Quote:
The World Is Not Enough (1999) is the nineteenth spy film in the James Bond film series, and the third to star Pierce Brosnan as the fictional MI6 agent James Bond. The film was directed by Michael Apted, with the original story and screenplay written by Neal Purvis, Robert Wade and Bruce Feirstein. It was produced by Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli.

The film's plot revolves around the assassination of billionaire Sir Robert King by the terrorist Renard and Bond's subsequent assignment to protect King's daughter, Elektra, who had previously been held for ransom by Renard. During his assignment, Bond unravels a scheme to increase petroleum prices by triggering a nuclear meltdown in the waters of Istanbul.

Filming locations included Spain, France, Turkey and the United Kingdom, with interiors shot at Pinewood Studios. Despite mixed critical reception, The World Is Not Enough earned $361,832,400 worldwide.

Brosnan's worst Bond.

That said, it's still highly entertaining, even if kinda... weak at times. B+

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:23 pm
Superman: The Movie

I'd rank it third out of the Brosnan Bond's. If it weren't for the soap opera acting, and a somewhat boring middle, this could've been close to being a perfect Bond film. And as much as I like Denise Richards, what the hell were they thinking casting her as nuclear scientist, especially one named Christmas? Besides that though, I liked the film a lot.

A-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

My biggest memory of this was the third time of seeing it, and my brother and I just couldn't stop laughing at one scene and decided to leave instead of ruining the movie for anybody else. That was definitely my most memorable time at the movies because of laughter hitting us both so hard at the same time about the same scene that wasn't funny to anyone else.

It was definitely Brosnan's weakest effort.

B

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:33 pm
Sbil

Denise Richards deserved her Razzie for this.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:34 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Denise Richards deserved her Razzie for this.

The razzie was too good for her.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:46 pm
Extraordinary

Just terrible. Such a productive idea completely bothced. If you give me an explosion, I'll make a war. Sound familiar? It should, and if Bond could have tapped into that a bit more, rather than making it one man's looney plans, so much the better. I miss when Blofeld made everything seem like The Cold War as a way of manipulating both sides to get what he wanted. This was a return to that. An attempt to manipulate current events for an individual's ploy. But it failed to responate, failed to have much suspense, and just...Chirstmas...no. It would have been much better had we not been sure the media was manipulated os quickly. It lost intrigue about two minutes into the movie when he has all the drowing people get shot. Eh.

C+

Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:34 pm
Teh Mexican

yeah it wasnt all that good! but still great fun :smile:

B

Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:37 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
I'd rank it third out of the Brosnan Bond's. If it weren't for the soap opera acting, and a somewhat boring middle, this could've been close to being a perfect Bond film. And as much as I like Denise Richards, what the hell were they thinking casting her as nuclear scientist, especially one named Christmas? Besides that though, I liked the film a lot.

A-

possible explanation > maybe she was a stripper that had to work her way through college ( that would explain why she had to be a pretty, sexy, hot, BUT SMART, girl )

:hahaha:

Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:39 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

Without Denise Richards, this film stands as one of the best Bonds in my opinion.

Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:12 pm
Profile WWW

Just terrible. Such a productive idea completely bothced. If you give me an explosion, I'll make a war. Sound familiar? It should, and if Bond could have tapped into that a bit more, rather than making it one man's looney plans, so much the better. I miss when Blofeld made everything seem like The Cold War as a way of manipulating both sides to get what he wanted. This was a return to that. An attempt to manipulate current events for an individual's ploy. But it failed to responate, failed to have much suspense, and just...Chirstmas...no. It would have been much better had we not been sure the media was manipulated os quickly. It lost intrigue about two minutes into the movie when he has all the drowing people get shot. Eh.

C+

I think you have Tomorrow Never Dies and The World is Not Enough confused. :smile:

Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:03 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
dolcevita wrote:
C+

I think you have Tomorrow Never Dies and The World is Not Enough confused. :smile:

It does seems that way.

Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:06 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

I consider this the best bond movie since The Spy Who Loved Me.

A

Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:59 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

jmart007 wrote:
dolcevita wrote:
C+

It does seems that way.

:unsure: You can tell they've all morphed into one bad movie with me after Goldeneye. That was really the last bond I enjoyed. I'll go hide now. Ah geesh Tomorrow was with Yeow? Got my Bond girls confused, which is too bad, since she did a better job than anyone since Izabella Scorupto. Still, it didn't mesh with me either. And I really liked Sophie Marceau in World, but everyone else was just, meh. And the oil plot just wasn't creative crime. So, um, which Bond are we talking about by now?

Last edited by dolcevita on Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:19 am
Lord of filth

I think the fact that Bond stands in front the main bad "guy", someone he's had relations with and then SHOOTS her, goes over a lot of people's heads. I think it's a powerful moment in the series.

