Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Identity 

What grade would you give this film?
A 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
B 58%  58%  [ 7 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12

Identity 
College Boy Z

Post Identity
Identity

Quote:
Identity is a 2003 American horror film, directed by James Mangold and written by Michael Cooney. The film stars John Cusack, Ray Liotta, John C. McGinley and Amanda Peet. The plot was inspired by Agatha Christie's novel And Then There Were None. This film is remade in Bollywood as Khamosh...Khauff Ki Raat.

A great, twisted thriller, with great performances and a surprising ending, though these days, a little played out.

B+

Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:55 am
Devil's Advocate

Good movie, though the twisted-demented kid and his face at the end=A little cliche. Yes its murders inside his head but its still played out. Still entertaining enough, John Cusack does the job well.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:37 am
You must have big rats

This is a thriller as good as you get 'em nowadays. It is by far not perfect, but still great entertainment. There are a couple too many twists in this movie, but the original one (about this all being in the guy's head) was very effective and I certainly didn't see that coming. The movie manages to stay very suspenseful and thrilling throughout and the cast does a good just, in particular Ray Lliotta. I did have some problems with the very ending, but I can look past that. The overall experience was really good.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Mostly an engrossing thriller...until the truly awful ending.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:29 pm
Squee

I give this movie a C because I enjoyed the stuff going on in the guy's head (except the last scene with the girl and the kid). I did NOT like, however, how it was just stuff going on in a guy's head, and I hated hated hated the twist of this movie.

:glare:

Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:47 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

An intriguing, well-made and scary horror film with great performances and an awesome ending!

Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:51 pm
Profile YIM
Hot Fuss

Mediocre, but enjoyable.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

John Cusack what the hell were you thinking? There is absolutely nothing redeemable about this movie. Script written by a 5 year old, every horror cliche in the book on display, one of the dumbest endings I've ever seen the list goes on.

F

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:10 pm
On autopilot for the summer

The acting is superb, as is the setting and environment. For its short runtime there are plenty thrills and mystery, though not exceptionally scary, more shock value. I loved the way it was shot and the ending, while somewhat a cop out worked great for me. One of the best slasher films in years.

Really a lot happened for its 87 minute runtime.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:55 pm
You must have big rats

I rewatched it a couple of days ago and it's still a very good thriller which was somewhat ruined by its very final twist (a case of one twist too many), but overall very recommendable.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

Very few times have I been more excited to see a film than I was to see Identity. With the healthy revival of the horror genre in the last few years, film makers have been doing it right more times than I can remember since the early 80's. I think The Ring has set the bar so high for so many films that now writers are trying to do the next great thing to scare the hell out of you. And every film has a shocking twist to it now a days as well. Think back to films like The Sixth Sense, The Usual Suspects, Fight Club and a few others and it seems that everyone is now trying to give us the next great twisted film. Whatever works I guess. The only danger of that mentality is that when you market a film like the way Identity was marketed, you better make sure that your twist pays off and doesn't make the audience feel cheated. I read Roger Ebert's review of The Usual Suspects and one of the reasons why he didn't like the film all too well is because he felt that the twist was so truculent, so brash and so unexpected that he felt cheated. There was no way that he could figure it out and he felt that the creators of the film didn't play fair with it's audience. While I do not agree with that assessment of The Usual Suspects, I do understand what he was complaining about because that is how I felt here. The twist is so unexpected, so convoluted and so unfair that when it did happen, I looked at my wife and said, "What the hell...are you serious?" And from that point on ( and there was still about 15 minutes left in the film), I just couldn't enjoy what I was watching. I just couldn't buy into what they were asking me to accept. Without giving away the film, a good comparison perhaps is to say that if you were told that your two best friends were in a fist fight and you had to stop them from hurting each other, but then found out that it was all spurious expose, would you really fear for their safety or would you watch with a crooked grin on your face?

Identity is a film that is blessed with a plethora of excellent horror film elements. You have ten strangers that all seem to have some sort of connection. It is a dark and stormy night and the small area in Nevada that they are in is going through a torrential storm. It is flooding the roads so that everyone has to take refuge at a dingy looking Batesesque looking motel. The film starts out beautifully with a terrible car accident that may have been triggered by one of the other patrons when she lost some of her luggage on the road which caused the flat tire and this caused the accident. Everyone seems to be meeting by suspiciously conspicuous circumstances. What they all have in common and why they are all here is the million dollar question.

