Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Serenity (2005) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 47%  47%  [ 22 ]
B 34%  34%  [ 16 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 47

Serenity (2005) 
College Boy Z

Post Serenity (2005)
Serenity

Quote:
Serenity is a 2005 space western film written and directed by Joss Whedon. It is a continuation of the short-lived 2002 Fox science fiction television series Firefly, taking place after the events of the final episode. Set in 2518, Serenity is the story of the captain and crew of a cargo ship. The captain and first mate are veterans of the Unification War, having fought on the losing side. Their lives of petty crime are interrupted by a psychic passenger who harbors a dangerous secret.

The film was released in North America on September 30, 2005 by Universal Pictures. It received generally positive reviews and was number two its opening weekend, taking in $10.1 million its first weekend. The movie spent two weeks in the top ten, and its total domestic box office gross was $25.5 million with a foreign box office gross of $13.3 million. However, it did not make back its budget until its release on DVD. Serenity won film of the year awards from Film 2005 and FilmFocus. It also won IGN Film's Best Sci-Fi, Best Story and Best Trailer awards and was runner up for the Overall Best Movie. It also won the Nebula Award for Best Script for 2005, the 7th annual 'User Tomato Awards' for best Sci-Fi movie of 2005 at Rotten Tomatoes, the 2006 viewers choice Spacey Award for favorite movie, the 2006 Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form and the 2006 Prometheus Special Award.

Last edited by zingy on Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:59 pm
Extraordinary

And before anyone cries "Foul!", I've seen it four times.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:42 am
Extraordinary

A.

Do you need to have seen the TV series to climb on board this movie?

Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:13 am
Extraordinary

The Dark Shape wrote:
A.

Do you need to have seen the TV series to climb on board this movie?

It helps, but no, it's not required. The plot's spelled out well for a newbie audience -- some of the nuiances (such as who Shepherd Book is to the crew) will be lost, but you'll be able to follow the film just fine.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:10 am
Speed Racer

well, that one F is completely fair, i mean it is probably one of the people who saw it at the screening, not just some ass with a grude.
The 2 A's so far are completely justified. Dark Shape who saw it repeatedly, and myself, who has also seen it repeatedly. I will give a whole actual review later, i have to go shortly to go see Serenity, but i just want to say how amazingly pleased i am with the RT score. Now whenever some genius insists that the movie is actually a horrible movie and the only people who like it are the fans, i can just calmly refer them to RT where it has an 80% and CotC where it has an 83% (As of 941 pacific time). :)

Users- 96%
Cinemascore- A
Metacritic- 74%
IMDB- 8.5 (15,619 votes) top 250: #125

I HAVE BEEN A MEMBER HERE SINCE THE FORUMS STARTED
THIS IS JUST A NEWER NAME

1-Serenity
2-Aliens
3-Terminator 2: Judgment Day
4-Scream
5-Drop Dead Gorgeous

Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

well, that one F is completely fair, i mean it is probably one of the people who saw it at the screening, not just some ass with a grude.
The 2 A's so far are completely justified. Dark Shape who saw it repeatedly, and myself, who has also seen it repeatedly. I will give a whole actual review later, i have to go shortly to go see Serenity, but i just want to say how amazingly pleased i am with the RT score. Now whenever some genius insists that the movie is actually a horrible movie and the only people who like it are the fans, i can just calmly refer them to RT where it has an 80% and CotC where it has an 83% (As of 941 pacific time). :)

Conspiracy Theory Number 1: Movie got good ratings so it may boost up the market : )

Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Hoban Washburne wrote:

Conspiracy Theory Number 1: Movie got good ratings so it may boost up the market : )

You're a poor man's wertham! :mad:

Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

bABA wrote:
Hoban Washburne wrote:

You're a poor man's wertham! :mad:

i just lay down possibilities ... i dont neccessarily believe in any of them.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

As you know, or don't know, I'm a big Joss Whedon fan. I love Buffy and Angel to death, if there was a fire at my house, i would save my DVDs.

As for Firefly, I could rarely get into it, but stuck with it as i had bought the DVDs. The show improved vastly as it wore on. Why FF didn't do well on TV maybe for a lot of reasons, a) Fox, b) Fox and c) Fox. So it was nice to hear Universal have some faith and made a movie out of it.

