Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 11:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Transformers 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 46 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 30 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 92

Transformers 
ef star star kay

have you seen 'Ratatouille' yet?

Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:31 pm
Extraordinary

Hey Bradley..

have you seen 'Ratatouille' yet?

Just peeked in for 5 minutes so far -- I've got a Pixar posse I gotta wait up for...

Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:36 pm
Extraordinary

Pirates 3 still looks better, FX-wise. Sorry, guys, but shiny robots are a lot easier to pull off than living creatures.

Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:16 pm
Extraordinary

I'm not sure if I agree with that (I loved the look of Pirates 3's finale), but even then, I tend to talk about the visuals as a whole, not just when they're spinning around in slow-motion.

Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:27 pm
Begging Naked

Pirates 3 still looks better, FX-wise. Sorry, guys, but shiny robots are a lot easier to pull off than living creatures.

Thank you. :yes:

I'm fine with Transformers winning the Oscar though, considering Pirates 2 won last year for most of the same SFX.

And POTC3's climax > Transformers' climax

There, I said it.

Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

ILM did both films, didn't they? Either way, I'm pretty sure they are guaranteed the Oscar this year (it'll be incredibly funny if Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix picks up the third nomination).

Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:41 pm
loyalfromlondon

I was more impressed with Die Hard's visuals than Pirates' visuals or Transformers' visuals....

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:43 pm
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

Solid A. In fact, the most solid actioner since ID4, in my opinion. There hasn't been a real epic-scale action film in a long time -- lots of tentpole blockbusters with sparingly rationed action scenes, but nothing like this, no! Transformers just doesn't relent; when there isn't action, there's humour, and there's a whole lot more humour than most people could've anticipated.

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:52 pm
Forum General

Well i live in South Asian area and when the call centre guy came up, the roof exploded in laughter that i missed like 2 mins. The Berni mac scenes made everyone howl in laughter.

Quote:
Incredible entertainment...and I'm a film elitist.

My thoughts as well. Film elitists don't mind mind-less but good entertaining flicks.

The action was amazing but blurred but the slow motion scenes made up for that. The comedy was just beyond anything from the other blockbusters this year. I was disappointed with the big three this summer and this film easily made up for it. It will have great legs for sure.

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:57 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

EH...TRANSFORMERS ISNT EVEN CLOSE TO THE SCALE OF ID4.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:44 am
Forum General

Its headed to about 20 million near it total though.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:51 am
Profile WWW
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

EH...TRANSFORMERS ISNT EVEN CLOSE TO THE SCALE OF ID4.

In a way, it is. Different kinds of large-scale action, I might say.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:57 am
Devil's Advocate

One of the best blockbusters since T2? Definitley right up there for being bad ass in all its action entertainment glory. Loved it.

Just so fun. Shia and Fox do very good jobs with the roles their given, and I definitley agree that humor is a strong point in the film. The glasses searching scene almost cites silent film humor, with the movement and reaction gags and all. Impressive stuff for sure. I'd love to see Bay make a comedy once, just to see if he could do it. Because a lot of his films, Transformers, The Rock, Bad Boys 1 and 2, do a good job at humor.

I have to agree though that the final battle was actually the weakest part of the film. Too much shit going on, too much smashing. Though it was still VERY impressive... just not as perfect as the first 2 hours. The earlier action scenes like the opening, Scorponak's attack, the Barricade-Bumblebee chase though, are fantastic... Some of the, if not the, best action scenes since T2, once again.

I missed Barricade in the final battle, he fucking RULED in his one scene. I wanna see more of him in the sequel.

But I definitley have to credit half the experience to the visuals... ho.ly. fuck. Revolutionary. Insane. I wanted to scream "oh my goddd" about 5 times. It really did cross the line of "wow, those visuals are great", and became "holy fuck there's robots on my screen", as one review said. This is definitley one of those benchmark visual blockbusters. Bay also did a good job not just with the SFX, but setting up the shots as well. When Shia sees Bumblebee looking up to the heavens, the meteor crash landings, the autobots scaling the dam, there was a handful of shots in here that genuinly gave me goosebumps.

