Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie

Quote:
El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (or simply El Camino) is a 2019 American neo-western crime drama film that serves as the epilogue of the television series Breaking Bad. Series creator Vince Gilligan wrote, directed and produced the film, with Aaron Paul reprising his role as Jesse Pinkman. The plot follows what happens to Pinkman following the events of the show's series finale.

The film was released digitally on Netflix, as well as limited theatrically, on October 11, 2019, with television broadcast at a later date on AMC. It received positive reviews from critics, who praised Paul's performance and noted it as closure for fans of the series.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:04 am
Forum General

Post Re: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie
I just finished Season 5 earlier today, and then watched this immediately after and man did it not disappoint. Aaron Paul killed it as usual, and it was really cool seeing those cameos even though there might have been some inconsistencies. I got to say though that more than anything else I absolutely loved the cinematography in this movie. Just the way it's shot looks beyond beautiful and very cinematic, and I also wasn't expecting Scotty from The Righteous Gemstones to show up either.

That guy is great in this too.

B+

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:45 am
The Kramer

El Camino is good, but just like with Saul, not necessarily the story I wanted to see. I figured it would be a 5-years-later type of thing, but it doesn't even go five days past the end of the show. I had already assumed that Jesse made it out of town alive after his thrilling escape from the nazis, and didn't really need the details of how he found Todd's (there's a lot of Todd) secret hiding spot for his money.

The movie looks great and has some incredibly tense sequences though. And Aaron Paul does a great job as a man who lost everything trying to reshape himself.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:57 pm
New Server, Same X

The sagas of Saul Goodman and Jesse Pinkman never needed a beginning or an ending, but both are excellent. The storytelling style of BCS is a heavy influence on El Camino. We get extended scenes that don't seem crystal clear at first, but they eventually get to the point, and it's engrossing getting to each and every point.

Like the finale of Breaking Bad, it's easy to predict where it goes. Right from the start, it's obvious Jesse plans on getting to Alaska. And barring any last minute sad ending, we know he'll get there. But the journey there is terrific.

Of course, the question of who from the Breaking Bad universe would show up was hanging heavy over the film, but thankfully we got a few new characters who may end up appearing on Better Call Saul (despite their fates here) in Casey and Neil (a fun villainous turn from The Mick's Scott MacArthur). But of the returning characters, the most fun come from more fleshed-out scenes with Jesse Plemons' Todd and Robert Forster's Ed "The Disappearer" Galbraith. And then there's the beautiful opening and two closing flashbacks that give a lot of weight to the story in just simple lines: Mike telling Jesse that "making things right" is something he can never do; and, Walter saying to Jesse "You're really lucky, you know that? You didn't have to wait your whole life to do something special."

Necessary? Not at all. But a satisfying conclusion to, perhaps, one of the few flawed characters of the original series that deserved a proper ending? Absolutely. And it's far from a happy ending. Jesse disappears to Alaska, alone. The closing flashback with Jane reminds us that Jesse's happy ending can never happen, because of everything he's done. But it's a far better fate than most from the series. One can only imagine he will have the best fate of the three pivotal Breaking Bad characters (along with Walter and Saul).

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:02 pm
Top Poster

I wouldn't call this a movie. It is nothing more than an an extended epilogue episode to one of the best TV series of all time. It's just as good as the show was and a nice slice of the past.

Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:48 pm
Keeping it Light

It's a good film and an effective continuation of the tv series. It doesn't peak like the show did, it would be hard without what made Breaking Bad so leading in Walter White's character, but his appearance is well appreciated and Aaron Paul does manage to totally get back into Jesse Pinkman's skin again. Everything about this actually is a pleasant reminiscence about the show, gritty events and motivations, interesting characters, glad they made this.

B

Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]