Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 10 Things I Hate About You 

What grade would you give this film?
A 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
B 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

College Boy Z

Post 10 Things I Hate About You

Quote:
10 Things I Hate About You is a 1999 American romantic comedy film. It is directed by Gil Junger and stars Heath Ledger, Julia Stiles, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Larisa Oleynik, David Krumholtz, and Larry Miller. A loose adaptation of Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew set in a modern Seattle, Washington, American high school, the screenplay was written by Karen McCullah Lutz and Kirsten Smith.

The film's title is a reference to a poem written by the film's female lead to describe her bittersweet romance with the male lead. The film was released March 31, 1999, and it was a breakout success for stars Stiles and Ledger. The film marks the directing debut of Junger.

Above average teen flick. I liked it. B-

Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:37 pm
Sbil

Not one of the best movies ever made, but probably one of the ones I enjoy the most.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:38 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU is one of my all-time favorite comedies. It combines a hilarious and witty script with some excellent acting and creates a truly unforgettable teen film with a whole lot to offer. I honestly can't see anyone not being pleased with this film in some way. It is just so much fun to watch and I quote it all the time. The script is brilliant and possibly one of the best teen film screenplays ever written. It has enough humor and character development to keep the audience interested and entertained.

Julia Stiles is great in her breakout role and I can really see why she became a star here. Portraying the fierce and independent Kat, Stiles brings a sense of vulnerability to the role, delving deeper into the character instead of making her primarily one-dimensional. Heath Ledger also does a fine job here and gives an excellent performance. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Larisa Oleynik both turn in decent turns. The two real scene stealers, however, are Larry Miller as the overprotective father and Allison Janney as the school counselor. These two actors are simply hilarious and I was dying with laughter whenever they appeared on screen.

Overall, this is a must-see film!

9/10 (A)

Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:01 pm
Profile YIM
Teh Mexican

B-

Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:02 pm
You must have big rats

Though entirely predictable, it is one of the very best teen romcoms, I have ever seen and while it really doesn't have much to do with its source (The Taming of the Shrew), other than the names and the basic plot outline, the performances by the leads, especially by Julia Stiles are refreshingly good. Thumbs up!

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:35 am
Profile WWW
MISSING IN ACTION

Def. Julia Stiles breakout role. Its a great Teen Flick..well more of a stereo typical teen flick with all famous Singing on the bleachers scene. Although it falls behind She's All That, it's still heart warming and nice to watch during those boring days and all you could watch is this movie on the U.S.A channel.

B

...burn, die, and go to hell bizznitch.

Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
je vois l'avenir

I thought that this film is actually really good, I've seen it a couple of times. B+

Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:57 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Loved this movie, but sadly don't remember it too well anymore. All of the leads give great performances and it was certainly well above most films in its genre. A-

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:01 pm
Extraordinary

Oh jeez... I've seen this about 10 times because the USA network... Very enjoyable.

B/B+

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:03 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

B+/A-

Best Actress 2008

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Watched this again recently. Oh, I love it.

"My insurance does not cover PMS!"

Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:38 am

This is how you make a teen comedy, an intelligent adaptation of Shakespeare for teenagres. I wanted to dislike this movie, but it was far to much fun.

Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:11 pm
Killing With Kindness

A-

Oustanding film, It gets better with each viewing.

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:45 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Not my favorite 90s teen flick, but not bad.

Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:53 pm
All Star Poster

I thought this movie was really good, makes my top 10 teen films easily.

A-

Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:13 am
Forum General

A fun, entertaining teen flick with some good performances. One of my favorite teen comedies!

9/10 (A)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Madoshi

I'm I sucker for Taming of the Shrew. Doesn't touch Liz N Dick, but very enjoyably.

B+

Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

Sometimes I think my age is a hinderance when it comes to enjoying films aimed at people that are about 10 years younger than me. And then I think that maybe it isn't my age but my memories of films that I grew up liking. And if I have to be honest about the films that I enjoyed, I remember older people thinking the same things that I think of most teen films today: they are good but nothing great. I remember films like Fast Times and Mischief and Secret Admirer and Porky's. They were funny and they looked at high school with a more sexual themed story. And maybe that is what is missing in films today. I'm not saying that T&A makes a movie better, but it sure makes it more realistic and funny. Because when it comes down to it, high school is a time when most people find out how amazing sex is. It is the first time they start to discover their bodies and it is the first time they actually make a concerted effort to get laid. That is what made films from the early 80's entertaining and it is the lack of that edge that makes movies like this one and every other film that comes out ( except American Pie, that is a true 80's film and it may as well have been directed by Bob Clark and produced by Amy Heckerling )in the late 90's a little disappointing.

This is a good movie, but it is hollow. I don't remember this as being all that high school was about. This certainly has elements of high school, but it is missing something. I do recommend this film because it is good, so much better than Never Been Kissed, but if you are in your late 20's and yearn for silly films like Fraternity Vacation and Wild Life ( have a maple bob brotha, they're fresh ), then you will be disappointed. But if you are under the age of 20 and have no idea who Jeff Spicolli is, then this is your cup of tea. I am unfortunately in the former group. So I will say treat yourself and go see American Pie

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Post Re: 10 Things I Hate About You
I could've sworn there was already a thread for this. I remember commenting on it. Maybe not.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:03 pm
Begging Naked

This is probably one of my very favorite teen comedies. Not exactly deep, but it's a rather delightful screenplay with quite the ensemble, from its young stars (Stiles, Levitt, Krumholtz and yes, Ledger are all very good) to the adult bit roles (Janney, Miller and the guy that plays the teacher in charge of detention). I need to watch it again sometime soon, especially with Ledger's passing.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I have this movie, and it's been one of my favorites for quite some time.

There really isn't anything special about, and it's hard to...think of something to say. Not because it's not memorable, because I know pretty much every scene like the yeah yeah. It's just a solid teen comedy, one of the better ones by far, with a solid soundtrack too.

B

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

AWESOME. Seriously, this is probably one of my favorite comedies ever. And, in terms of teen films, this is easily the best post-Clueless pre-Mean Girls release by far. A

Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:41 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

Bianca: "There's a difference between like and love. Because, I like my Skechers, but I love my Prada backpack."
Chastity: "But I love my Skechers."
Bianca: "That's because you don't have a Prada backpack."

<3

Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:14 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yes! This is in my list of favourite teen films ever. 1999 was a good year for these types of films.

Grade: A-

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:09 am
Veteran

Just watching it now, for the first time and really enjoyed it.. Ironic fact: Julia Stiles in this film in a scene reads The Bell Jar, and she is cast in the movie verison comming out this year.. something I noticed.

Last edited by Mr. Inc on Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next