Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 The Transporter 

What grade would you give this film?
A 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
B 64%  64%  [ 7 ]
C 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

The Transporter 
College Boy Z

Post The Transporter
The Transporter

Quote:
The Transporter (French: Le Transporteur) is a 2002 French action film directed by Louis Leterrier and Corey Yuen and written by Luc Besson, who was inspired by BMW Films' The Hire series.

The film stars Jason Statham as Frank Martin, a driver for hire – a mercenary "transporter" who will deliver anything, anywhere – no questions asked – for the right price. It also stars Shu Qi as Lai Kwai.

The film was released in France on October 2, 2002 and in the United States on October 11, 2002. It is the first film in a series also consisting of Transporter 2 and Transporter 3. A television series has also been announced.

The film's popularity and success made Statham a popular action star.

Surprisingly fun action flick...

Jason Statham did pretty well for his first main role. Can't wait for the sequel.

B-ish.

Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:07 am
Where will you be?

Post Re: The Transporter
Zingaling wrote:
Surprisingly fun action flick...

Jason Statham did pretty well for his first main role. Can't wait for the sequel.

B-ish.

He was the lead in Snatch beforehand, a movie you really need to see if you haven't yet man. But yeah, this was fun, nothing great, but it got the job done. Kudos to the fight choreographers for getting so much out of the tiny budget they had.B

Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:43 am
Indiana Jones IV

This is a pretty impressive movie. Statham gives a great performance and the action is EXTREMELY impressive considering the shoe string budget they had.

B+

Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:40 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

THE TRANSPORTER is an awesome action film from producer Luc Besson (THE PROFESSIONAL, THE FIFTH ELEMENT). In the lead role, Jason Statham is completely charming and memorable. And the car chases and hand-to-hand combat sequences are well-choreographed and very fun. This is a blast of action from beginning to end and an easy recommendation for action fans.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:54 am
You must have big rats

After all the positive buzz, I was certainly let down when I saw it for the first time. To mention the best thing about it right away: Jason Staham. He's an amazing action hero. He has enough charisma, physical features and roughness to pull off his role. The fight scenes with him are well-choreographed and pretty imaginative. The rest of the movie is very very bland however. Most action scenes are boring (except for the aforementioned fights) and the ending of the movie is downright anti-climatic. Too bad, considering the movie had so much potential.

Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:15 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Decent movie. Some details in the plot remained unanswered(why were the asians were being smuggled and to where?) or I just missed that part. Fight scenes work, Stathman is convincing. The movie is a little bit short but its good that way as it doesn't drag on. I thought at the end on the cliff the dad would have to rush off or something due to police, and it would extend 25 minutes longer as he chases down the entire operation once and for all. But the movie just ended there. Good it didn't drag on actually.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:36 am
Hot Fuss

I enjoyed it, but nothing really exceptional.

C+/B-

Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

I thought the whole thing was pretty dull and silly. Which really isn't a review, but I wouldn't know what else to say on the subject.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:13 pm
You must have big rats

D

I thought the whole thing was pretty dull and silly. Which really isn't a review, but I wouldn't know what else to say on the subject.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but you seem to be giving out more D's than any other poster I encountered on here (except Box, I suppose).

Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but you seem to be giving out more D's than any other poster I encountered on here (except Box, I suppose).

That's funny! I knew I was giving out a lot of bad reviews, but I didn't realize just how many were D's. My instinct, I guess, is always to give something I though was pretty good around a "B+" and stuff I hate around a D, unless it's truly, uniquely painful.

And the reasons for the majority of bad reviews are a couple, but it's largely because I'm always more inclined to want to write a negative comment than a positive; bile and anger is, I think, much more fun to type.

Plus, I'm just not a fan of a lot of these.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:43 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:

That's funny! I knew I was giving out a lot of bad reviews, but I didn't realize just how many were D's. My instinct, I guess, is always to give something I though was pretty good around a "B+" and stuff I hate around a D, unless it's truly, uniquely painful.

And the reasons for the majority of bad reviews are a couple, but it's largely because I'm always more inclined to want to write a negative comment than a positive; bile and anger is, I think, much more fun to type.

Plus, I'm just not a fan of a lot of these.

Where are the C's? hehe

Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:48 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Well C's and C+'s are movies that I am, on some level, indifferent to. So I guess it's hard to work up the energy to write about them, due to all my apathy. :smile:

Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:55 pm
You must have big rats

Well C's and C+'s are movies that I am, on some level, indifferent to. So I guess it's hard to work up the energy to write about them, due to all my apathy. :smile:

Ah, I see your point. : )

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

I was surprised with how good it was. Much better than the sequel, there's no comparison between that cartoon and this movie which is a solid, well crafted action flick. It reminded me of 1980s style blood and guts action flicks, like Commando, though better than most of them. The Transporter wasn't trying to be anything great but for what it was trying to do, it did it just right. As Lecter says above though, it's really a showcase just for Statham, who did great in the action scenes and had real charisma too, more than Van Damme, Seagal or Norris ever had. He just needs to now follow Arnold's lead and aim a little higher, make some action movies with better scripts and production values. Imagine a movie like The Island with him in it, that might have worked.

On a side note, they really need to come up with a genre name for films like this. "Action" is too broad and includes everything from Raiders to Van Damme.

Last edited by A. G. on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:34 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Statham was great. With some very cheesy moments (Did he actually outrun an airplane?)

The fight scenes are great, and Statham is going to break out soon hopefully.

B+

The sequel was a big letdown.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:14 am
Draughty

The scene with him kicking people using the bicycle pedals was inspired.

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:47 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

After the great chase scene in the beginning, I lost interest. I love Statham, but even he couldn't make up for the rest of the movie.

Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:57 am
On autopilot for the summer

The best shot in the movie was the trailer shot hands down, when the guy looks throuh the peephole and and Statham kicks the shit out of the that door. Best shot of 2002 in my opinion.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:42 pm
You must have big rats

I was surprised with how good it was. Much better than the sequel, there's no comparison between that cartoon and this movie which is a solid, well crafted action flick. It reminded me of 1980s style blood and guts action flicks, like Commando, though better than most of them. The Transporter wasn't trying to be anything great but for what it was trying to do, it did it just right. As Lecter says above though, it's really a showcase just for Statham, who did great in the action scenes and had real charisma too, more than Van Damme, Seagal or Norris ever had. He just needs to now follow Arnold's lead and aim a little higher, make some action movies with better scripts and production values. Imagine a movie like The Island with him in it, that might have worked.

On a side note, they really need to come up with a genre name for films like this. "Action" is too broad and includes everything from Raiders to Van Damme.

I call these films "straight-forward action" which distinguishes them from The Matrix and Terminator and Indy.

Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

5/10 (C-)

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:09 am
Profile YIM
All Star Poster

this movie is boring, the first time I watched it I fell to sleep.

C

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:28 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: The Transporter
This still stays a great action flick specially because Jason Statham is so good in this. He pulls off those car chases really nicely and the action scenes are great because of him. Shu Qi is decent enough and these two definitely carry the movie. The movie outside of these two and a few scenes with the police officer falls apart and the comic timings don't work here enough.

B-

Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]