A lot of the plot(make that most of the plot) was stupid, but I didn't really care. I actually liked what Bay did with his actors and writing though, the movie had genuine charm... and that's all someone could ask for.

A damn good ride.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:15 am
Superman: The Movie

It's a fantastic film and one of the more enjoyable times I have at a movie in sometime..................until the final act.

It is wall to wall action. That's not the problem. My problem is it was too enclosed and because of that, too chaotic. I know this has been mentioned before, but hell, one of the five Transformers gets ripped apart and it's glossed over. Outside the few shots of the fighter jets, everything takes place inside that city, in the middle of all those buildings. Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't the final showdown be in a place where you can see everything and everyone spread out? Yes I know that would ruin the whole flare thing with Shia, and would also ruin the potential body count (Was anyone shown being killed in the finale?) but at least you could see the robots in all their glory? Everything just seemed to blend in and that didn't quite work as well as the previous action scenes before it. It's also about ten minutes too long.

And speaking of flares, does every Bay film have to feature one?

That saying, everything else pretty much works. The film has spectacular action sequences. That's not to be unexpected from a Bay film. Actually, early on, the action reminded me a lot of Pearl Harbor (Also liked the Armageddon reference). What caught me off guard though was the amount of comedy this film had, much of it coming from that small robot whose name escapes me. The best scene in the film works because of the comedic timing, which is amazing because it involves five CGI characters. I'm talking about the scene at Shia's house with him and Fox trying to find the glasses, while having the robots outside the window (Aka - The Masturbation Scene). That was very well done.

So if I had to grade each act of the film, I would grade each....

I - A+
II - A+
III - B-

Overall grad: A-

The film gets bonus points though for Jon Turturro and having Jon Voight shooting a shotgun.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:13 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Overall very solid and the most satisfying of the tentpoles after Die Hard. Good humor, amazing effects, and overall very polished film, action was good but not spectacular, (At times I was like, I can't see anything) The actual ending was as I feared being very cheesy, but I can overlook it.

After seeing this, I think Speilberg made a great choice putting Shia in Indy 4. He's easily the best actor of his generation right now.

A-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:53 pm
invading your spaces

Outside the few shots of the fighter jets, everything takes place inside that city, in the middle of all those buildings. Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't the final showdown be in a place where you can see everything and everyone spread out?

Visually? No. Explosions, debris, familiar environements help sell it. If the Transformers were all fighting out in the open in the mountains or the desert it would not have been as interesting as it was.

There's no story reason in the movie for them to go into the city, Duhamel's character is just like "Let's take it to the city!". If I put on my fanboy cap for a second, you could make a case that maybe he thought that the concrete in the buildings and city in general would dampen the detectability of the cube until they could get it to the military, since that's the reason they gave for building the Hoover Dam around the AllSpark. That would have been a good additional line to add to that scene, but whatever...

But really it's just because city destruction is cool and explosions are hot :)

Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Jmart007 wrote:
Outside the few shots of the fighter jets, everything takes place inside that city, in the middle of all those buildings. Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't the final showdown be in a place where you can see everything and everyone spread out?

Visually? No. Explosions, debris, familiar environements help sell it. If the Transformers were all fighting out in the open in the mountains or the desert it would not have been as interesting as it was.

There's no story reason in the movie for them to go into the city, Duhamel's character is just like "Let's take it to the city!". If I put on my fanboy cap for a second, you could make a case that maybe he thought that the concrete in the buildings and city in general would dampen the detectability of the cube until they could get it to the military, since that's the reason they gave for building the Hoover Dam around the AllSpark. That would have been a good additional line to add to that scene, but whatever...

