Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Minority Report 

What grade would you give this film?
A 83%  83%  [ 33 ]
B 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
C 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 40

Minority Report 
College Boy Z

Post Minority Report
Minority Report

Quote:
Minority Report is a 2002 science fiction neo-noir directed by Steven Spielberg and loosely based on the short story "The Minority Report" by Philip K. Dick. It is set primarily in Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia in the year 2054, where "Precrime", a specialized police department, apprehends criminals based on foreknowledge provided by three psychics called "precogs". The cast includes Tom Cruise as Precrime officer John Anderton, Colin Farrell as Department of Justice agent Danny Witwer, Samantha Morton as the senior precog Agatha, and Max von Sydow as Anderton's superior Lamar Burgess. The film has a distinctive look, featuring high contrast for dark colors and shadows, resembling film noir.

Minority Report was one of the best reviewed films of 2002, and was nominated for and won several awards. These included an Academy Award nomination for Best Sound Editing, and four Saturn Awards, including Best Science Fiction Film and Best Direction. Produced on an overall budget of $142 million (including $40m for marketing and distribution), the film was also a commercial success, earning over $358 million in worldwide box office returns and selling four million DVDs in its first few months of release.

One of the best sci/fi flicks ever. A

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:19 pm
I just lost the game

Ditto Zing. Totally outstanding. Top-notch visuals and some of the best special effects ever, consistently throughout the movie. Number 40 or so on my all time list. A.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:04 pm
We had our time together

Like the others said. Incredible Movie. A

Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

A very big surprise, and a very underrated Speilberg flick.

A/A-

Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:23 pm
Veteran

One of the best movies ever. A fine performance by Tom Cruise.

A+

Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

Excellent movie. But the ending was to much "Spielberg typical world peace ending".
So I would give a 9.9/10
but the ending put it down to a 9/10

(Btw: one of the best CGI jobs ever. It was shamefully ignored at the Oscars.)

Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:42 pm
The Incredible Hulk

Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Pretty good, but it's way too long, drags in the late 2nd/3rd act, and has that terrible ending(s). Plus, I've never found it terribly enjoyable after that first viewing. Little replay value for me, in other words.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:00 pm
Extraordinary

A brilliant SCI-FI film,my third favorite film of the decade and it makes my top 50 alltime.

Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Great movie.One of my favorite all time.The video game is pretty good too.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

The best movie released that year.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:47 pm
Award Winning Bastard

B-

Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:28 pm
Indiana Jones IV

More Spielberg junk. I mean, what's up with Cruise's dead kid in the movie? Clearly added by Spielberg because he's obsessed with kids (usually when they are in danger). Jurassic Park - kids almost eaten by raptors. Jaws - kids almost eaten by sharks. Schindler's List - kids shot by Nazis. Temple of Doom - kids being whipped. Lost World - kids in danger. A.I. - main character in danger all the time, a kid. E.T. - kids in danger by the cops at the end, etc. etc.

F

Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:41 am
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

Can we please discount all of Star Wars' grades for Spielberg flicks?

Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:01 am
Profile WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I have to agree with this statement.

Its sad that this movie didn't do more at the BO. I don't think its a summer movie but it would have been a really good November/December movie.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:05 am
Indiana Jones IV

Yup :disgust:

Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:43 am
Profile WWW
---------

More Spielberg junk. I mean, what's up with Cruise's dead kid in the movie? Clearly added by Spielberg because he's obsessed with kids (usually when they are in danger). Jurassic Park - kids almost eaten by raptors. Jaws - kids almost eaten by sharks. Schindler's List - kids shot by Nazis. Temple of Doom - kids being whipped. Lost World - kids in danger. A.I. - main character in danger all the time, a kid. E.T. - kids in danger by the cops at the end, etc. etc.

F

Yeah, I know. You never see these "kids" he speaks of in real life. I don't think they really even exist. You know there not a necessary part of life or anything.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:11 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Star Wars wrote:

F

Yeah, I know. You never see these "kids" he speaks of in real life. I don't think they really even exist. You know there not a necessary part of life or anything.

Saving Private Ryan - out of nowhere a kid is needing to be rescued, the man who tried to save her is shot.
Empire of the Sun - duh, it's pretty much about a kid being in danger.
Catch Me If You Can - wasn't the dude in High School when he did all that stuff? If he wasn't - he was in the beginning at least, right? The movie is not even close to the book (at least what I've heard; admittedly I have not read it so I can't say for fact)
War of the Worlds - THE WHOLE GOD DAMNED MOVIE IS ABOUT A KID IN TROUBLE.

I haven't seen Close Encounters, Sugarland Express, Always and a few other of his movies but I am sure there are also kids in danger.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
keep speaking ill of Spielberg and you'll be the next kid in trouble.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:48 pm
Extraordinary

Post Premonitions of Mediocrity
Nice to see some "sci-fi", but this one clocks in at about a half an hour too long - the mystery at the heart of the story is pretty basic and ends up being more 'Murder She Wrote' than 'Columbo'. Still, the near future is always a cool setting for movies and it is loaded with heaps of cool technology. Fault lies in the hands of the director. :thumbsdown:

2 out of 5.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:23 am
---------

MG Casey wrote:

Saving Private Ryan - out of nowhere a kid is needing to be rescued, the man who tried to save her is shot.
Empire of the Sun - duh, it's pretty much about a kid being in danger.
Catch Me If You Can - wasn't the dude in High School when he did all that stuff? If he wasn't - he was in the beginning at least, right? The movie is not even close to the book (at least what I've heard; admittedly I have not read it so I can't say for fact)
War of the Worlds - THE WHOLE GOD ----- MOVIE IS ABOUT A KID IN TROUBLE.

I haven't seen Close Encounters, Sugarland Express, Always and a few other of his movies but I am sure there are also kids in danger.

*failed joke* I wasn't saying kids weren't in his movies.. I was making a joke that it's weird Spielberg uses kids so much in his moves, but you never see them in real life. Kinda like British people. You see them everywhere in movies, but not one on the street.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:27 pm
Kypade

I THINK I love it, but it always leaves me a little cold and detached. Also, it definitely isnt as rewatchable as most of his stuff. I have seen it about 4 times or so...just kinda deflates each time.

Probably B, B- or so.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:43 pm
Killing With Kindness

A

Oustanding flick, not that rewatchable unless watched omce ever two or three years, otherwise outsanding from begining to end.

Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:50 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

A masterpiece; one's of this decade's best films, and one that is sure to stand the test of time. It's incredible how normal the extraordinary features of this film are. That's precisely why the film as a whole is so extraordinary: it creates a future that is perfectly plausible, and which is very likely going to be our future. That's how you can tell that Spielberg has done his homework. To be a visionary, you need to imagine that which will be realized, and I have no doubt that this film has given us a glimpse of the world to come.

An enthusiastic A

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

A masterpiece; one's of this decade's best films, and one that is sure to stand the test of time. It's incredible how normal the extraordinary features of this film are. That's precisely why the film as a whole is so extraordinary: it creates a future that is perfectly plausible, and which is very likely going to be our future. That's how you can tell that Spielberg has done his homework. To be a visionary, you need to imagine that which will be realized, and I have no doubt that this film has given us a glimpse of the world to come.

An enthusiastic A

You mean, pre-cogs and everything? :|

I don't see it.

But anyway, I remember reading somewhere that multiple "futurologists" worked on this movie. Obviously it paid off.

The movie: I agree with a lot of people here. An excellent film, definitely one of the best of its year. The replay value isn't so great, unless you take a loong break in between viewings. Irregardless, A.

Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next