When i left the theatre this morning, i could only feel sorry for the psychotic fans. 2 beloved characters die in Serenity, and they die bad deaths. It's only a death. But you have to understand the way they died to get it. This reminds me when Tara died on Buffy. Fans were upset with the way she died, and the fact that she did die. However i ask these over impulssive fans to think about it a bit more because there is life at the end of the tunnel, its only a movie.

As for the movie itself, I hate sci-fi films and i hate westerns, however Joss Whedon's script, love of the characters and wittyness make this a must=see films. I ask non-fans to go see this as well. As there are enough elements to welcome you into the story line, and come on, the movie is funny as hell.

If there is a problem with the film, its the pacing. It evident Joss tried to hard to fit so much into one film, however the film could of needed a few snippets and one story line, i just completely hated.

Lets hope audiences find Serenity, so the film can deserve its justified sequel. Summer Glau, who plays River, i guarantee will be the next best thing,

GRADE:A

Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:15 pm
Extraordinary

OK, I am NOT a big Buffy / Angel / Firefly fan like my wife is. Oh, the episodes I have seen I have enjoyed, but I can take them or leave them.

With that said, I find that Serenity is one of the best films I have seen all year. Really enjoyable, well written, well directed, well paced. It all worked and I had a great time.

No, you don't have to have seen any episodes of Firefly to enjoy this movie.

I give it an A.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:43 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Nicely done character-heavy sci-fi adventure movie. Hadn't seen the series, but the movie stood on it's own - I'm going to be needing to see some more sequels now...

I'm in!

5 out of 5.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:04 am
Golfaholic

Loved it, but not perfect. There are episodes of the tv show that were tighter and better, but it did a tremendous job to re-introduce the audience to the Firefly world. Whedon established the chracters new without repeating himself, kudos to that. Nathan Fillion is an extraordinary leading man, he really lighs up the screen, there are a few really good action sequences and surprises. On the negative side we have a few key characters from the series that just don't fit into the plot of the movie (for example Inara is just a bystander with no influence to the story and the romance between Kaylee and Simon feels out of place here). Another negative are the hidden thank yous to the fans (i.e. "Can't stop the signal" and the final monologue "Love will keep a ship flying") but those are just minor gripes. It would be a shame if Whedon doesn't get the chance to expand his universe after this outing

A-

Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:36 am
Hot Fuss

Terrible! I was horribly dissappointed and I can't fathom why anyone would consider giving this an A. This almost rivals Sin City as the most overrated, dissapointing film of the year. Everything about it was close to terrible. I felt like I was watching a Scifi Channel movie. Seriously.

The special effects, at times, were great. Other times, less than believable. Still, I give them credit for doing a nice job with them. :)

The characters were a huge mess. Most of them sat around, looking at eachother, fiddling their thumbs. Did anyone actually DO something in this movie? The engineer chick left her mouth opened stunned at *something* for the whole movie. The leader was a joke - he got tossed around to the audiances delight (oh, yes, I was laughing so hard. Because this hasn't been done to death in better movies). He had plently of overused, sarcastic remarks. Basically, he did nothing. What really agitated me about the characters was their speech... I hated their slang, especially. It was difficult to follow the plot and made them seem pretty silly- and then, they would pretend to get all high-brow on the audiance in all the wrong places. It just didn't fit. Nothing worked for me. It all felt cheap, down to the acting, the cable-quality production (most of it), and the mess of a plot. It didn't thrill me or excite me like I hoped, and it left me.

C-. An Unfortunate letdown.

For the record, I wasn't looking for thrills or 'splosions... I was looking for a coherent, intelligent, scifi film. I got a mess of a 2 hour long TV movie.

Oh, and I love how every planet looks like Southern California. Muwhahaha

Last edited by Maximus on Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:26 am
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I loved it and i never watched the series. i think it's my third favorite movie of the year behind sin city and crash.

A-

1. The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
2. The Royal Tenenbaums
3. No Country for Old Men
4. Rushmore
5. Being John Malkovich

Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

You know what terraforming is, right? Did you listen to the opening speech?

