Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Adam 

What grade would you give this film?
A 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 7

Adam 

Post Adam
Adam

Quote:
Adam is a 2009 comedy-drama film written and directed by Max Mayer, starring Hugh Dancy and Rose Byrne. The film follows the relationship between a young man named Adam (Dancy) with Asperger syndrome and the woman of his dreams, Beth (Byrne). Mayer was inspired to write the film's script when he heard a radio interview with a man who had Asperger's.

Filming took place in New York in December 2005. The film premiered at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival, where it won the Alfred P. Sloan Prize, and was released in United States on July 29, 2009. The release date in Canada and the UK was August 7th, August 20th in Australia, and everywhere else after Labor Day.

Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:17 am
Profile WWW
"no rank"

Post Re: Adam
Almost a perfect NYC fairy tale. Dancy did some incredible work in this film, completely overshadowing Bryne. I wouldn't be surprised if Dancy received a Golden Globe nomination.

There are a few pacing issues and the subplot with Beth's parents is distracting. But otherwise, really sweet and charming.

A-

Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:22 am

hmm, interesting.
I thought it looked to have potential but would most likely turn out annoying.
I would say I'll look into it, but I'm moving to a smaller town before I have the chance and I'm not sure they'll ever get it.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:34 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

A-

Darcy is incredible in this. Even though I feel Beth's parental crisis subplot justified the ending, i just think they could have done it better or come at it from a different angle because the film was called Adam, not Beth.

Charming movie, but ultimately very depressing.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:59 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
I haven't seen it.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I saw it today and absolutely loved it. Darcy was incredibly and Byrne was great as well. It was by far the most romantic movie I've seen all year and I hope it stays around for a bit so I can see it again. At the moment it's my second favorite movie of the year behind ADVENTURELAND.

10/10 (A+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

ADAM - 9/10 (A-)

This was WONDERFUL! A sweet, sensitive film with a very good performance by Rose Byrne and an award-worthy turn by Hugh Dancy. He gives one of my favorite male performances of the year. It's an overlooked gem and it's a shame it's getting no awards attention. The song "When You Find Me" is deserving of a Best Song nomination. It is eligible, but it will be overshadowed by the more obvious nominees. I had to buy the soundtrack right away after watching the film, not just for this song, but for all of them.

This is one of my favorites of the year.

:wub2:

Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:17 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Hugh Dancy is in fact quite remarkable.

Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:31 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Adam is an absolutely beautiful romance film that takes many risks and achieves them all beautifully. Hugh Dancy hits Adam's personality wonderfully by adding alot of richness to the character but also being able to communicate the disease in such a way that the audience can react and relate easily to him. Rose Byrne does a great job also as love interest Beth and even though her character goes through many rough turns especially with her family and completely trying to deal the way Adam lives and thinks, Byrne never breaks character. The film has plenty of emotional depth to it and although it doesn't end with the simple route, it does end on a hopeful and pleasing note. One of the best films of the romance genre. ****

Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Really glad everyone is enjoying this and I hope everyone will nominate Hugh Dancy for Best Actor for the WOKJ Awards, as well as nominate the song "When You Find Me" for Best Original Song.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:30 am
The Lubitsch Touch

based on the trailer, i award "Adam" an lol/10

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:40 pm
Extraordinary

ADAM

Finished watching this rental from netflix. I found it to be an interesting movie with some touches of comedy and loud drama. I enjoyed the acting from the principals. I enjoyed how the movie ended on a surprising note with Beth's decision at the end. The part I enjoyed most was when she was helping him learn certain things in order to handle his big interview. Overall, it reminded me of 500 DOS to some degree but not near as good or engaging.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]