Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Halloween (1978) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 55%  55%  [ 12 ]
B 32%  32%  [ 7 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22

Halloween (1978) 
College Boy Z

Post Halloween (1978)
Halloween

Quote:
Halloween is a 1978 American independent horror film directed, produced, and scored by John Carpenter, co-written with Debra Hill, and starring Donald Pleasence and Jamie Lee Curtis in her film debut and the first installment in the Halloween franchise. The film is set in the fictional midwestern town of Haddonfield, Illinois. On Halloween, six year old Michael Myers murders his older sister by stabbing her with a kitchen knife. Fifteen years later, he escapes from a psychiatric hospital, returns home, and stalks teenager Laurie Strode and her friends. Michael's psychiatrist Dr. Sam Loomis suspects Michael's intentions, and follows him to Haddonfield to try to prevent him from killing.

Halloween was produced on a budget of $320,000 and grossed $47.3 million at the box office in the United States, and $60 million worldwide, equivalent to over $203 million as of 2010, becoming one of the most profitable independent films. Many critics credit the film as the first in a long line of slasher films inspired by Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho (1960). Halloween had many imitators and originated several clichés found in low-budget horror films of the 1980s and 1990s. Unlike many of its imitators, Halloween contains little graphic violence and gore. In 2006, it was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Some critics have suggested that Halloween may encourage sadism and misogyny by identifying audiences with its villain. Other critics have suggested the film is a social critique of the immorality of youth and teenagers in 1970s America, with many of Myers's victims being sexually promiscuous substance abusers, while the lone heroine is depicted as chaste and innocent hence her survival (the lone survivor is seen smoking marijuana in one scene). Carpenter dismisses such analyses. Several of Halloween's techniques and plot elements, although not founded in this film, have nonetheless become a standard slasher movie trope.

It's weird how we have threads for Halloween 2 through Halloween: Resurrection, but skipped the original...

Anyways, it was good, but I wouldn't call it one of the best horror movies like some would.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:09 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Post Re: Halloween
Zingaling wrote:
It's weird how we have threads for Halloween 2 through Halloween: Resurrection, but skipped the original...

lol that's what I said =D. But anyways what I like about this movie is that it doesn't need blood to make it scary and it did help give birth to the slasher, so basically it's the STAR WARS of horror films... which in my opinion makes it get a B + from me.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

I wouldn't go as far as calling HALLOWEEN a great horror film but it is a good one. I love Jamie Lee Curtis in it, I thought she was amazing.

8/10 (A-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hot Fuss

Completely average. I do appreciate some of JC's direction, but there isn't much to this movie. Not enough, anyway

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW
George A. Romero

A

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:51 pm
Teh Mexican

One of the best Horror movies ever!, i remember watching it when i was a kid on halloween, i was so scared :cry: :sad:

A

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:55 pm
La Bella Vito

The best horror movie every created! Michael Myers is one one of the most memorable movie villians of all time, and that mask is just so genius. Jamie Lee Curtis is also good, and I have never in my life heard a score be more scary for a horror movie.

A+

Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

Second most overrated horror movie, anyone? (right behind The Exorcist which takes the top spot)

And that's coming from a horror movies nut.

Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:06 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

C+

Second most overrated horror movie, anyone? (right behind The Exorcist which takes the top spot)

The Ring actually is the most overrated horror movie of all time. How someone can be scared of that movie shocks me!

Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
C+

The Ring actually is the most overrated horror movie of all time. How someone can be scared of that movie shocks me!

The Ring is one of the ten best horror movies ever made. Ever. And one of the three scariest as well.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:04 am
Profile WWW
Draughty

C+

Yeah pretty much.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:15 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Star Wars wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
C+

The Ring is one of the ten best horror movies ever made. Ever. And one of the three scariest as well.

What part is scary? I just don't understand why anyone would be scared by that!

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:25 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

A+. It's the film that got me into horror. As for The Exorcist, it's one of two or three perfect films that I've seen in my lifetime. I literally find no fault in the film at all.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:44 am
Mod Team Leader

61 out of 66 people found the following comment useful :-
The personification of fear, 28 July 1999

Author: Dan Grant (dan.grant@bell.ca) from Toronto, Ontario

I have just recently been through a stage where I wanted to see why it is that horror films of the 90's can't hold a candle to 70's and 80's horror films. I have been very public in this forum about the vileness of films like The Haunting and Urban Legend and such. I feel that they (and others like them) don't know what true horror is. And it bothered me to the point where it made me go to my local video store and rent some of the classic horror films. I already own all the Friday's so I rented The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the original Nightmare On Elm Street, Jaws, The Exorcist, Angel Heart, The Exorcist and Halloween. Now the other films are classics in their own right but it is here that I want to tell you about Halloween. Because what Halloween does is perhaps something no other film in the history of horror film can do, and that is it uses subtle techniques, techniques that don't rely on blood and gore, and it uses these to scare the living daylights out of you. I was in a room by myself with the lights off and as silly as I knew it was, I wanted to look behind me to see if Michael Myers was there. No movie that I have seen in the last ten years has done that to me. No movie.