Or did the "slang" confuse you?

Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:55 pm
Hot Fuss

Maximus wrote:

I love it how the fanboys insinuate that I'm stupid because I found the colloquialisms in the movie to be distracting and annoying. Terraforming sure is a weak excuse for having eight planets look like a desert, but that's just me.

I missed the opening speech. I came in during the video recording of the break out of the loonie girl. Excuse me for missing some little line that was meant to explain away the cheapness of the show.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commander and Chef

Ever seen a film that has the perfect amount of story development, the right amount of twists, depth in character that is just enough and not overboard, the perfect amount of wisecracks and humor, strategic timing for proper emotional or light hearted dialogue delivery, just the right amount of action, understanding between characters, and a director that is able to coordinate all these different things together and create the 'perfect' mix? No???

Well, serenity will be playing at your local theatres for the next coming months.

A+

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:53 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

The Dark Shape wrote:
Maximus wrote:

I love it how the fanboys insinuate that I'm stupid because I found the colloquialisms in the movie to be distracting and annoying. Terraforming sure is a weak excuse for having eight planets look like a desert, but that's just me.

I missed the opening speech. I came in during the video recording of the break out of the loonie girl. Excuse me for missing some little line that was meant to explain away the cheapness of the show.

Please tell me you didn't just say what i think you said.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Better than Batman, Arsi?

Yes

Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Right now this is my third favorite movie of the year. That could change though. This one seems like it will be better on repeated views while Batman and Star Wars may tire. I was a fan of Firefly, but not a huge one. I saw the entire season on dvd a couple weeks ago. I was really sad when it ended. The show was so great, and the movie carried it on. Everything worked in the movie. The action, the comedy, and the characters were everything I wanted them to be. From the beginning to the end ( :cry: ) it was non stop entertainment. I really hope Whedon continues with his trilogy plans, despite the poor opening day. We need more, ending it here is unacceptable. Easy A

Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:27 am
Extraordinary

The Dark Shape wrote:
Maximus wrote:

Hell, just point out these planets. Lilac (the "bank robbery planet") certainly does. Then you've got Mr. Universe's moon, which is pretty much a CGI model of satellites in exterior shots. Cut to Beaumonde (the "bar fight" planet), which is a pretty big city. Of course there's Haven, which is a mining outpost, so it makes sense to look a bit... barren. We'll of course ignore all the shots in the opening narration -- the ones that clearly show the difference between the Alliance and the "So Cal" planets.

So by my count, there's two planets that meet your little criteria, and a host more that don't. Maybe you skipped number day in Kindergarten.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:27 am
Commander and Chef

Maximus wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
Maximus wrote:

Hell, just point out these planets. Lilac (the "bank robbery planet") certainly does. Then you've got Mr. Universe's moon, which is pretty much a CGI model of satellites in exterior shots. Cut to Beaumonde (the "bar fight" planet), which is a pretty big city. Of course there's Haven, which is a mining outpost, so it makes sense to look a bit... barren. We'll of course ignore all the shots in the opening narration -- the ones that clearly show the difference between the Alliance and the "So Cal" planets.

So by my count, there's two planets that meet your little criteria, and a host more that don't. Maybe you skipped number day in Kindergarten.

or maybe people should realize that when a film is a continuation of a previous series, it almost becomes mandatory for people to sit through the opening as that usually does the recap where a lot of things are explained. i dont know about you but even if 8 planets were shown as barren, i think the opening pretty much covered grounds on why those 8 planets were the way they were. so next time, maybe sit through the opening before criticising certain aspects of the film you failed to understand because watching the entire movie was not required to begin withh.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:26 am
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

I loved it and i never watched the series. i think it's my third favorite movie of the year behind sin city and crash.

A-

That's some fine company. Right now, I think while the movie has certainly flopped in theatres it will have huge DVD sales with fans buying for certain and good WOM attracting people that didn't watch it in theatres because they were afraid to be surrounded by nutty fanboys.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:19 am
Hot Fuss

Maximus wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
Maximus wrote:

I was being facetious, so cut the crap. You forgot the Buddhist loon planet, which was certainly California-ish, too.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next