Soon everyone is settled into the rooms but other eerie events just keep popping up all over the place. And then finally someone dies. And in a most heinous of ways. She has her head cut off and placed in a dryer. Pretty gruesome stuff. But what is the significance of everyone being here and why can't they get out? It is almost like they have been brought here by some mystical force and it is keeping them here. Radios don't work, cars won't start, the storm is flooding everything except the motel and to make matters worse, there is a psychotic prisoner chained to the bathroom wall in one of the rooms. Add to the story that they all share the same birthday, some strange names and the you now have one seriously confusing film. And that is where the films stops being suspenceful and confusing and it heads into the absurd.

There are enough red herrings introduced in the film as well to throw you off of the real deal but some of those red herrings would have made a more compelling story than they one that the writer's want us to believe. But what does keep the film flowing is the actors. With a film blessed with a cast that includes Amanda Peet, Ray Liotta and John Cusack, there is never a dull moment. Cusack carries the film and every second he is on screen he makes you listen. He has come such a long way from his days in films like Sixteen Candles and The Sure Thing. I have never seen him better than he is here.

But ultimately what transpires in the last half hour of the film is what put me off. That is not to say that it will put a typical viewer off the film off, it probably won't. I have talked to many people that saw the film and loved it. They liked the twist, they liked the outcome and they liked how it all played out. I can't really tell you why I didn't care for it, but I just didn't. And this is coming from a guy that loved the twist in Fight Club, Sixth Sense and The Usual Suspects. Go figure. Maybe I didn't feel cheated in those films the way I felt cheated here.

6.5 out of 10

Maybe the best thing to do is just judge for yourself

Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Identity
It most definitely depends on its twist, but I actually think it works well in this case. The overall idea is pretty ingenious, and a nice twist (heh) on the thriller, and it's executed pretty well. Sure, it's as clichéd as can be, but I think that actually serves the story, instead of ruining it. The very last twist is pretty terrible, though, especially when the director felt he had to show everyone his own cleverness by repeating the key scenes throughout the movie that show that this plot development does have some merit. It's way too heavy-handed and panders to the audience too much. Overall, though, it's solidly acted and is pretty compelling.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:27 pm
Extraordinary

Wow! You guys are too cool for school!!!

{Here's my original review from April 2003:}

Identity: Whodunit Right?!

(First off, let me tell you I'm a fan of the whodunit, though I haven't seen all that many - the best in my opinion is Sleuth.)

(Second off, if you are at all considering seeing this movie - READ NOTHING ABOUT IT! - this review is spoiler free, but you want to go into this kinda movie with no info, period.)

I had a ring-a-ding-ding good time at this movie last night - it was in the classic Ten Little Indians format, in the classic rundown motel setting, with the highly improbable, yet logically possible plot twists and turns. Lots of good actors essentially slumming it, but appearing to make the most of this opportunity to play melodramatic with full-on cheesy dialogue. Plus, as the supreme bonus in this kind of movie, I never guessed whodunit!

Heaps 'o fun!

6 out of 5.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:12 pm
Stanley Cup

i hated this movie. the ending is probably my most hated ending of all time.

F.

Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:01 pm
Devil's Advocate

The ending is truly :grrr:

Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:01 am
He didn't look busy?!

the first 9/10 of the movie deserved an A-, and the ending deserved an F.

C+

Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
I haven't seen this since it came out in theaters, but I clearly remember what I thought of this. The whole experience was pretty damn fantastic until the first of the big twists (or the big one I remember coming first) with it all being in the mental patient's head. Once that was revealed, I officially did not care what happened.

My first thought was "so, I'm rooting for one of the good personalities to win so this crazy, fugly guy can go to a mental instituation instead of jail?" and then the counting down the minutes until it was over started.

I don't walk out of movies, ever, as I only see things I'm fairly sure I'll like and if they turn out to not be what I was hoping for then I'm only disappointed, but nothing I've seen in theaters was ever so horrible I walked out. Identity got me close, but there was so little time left by that point I had to stick it out, only so I could be 100% informed when I criticized the movie later.

It's a shame, really, because the rest of the movie was top-notch all around.

Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:37 pm
On autopilot for the summer

One of my favorite movies, and one of the rare horror movies where the "Twist" was not only good and effective, it actually was inventive. Probably my 2nd favorite horror movie of this decade after the Descent. A+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]