Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 The Ninth Gate 

What grade would you give this film?
A 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

The Ninth Gate 
College Boy Z

Post The Ninth Gate
The Ninth Gate

Quote:
The Ninth Gate (1999) is a European-production movie, directed by Roman Polanski. It is a neo-noir, mystery thriller about the rare book business, wherein rare-book dealer Dean Corso (Johnny Depp) is hired by bibliophile Boris Balkan (Frank Langella) to validate a seventeenth-century copy of The Nine Gates of the Kingdom of Shadows, by Aristide Torchia, and what he encounters en route.

The film, based upon the novel The Club Dumas (1993), by Arturo Pérez-Reverte, comprises three genres, and was co-written by director Roman Polanski. The premiere showing was at San Sebastián, Spain, on 25 August 1999—a month before the 47th San Sebastian International Film Festival; in North America, it failed critically and commercially, because, reviewers claimed, it was a lesser effort than Rosemary's Baby (1968), his best supernatural-theme film; nonetheless, The Ninth Gate earned a worldwide gross of $58.4 million against a $38 million budget.

Don't remember it well, but I remember not liking it.

Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:06 pm
You must have big rats

Polanski has been better than this, but it is still a very well-made horror/thriller/drama. It grew on me evn more after further viewings, but the twist at the end unfortunately loses its impact after a while. Johnny Depp is great as always and Frank Langella delivers a great insane performance. I had a few gripes with the storyline as well as with Depp's character, but overall a great mystery flick.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Excellent movie! Way better than Depp's other hell movie, and under-rated at the time of it's release...

5 out of 5.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:39 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Decent at points, but the whole thing is just baffling. And I'm not just referring to the plot.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:43 pm
Top Poster

So I saw this earlier today. Most of the movie was very good but the lack of a real ending left a bitter taste in my mouth. I understand that it was meant to be vague, but couldn't it be executed in a way that was more satisfying? Still, the movie was very still well done. Not sure what I'd grade it yet.

Mon May 29, 2006 2:37 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

Moves along nicely, until the end, and then bam... what does it all mean?, 14 March 2000
Author: Dan Grant (dan.grant@bell.ca) from Toronto, Ontario

There are not that many films that take the time to be a really good thriller. Most films that are produced are smart enough to realize that most people have the attention span of 4 year old when it comes to films. Something always has to be happening for the audience to stay focussed on the film. Well in the Ninth Gate, that doesn't always happen. As a matter a fact if a James Cameron flick is your idea of the only form of entertainment, then you should stay clear of this one because it really does move slowly. I am not saying that is a bad thing, just a fact. I really liked the film, right up until the very end when it makes no sense. And I have read other reviews in here that complain about the same thing so I am glad that I am not the only one. I believe this film could have been excellent if only it would have explained itself a bit more at it's conclusion. I still recommend it highly but I have no idea what it all means, you figure it out.

The film has one of the best opening set ups that I have seen in quite some time. It begins by showing Dean Corso ( Johnny Depp ) as a sleazy book hunter. He swindles a couple out of some rare books and then he heads off to his best paying client who then informs him that he wants him to go off to Portugal and France to find the only two other copies of a book that may or may not open the Ninth Gate, where Satan is supposed to rise from Hell. The man's name is Boris Balkan and he is played with a quiet sinisterness by Frank Langella. It seems the book that he has is one of only three copies. The man who wrote it was burned alive in the Spanish Inquisition because he was apparently in cohoots with Satan himself. Corso does go on his journey to Europe to locate the two remaining books and find their secrets. While in Europe looking for the books, he escapes death numerous times, discovers discrepencies with the three books, meets a stranger in the form of a beautiful French? woman that uses martial arts to save him once and she also floats twice from stair cases, but we, the audience get to see that, not Corso himself. The scenes in Europe are so thick with potential that when the end does come about, it makes no sense and it ultimately lets you down. I was greatly reminded of Alan Parker's 1987 film Angel Heart and I could see a great many similarities to the two characters and the situations that they are in and I was sure that the movie was setting us up for a similar fate for Corso that Angel went through. But then, it just ends. There is some vague attempt at an explanation but it really left everyone in the theater confused. If anyone really knows what it is all about, please email me and let me know. I would be most greatful.

To locate and research the two books, Corso has to talk to their owners. When he spends some time with both of them and then the day after they both show up dead, there is a world of possibilities that could lead to. Again, I was reminded of Angel Heart where all of Harry's suspects turn up dead. A similar fate could have been in store for Corso but again, all potential for mystery and sinister people is all but erased because the story was too lazy to go the route that it should have. And that is too bad because, as I said before, the film has so much potential, so much. But it was wasted. Sure there is an underlying theme about being seduced by power and the dark side but again it is not explored at all, and you would think that a film that runs over 2 hours could explain more of that to us.

The Ninth Gate is a fascinating film with an intriguing story and it keeps you interested throughout the film. I liked it for that and if only the ending would have told me more then I would think this film is one of the best ones that I have seen on the occult. But with the confusing ending, it just feels like something is missing, and it is.

7.5 out of 10 ( should have been a 9 )

Mon May 29, 2006 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

What a dissapointing mess of a film. I guess all "great" directors have their bad films, and this is certainly an extremely dissapointing entry by Polanski. The plot is so full of holes and require far too much suspension of disbelief for the film to be as interesting as it could have been.

Polanski does manage to add a good deal of atmospherics and the majority of the cast provide decent performances but that can't save the film in the end. The ending is perhaps the worst part of the film.

C+

Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:32 am
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: The Ninth Gate
I dunno, I think it's pure Polanski. The world it depicts is just as chaotic and unsettling as Rosemary's Baby or Chinatown.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:03 pm
Pure Phase

It's creepy and nicely acted and compelling...but the ending is SO lame.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:10 pm
Wallflower

I remember liking it until the awful ending.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:38 am
New Server, Same X

I remember watching this and thinking I was going to be bored, but I was invested until the very end. And maybe thanks to Depp. He can carry anything. Too bad he probably wouldn't do a Ninth Gate now in his career.

***1/2 / ****

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:08 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Eh, he did Secret Window during the beginning of his hype, and that was even worst than this.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:03 am
Wallflower

I liked Secret Window :P.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:10 pm
now we know

The Ninth Gate

I think I've got something wrong with my memory. This is the second movie within a week that I've revisited thinking that I've never seen it before. I've seen it, but only remembered the key scenes. Anyway, I liked it this time. It was quite good. It has that Hitchcockian thriller vibe to it. Polanski knows how to direct this type of movie well. And what's the best part? DEPP WAS NOT JACK SPARROW! Depp actually contained himself well, he did a good job. I think Depp's problem is that because he's such a bad actor, he needs a great director to guide him, so when he's working in most other films, he lacks that guidance and therefore gives a bad performance. Not the sign of a great actor. But nonetheless Depp is a star. Great story, a little slow, but a good mystery all round.

B

Next up: Nick of Time or The Astronaut's Wife

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:33 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I love you, Algren, but don't say Johnny Depp is a bad actor. ;)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:35 am
now we know

Just to give my two cents; The Secret Window is awful.

Sorry, David, but he is a terrible actor. I have never seen him even master the emotion of intensity, which is pretty easy to do - even Tatum can do that.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:37 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

He certainly did so as John Dillinger in Public Enemies.

Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:47 am
now we know

He was ok in that, yeah.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]