Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mulholland Dr. 

What grade would you give this film?
A 72%  72%  [ 13 ]
B 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 18

Mulholland Dr. 
College Boy Z

Post Mulholland Dr.
Mulholland Dr.

Quote:
Mulholland Drive is a 2001 American neo-noir psychological thriller written and directed by David Lynch, starring Justin Theroux, Naomi Watts, and Laura Harring. The surrealist film was highly acclaimed by many critics and earned Lynch the Prix de la mise en scène (Best Director Award) at the 2001 Cannes Film Festival as well as an Oscar nomination for Best Director. Mulholland Drive launched the careers of Watts and Harring and was the last feature film to star veteran Hollywood actress Ann Miller. The film is widely regarded as one of Lynch's finest works, alongside Eraserhead (1977) and Blue Velvet (1986), and has been chosen by many critics as representing a significant perspective of the 2000s.

Originally conceived as a television pilot, a large portion of the film was shot with Lynch's plan to keep it open-ended for a potential series. After viewing Lynch's version, however, television executives decided to reject it; Lynch then provided an ending to the project, making it a feature film. The half-pilot, half-feature result, along with Lynch's characteristic style, has left the general meaning of the movie's events open to interpretation. Lynch has declined to offer an explanation of his intentions for the narrative, leaving audiences, critics, and cast members to speculate on what transpires.

The film tells the story of an aspiring actress named Betty Elms, newly arrived in Los Angeles, California, who meets and befriends an amnesiac hiding in her aunt's apartment. The story includes several other seemingly unrelated vignettes that eventually connect in various ways, as well as some surreal scenes and images that relate to the cryptic narrative. A.O. Scott of The New York Times writes that while some might consider the plot an "offense against narrative order ... the film is an intoxicating liberation from sense, with moments of feeling all the more powerful for seeming to emerge from the murky night world of the unconscious."

Last edited by zingy on Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:39 pm
Lord of filth

Everybody wants a little lesbian love action at some point.

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The...

:blink:

Those last 25 minutes are so caught me off guard. It was certainly, interesting, but I didn't really understand some things. Heh.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:54 pm
I'm Batman

I've only seen one part of this movie. I give that part an A+.

Fri May 26, 2006 9:35 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

I love it. One of the best films of a great movie year 2001.

A

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat May 27, 2006 12:54 am
Forum General

It's baffling, and some could argue this as incoherence, but I disagree; it's calculated incoherence. And it's intoxicating.

One of my favorite films.

A

Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Ay ay ay ay ay ay. I'm still scratching my head.

B-

Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:26 pm
life begins now

Although I am still confused a great deal by it, it is a strangely satisfying film.

A-

Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:26 am
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

A masterpiece. Yes, it baffled me. But you know what, I like it when my brain gets confounded, I like being confused. And honestly I didn't sleep last night because I couldn't get this movie out of my head. Everything that happened in the movie was just so fascinating, the way the storyline was weaved together with Watts turn to a psycho, the last 30 minutes with the scenes all coming together, the director, the cube, the homeless lady, the accident. As well, not only is it a brilliant screenplay, but the film is also incredibly well made too, I've heard Lynch's name thrown around here a lot as a mastermind, and I see why. It has a strong pace, it's tense, hell it's even scary and thrilling at moments. The scene in particular where Watts and the Rita character find and enter the cabin had me so freaked, I swear, it was like my heart was about to stop. Masterful scene. Performances are all great, Watts could've got a nomination for this if not for a few overacted scenes, Harring is also strong, as is all of the cast. I'm going to have to think about this movie for a while longer, but I think this instantley enter my top 20 of all time, it's just that fantastic.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:45 am
Orphan

A+

A masterpiece. Yes, it baffled me. But you know what, I like it when my brain gets confounded, I like being confused. And honestly I didn't sleep last night because I couldn't get this movie out of my head. Everything that happened in the movie was just so fascinating, the way the storyline was weaved together with Watts turn to a psycho, the last 30 minutes with the scenes all coming together, the director, the cube, the homeless lady, the accident. As well, not only is it a brilliant screenplay, but the film is also incredibly well made too, I've heard Lynch's name thrown around here a lot as a mastermind, and I see why. It has a strong pace, it's tense, hell it's even scary and thrilling at moments. The scene in particular where Watts and the Rita character find and enter the cabin had me so freaked, I swear, it was like my heart was about to stop. Masterful scene. Performances are all great, Watts could've got a nomination for this if not for a few overacted scenes, Harring is also strong, as is all of the cast. I'm going to have to think about this movie for a while longer, but I think this instantley enter my top 20 of all time, it's just that fantastic.

Just admit it: You only liked it for the lesbian scenes ;)

Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:05 pm
College Boy Z

Post Re: Mulholland Dr.
What the fuck? :blink:

Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:57 am
Squee

I do not like Lynch.

I don't want to write a thesis in order to enjoy a film.

That's how I feel about Mullhollad Drive

*1/2 (D)

:glare:

Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:05 pm
College Boy Z

I'm probably not going to attempt his other work if they're similar to this. It's just so bizarre. I don't mind having to "think" about a film after seeing it, but I just did not get this at all.

However, Mulholland Dr. did have an interesting style and the performances were good all around.

Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:32 pm
Extraordinary

I think a couple of us were modifying to add the poll at the same time. :lol:

The lesbian scenes were probably one too many, even though I didn't mind. Still, one of the more bizarre plots I've seen, especially toward the end, and captivating. B+.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

Hmm... which "D" option should I choose.

:-k

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:07 pm

Jeez, that poll is weird as hell. And trying to fix it just adds to weirdness of it. So appropriate to the thread.

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

Cool, with 3.0 we get more poll options than ever!!

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:08 pm
loyalfromlondon

My thoughts can be found here.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:04 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Great movie, but I can't watch it without feeling extreme sadness at the fact that ABC didn't pick it up to series. I much prefer the original pilot stuff to the later, re-shot, third act.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:10 am
Team Kris

yoshue wrote:
Great movie, but I can't watch it without feeling extreme sadness at the fact that ABC didn't pick it up to series. I much prefer the original pilot stuff to the later, re-shot, third act.

Do you think, if ABC had the balls to pick this up, it will suffer the same fate as Twin Peaks (big hit, ruined by network meddling)?

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:12 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Christian wrote:
Do you think, if ABC had the balls to pick this up, it will suffer the same fate as Twin Peaks (big hit, ruined by network meddling)?

No, let's be honest: it probably would have died a quick, viewer-ignored death, although network meddling definitely would have gone down. Twin Peaks was a difficult show that really struck the zeitgeist with that "who killed Laura Palmer" hook. I'm not sure Mulholland Dr. could have pulled the same trick. But it would have great to see the setup expanded on some more, rather than having Lynch cop-out somewhat as he did with the movie.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:22 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Watched this for the first time tonight and it was great. Yes, it was very, very strange and I'm not sure if I really "got" the very ending, but it's incredibly compelling and fascinating to watch. The nonlinear storytelling is jarring and effective, almost like a puzzle that needs to be put back together. The direction from David Lynch is breathtaking and hypnotic - this is the first film I've seen from him and definitely won't be the last. And Naomi Watts delivers her usual tour-de-force performance. I thought Laura Harring was quite good as well, but Watts was just a powerhouse. I think I need to watch it again to fully appreciate it, as I'm sure there were many subtle hints and clues I didn't catch the first time around. Still, I loved it. A-

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:53 am
Profile YIM
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

D

meh

Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:21 am
Profile WWW