John Carpenter took a low budget film and he scared a generation of movie goers. He showed that you don't need budgets in the 8 or 9 figures to evoke fear on an audience. Because sometimes the best element of fear is not what actually happens, but what is about to happen. What was that shadow? What was that noise upstairs? He knows that these are the ways to scare someone and he uses every element of textbook horror that I think you can use. I even think he made up some of his own ideas and these should be ideas that people use today. But they don't. No one uses lighting and detail to provoke scares, they use special effects and rivers of blood. And it is just not the same. You can't be scared by a giant special effect that makes loud noises and jumps out of a wall. It's the moments when the killer is lurking, somewhere, you just don't know where, that scare you. And Halloween succeeds like no other film in this endeavour.

In 1963 a young Micael Myers kills his sister with a large butcher knife and then spends the next 15 years of his life, silently locked up in an institute. As Loomis ( his doctor) says to Sheriff Brackett, " I spent eight years trying to reach him and then another seven making sure that he never gets out, because what I saw behind those eyes was pure e-vil. " That sets up the manic and relentless idea of a killer that will stop at nothing to get what he wants. And all he wants here is to kill Laurie. No one know why he wants to kill her, but he does.( Halloween II continues the story quite well )

What Carpenter has done here is taken a haunting score, menacious lighting techniques and wrote and directed a tightly paced masterpiece of horror. There is one scene that has to be described. And that is the scene where Annie is on her way to pick up Paul. She goes to the car and tries to open it. Only then does she realize that she has left her keys in the house. She gets them, comes back out and inadvertently opens the car door without using the keys. The audience picks up on this but she doesn't. She is too busy thinking about Paul. When she sits down, she notices that the windows are fogged up. She is puzzled and starts to wipe away the mist, and then Myers strikes, from the back seat. This is such a great scene because it pays attention to detail. We know what is happening and Annie doesn't. But it's astute observations that Carpenter made that scared the hell out of movie goers in 1978 and beyond.

Halloween uses blurry images of a killer standing in the background, it has shadows ominously gliding across a wall, dark rooms, creepy and haunting music, a sinister story told hauntingly by Donald Pleasance and a menacing, relentless killer. My advice to film makers in our day and age is to study Halloween. It should be the blue print for what scary movies are all about. After all, Carpenter followed in Hitchcock's steps, maybe director's should follow in his.

Halloween personifies everything that scares us. If you are tired of all the mindless horror films that don't know the difference between evil and cuteness, then Halloween is a film that should be seen. It won't let you down. I enjoy being scared, I don't know why, but I do. But nothing has scared me in the 90's, except maybe one film ( Wes Craven's final Nightmare ). If you enjoy beings scared, then Halloween is one that you should see. And if you have already seen it a hundred times, go and watch it again, back to back with a film like Urban Legend. Urban Legend will have you enticed at all the pretty faces in the movie. Halloween will have you frozen with fear, stuck in your seat, not wanting to move. Now tell me, what horror film would you rather watch?

10/10

Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I feel more generous about it now than at the time of posting my last comment...

...the grade is up to a B- now. :)

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Not one of Carpenters best. Still pretty solid thou

B-

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:09 pm
Mod Team Leader

I feel more generous about it now than at the time of posting my last comment...

Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this rate, maybe I will grade it A+ in 30 - 40 years.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

B-

Wow, I thought I was the only one not orgasming over it, heh.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

I have had multiple orgasms over it. :biggrin:

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:17 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Gullimont-Kyro wrote:

B-

Wow, I thought I was the only one not orgasming over it, heh.

Our movie tastes are becoming scarily similar :fear:

It just lacked a certain punch to make it truly terrifying in my opinion.

The Thing is easily Carpenters best. The movie gives me the willies.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:19 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Nasty. The Disc must be completely un-useable now. :sweat:

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:21 pm
Mod Team Leader

baumer72 wrote:

I have several copies...and Halloween is easily Carpenter's best.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Gullimont-Kyro wrote:
baumer72 wrote:

I have several copies...and Halloween is easily Carpenter's best.

I prefered The Thing. felt like a more lean tense affair in my opinion.

Still horror is a very subjective thing.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next