But really it's just because city destruction is cool and explosions are hot :)

I didn't mean like out in a open space like the chase scene in Hulk. Although that looked visually impressive, it became somewhat boring. I don't really have a good alternate location where they could've put the scene, but everything just felt compressed. Don't get me wrong, visually it looked great, but it was a little too hectic for me. It might have been because I was drained at that point in the film, so that could've been a reason. I'll eventually see the film again though and I'll see if I feel differently.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I only wish there wasn't so much cutting. It kind of reminded me of my reaction to the Bourne movies, where I was like "Dammit, I don't want my camera to seizure, I just want to see Bourne beat the shit out of this guy". I definitley lost track of who was blowing up who. But it was still awesome.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:07 pm
Team Kris

"You've failed me yet again, Starscream."

:lol:

Loved that.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:04 pm
Commander and Chef

actually, the whole megatron and optimus lines were from the series ... cept megatron is slightlyy less cocky in the series.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

oh i thought it was a rip off from Darth vader.

Still lots of fun.

THe jokes from the Transformers themselves were funny as well.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Directed by action movie vet Michael Bay, Transformers delivers everything that is expected of it and ends up being one of the more enjoyable action films of the summer. It's big, expensive, goofy fun from beginning to end - boasting some of the most extraordinary action sequences on record. The final hour is the best - full of non-stop excitement and suspense. Shia LaBeouf delivers yet another charismatic and captivating performance, solidifying his presence as Hollywood's next big thing. Megan Fox does alright with the "love interest" role, Anthony Anderson and Bernie Mac are both funny in small roles and Rachael Taylor also gives a respectable performance. Josh Duhamel does what he can with an underdeveloped role, and Tyrese Gibson's character is completely pointless. Jon Voight is probably the worst, delivering an incredibly mediocre performance. But no one sees films of this sort for the performances - they are all about the spectacle, and in that department Bay delivers in full force. The special effects are extraordinary here, and the production value is amazing. There is also a great deal of humor that succeeds as well. Anyways, it's not a phenomenal film, but it's incredibly entertaining and is sure to make audiences everywhere cheer. The 2007 summer blockbuster crown still easily goes to Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End, however ;)

A-/B+

Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:36 am
Profile YIM
Defeats all expectations

Recycled entertainment works! Combine some stereotypically funny characters with a generic main plot, stir them into a pool of mind-numbing non-stopping visuals, and you'll get Transformers.

Granted, Transformers has enough sitcom jokes and pop culture references to keep one entertained. But they add nothing to the main plot, that is, the robotic battle to find and keep the Cube --- the origin of all creative power. In fact, those hilarious moments reduce the importance of the main plot to a secondary status. I mean, the seriousness of the main plot and the lightheartedness of the characters do not fit together. Maybe that's why the concluding sequence with Optimus Prime providing voiceover felt so generic, pretentious, and tiresome to me. (But fortunately, the interview with Sam's parents during the credits was redeemingly funny.)

I dare Hollywood to make the main plot as funny and playful as the jokes. Perhaps an unprecedented deliberative anticlimactic ending would help a great deal.

Minus the triteness and seriousness of the main plot, Transformers would well deserve a solid B-.

Grade: C+

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:18 pm
---------

Waaaay better than what I was expecting. The whole cast does extremely well, has a "real" feel to it. The movie made everything seem interesting, the only thing they didn't explain well was the Cube. Plus you never felt any real attachment to the robots besides Bumblebee. The movie was also freaking hilarious, had a nice sense of humor to it.

Grade: A-

BUT

I'D LIKE TO SMACK ALL OF YOU KJ'ERS WHO HAD VIDEO CLIPS OF ACTION SEQUENCES FROM TRANSFOMRERS AS THEIR AVATAR. WHY RUIN A MOVIE'S SURPRISES??? I FELT LIKE I HAD SEEN ALL OF THESE SHOTS BEFORE.

THANKS FOR RUINING A GOOD PORTION OF THE MOVIE

Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:53 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Everything about it. The plot, the script, the action, the FX.

9.9/10 A+

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next