Bond rarely makes a choice like that when the bad guy dies, usually the bad guy dies as the result of some elaborate situation.

Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:27 am
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

I still think the sub explosion at the end is weak (and oddly edited!).

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:38 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

My second favorite Brosnan Bond. It probably would've ranked first had it been anyone other than Denise Richards. "I never miss" represents everyting I love about 007.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:31 am
Squee

I don't remember much about the movie actually. It's my 3rd favorite of the 4 bonds... if I remember correct;y. I may have to watch it again to grade it. But Denise Richards as a nuclear scientist was classic hilarity. wait...

andaroo wrote:
I loved Sophie Marceau.

I think the fact that Bond stands in front the main bad "guy", someone he's had relations with and then SHOOTS her, goes over a lot of people's heads. I think it's a powerful moment in the series.

Bond rarely makes a choice like that when the bad guy dies, usually the bad guy dies as the result of some elaborate situation.

That was THIS movie?! Damn... the two middle Brosnan Bonds kind of morphed together for me. That was the reason I liked Tomorrow Never Dies the best of them all but... it wasnt even in Tomorrow Never Dies.

Ok, I have to watch these movies again...

:glare:

Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:35 pm
Extraordinary

Each of Brosnan's Bond films got weaker. B-/C+.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

boring

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Plus Points - Denise Richards is stunning
Minus Points - Denise Richards is a bloody Nuclear scientist.
Plus Points - Brosnan is in top form
Minus Points - Reynard is a weak villian, one of the few detractions from the Brosnan Bonds.
Plus Points - Robbie Coltrane always puts on a Good show
Minus Points - The beginnings of moronic parody to be seen fullblown in DaD creep into certain scenes like the helicopters with the buzzsaws

Overall B

Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:14 am
loyalfromlondon

My least favourite Brosnan Bond, Denise Richards ruined it for me and I didn't find any of the action sequences particularly memorable. There are some great elements (Sophie Marceau, "I never miss", the music), but it didn't overcome the weak story, lame villain, and overall boring-ness. Brosnan seems a bit weaker this time around, but I liked the return of Robbie Coltrane. In particular, the pre-credits scene was far too long. Usually it's just a single action sequence, but this film seemed to require two. A below average Bond.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:54 pm

Post Re: The World is Not Enough
I'm not sure what's more absurd: Denise Richards nuclear physicist or Michael Apted James Bond director? Was Werner Herzog busy?

It's a step down from the earlier Brosnan Bond's to say the least though I think the film is saved by the action sequences and the "I never miss" line. Ruthless Bond is back! And on that level Brosnan succeeds once again as Bond.

Everything else is a little below average. Sophie Marceau seems like she's in a soap opera and Denise Richards just seems completely lost. There wasn't one decent actress with big tits they could've gone to? Kate Winslet (first name I could think of) would've been good here. ANYONE ELSE would've been good here. And Robert Carlye is pretty much wasted. And for a character that's not supposed to feel any pain, why is it that whenever Bond punches him he grunts? Basic instinct?

The World is Not Enough is a good Bond, but it's not exactly a memorable one either.

*** (B)

1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) - ***** (A+)
2. Goldfinger (1964) - ***** (A+)
3. Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) - ***** (A+)
4. The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) - ***** (A+)
5. From Russia with Love (1963) - ****½ (A)
6. Licence to Kill (1989) - ****½ (A)
7. Goldeneye (1995) - **** (A-)
8. The Living Daylights (1987) - **** (A-)
9. Live and Let Die (1973) - ***½ (B+)
10. You Only Live Twice (1967) - *** (B)
11. For Your Eyes Only (1981) - *** (B)
12. The World is Not Enough (1999) - *** (B)
13. Thunderball (1965) - *** (B)
14. Dr. No (1962) - *** (B)
15. A View to a Kill (1985) - **½ (B-)
16. The Man with the Golden Gun (1974) - **½ (C+)
17. Diamonds are Forever (1971) - **½ (C+)
18. Octopussy (1983) - ** (C)
19. Moonraker (1979) - ** (C)

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:32 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I would pay a lot of money to see a Werner Herzog Bond movie.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:27 am
We had our time together

One of my favorite Bonds.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:19 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Better than Tomorrow Never dies, just as I really like the story in this one. The action is what kind of bogs it down. I mean who the hell would possible construct a Helicopter with saws on it? It serves really no purpose whatsoever. The rest is pretty entertaining, and Denise Richards isn't that bad. Most bond girls have roles you wouldn't believe in real life, Denis is definitely one of the hottest girls spitting out mediocre dialogue. Probably one of Bond's best torture moments (That choker with Sophie was a very cool)

It doesn't really stay with you afterwards, but you have a good time while your there overall.
B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]