Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Transformers 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 46 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 30 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 92

Transformers 
htm

Its just you seem to be pointing out the blinding obvious about certain aspects of this film and feel intellectually superior to those who enjoyed it because of that. I could be wrong but thats the feeling I get. :smile:

That wasn't the point - sorry you feel that way. I was, simply put, turned off by the film. If you feel that my reviews "point out the obvious" or have a tone that is condescending, skip them. I don't read these threads before I post my review, so it isn't as if I whip out a thesaurus and concoct a review that's meant to be a thinly veiled jab at certain people or ideas. Not at all. That's just how I present my views. This film just didn't hit the proper notes, imo. I didn't find it to be as successful as you - the shameful performances from veteran actors (Voight), the intensely annoying and cheap dialogue between the transformers, and the sore lack of character moments in the final act are all things that spoiled it for me. If I'm pointing out the obvious, then please explain why my opinion is somehow pretentious or condescending; you're reading too far into what I write, I think.

Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:58 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

the shameful performances from veteran actors (Voight), the intensely annoying and cheap dialogue between the transformers, and the sore lack of character moments in the final act are all things that spoiled it for me.

All very valid reasons for disliking the film. Hell those would be some of the faults I found as well, like I said they were a deal breaker for you.

zennier wrote:
If I'm pointing out the obvious, then please explain why my opinion is somehow pretentious or condescending; you're reading too far into what I write, I think.

Believe me its your style, I find you incredibly condescending most of the time, but I'm pretty sure its just a culture clash. I don't take it personally if I can because I know there's no deliberate mean-ness in you.

Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:11 pm
---------

Then I honestly think you have Alzheimer's. :smile:

And I find that massive text insinuating a person is a moron/deaf rather annoying as well ;)

Oh well that is my mad text, only used for situations when extreme passionate anger. I can't believe not a single person here shares my sentiments!!

Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:27 am
Commander and Chef

Gullimont wrote:

Its just you seem to be pointing out the blinding obvious about certain aspects of this film and feel intellectually superior to those who enjoyed it because of that. I could be wrong but thats the feeling I get. :smile:

That wasn't the point - sorry you feel that way. I was, simply put, turned off by the film. If you feel that my reviews "point out the obvious" or have a tone that is condescending, skip them. I don't read these threads before I post my review, so it isn't as if I whip out a thesaurus and concoct a review that's meant to be a thinly veiled jab at certain people or ideas. Not at all. That's just how I present my views. This film just didn't hit the proper notes, imo. I didn't find it to be as successful as you - the shameful performances from veteran actors (Voight), the intensely annoying and cheap dialogue between the transformers, and the sore lack of character moments in the final act are all things that spoiled it for me. If I'm pointing out the obvious, then please explain why my opinion is somehow pretentious or condescending; you're reading too far into what I write, I think.

every thing that you mentioned are excellent reasons for not liking the film.

however, everything that you've stated were points not just evident but clearly noted in the previews. the problem with your reviews is that you come here and state the obvious, like ... OMG .... i wasn't expecting this to happen.

its like me walking into a romantic film and then coming in here and saying the film sucked cause its romantic.

bradley's reasoning is more sound. even though i think he makes up most of his reviews, he rates the film keeping in mind what the film was suppose to deliver on.

Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:53 am
Profile WWW
The Original

Post Re: Transformers (2007)
So I finally saw it and......I am a little bit dissapointed :|

Let me say its a damn fine Action movie and the comedy parts did also acutally work very well though there are 3 points that do not allow me to give it the full "Kick ass of the universe grade"

-For some reason I expected a more epic storyline. I guess thats my bad...but well.
-For me Megatron was criminally underused. I wished there would have been a bit more background on him....but well.
-I HATE I repeat HATE absolutely that shacking close up action Camera shots! Thats really something that sucks and it seems to be in more and more movies! The CGI in the movie was bloody fantastic and you could have made some really epic looking shots if the camera wouldnt have shacked like shit all the time! That was already something that annoyed me in Bourne 2 and here I though it destroyed a bit the action experience!

Whatsoever.....At the end there is a fine sci-fi action movie with lovely humour and a ULTRA HOT girl!

8.5/10

Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:18 am
We had our time together

Best movie of the year and it will most likely stay there. The most fun I've had in theaters since 3 years I think. It was surprisingly really funny and maybe the most action packed movie I've ever seen. Tough I really couldn't make out what happened during the last 20 minutes but still great too look at. Going to watch this again. Loved it. A

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:00 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

I just saw it again and the scene where optimus arrives as a truck and transforms (when the autobots are getting their asses handed to them) and challenges Megatron brought tears to my eyes. That scene coupled with the music is everything i loved about Prime.

ONE SHALL STAND. ONE SHALL FALL

Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

It was great, AMAZING effects, incredible action, surprisingly good acting/story.

A

Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:21 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

A-

Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

Surprising film. actually enjoyed it.

B+

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:52 am
Commander and Chef

this is how transformers SHOULD have ended

[youtube2]http://youtube.com/watch?v=zkvp7V_Vut0[/youtube2]

Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:24 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Okay, this was a far more satisfying summer blockbuster than, say, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End or Shrek The Third. It has all the ingredients of a great, entertaing summer flick and delivers on them:

Humor? Check. I laughed out loud several times, actually the film seemed to have at least just as much comedy as the action. Action? Check. The action in this one was incredible, though I admit it was actually less action than I expected. It was mostly concentrated in the flm's final 30 minutes. Before that there are just occasional moments of action and carnage, but nothing big. Once the main showdown kicks in, though, it is simply breathtaking. Decent characters? Shia LaBeouf didn't annoy me half as much as I expected him to. He was actually somewhat charming and enjoyable. Great effects? CHECK CHECK CHECK. Seriously, this one WOWed me more than any other film in a long time. The CGI is perfect here. Seriously, I barely see room for improvement after this one. All looked photorealistic and that in broad daylight and in slo-mo at times. Excellent!

Of course the plot wasn't "all that", but I didn't expect it to be anyway. Overall, it was a bit different than I thought, but still great. Despite a running time of well over two hours and less pure action than imagined, it still never bored me for a second and was very well-paced and structured. I was just a bit disappointed that Megatron was in it for just about 20-25 minutes.

My biggest gripe with the film is Transformers talking. It just sounded VERY stupid and laughable...

Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:18 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I've come to the conclusion that Transformers is one of the best pure entertainment blockbusters I have seen... God, I hate Michael Bay, but he delivered in boatloads here.

Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:21 am
Extraordinary

Shack wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that Transformers is one of the best pure entertainment blockbusters I have seen... God, I hate Michael Bay, but he delivered in boatloads here.

O... M... G... !!!!!!

:pinch:

Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:38 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

It's official. This is the most overrated movie of the year, and I liked it :wink:

Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:57 am
Profile YIM
Commander and Chef

what a brilliant soundtrack

this film really deserves some oscar.

Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

its good; but the self aware characters make the ending very unrealistic; even for a michael bay movie.

though tyrese and duhamel shine with laboufs star making performance; too bad its playing a teenager!

Hello Michael J Fox 2.0

but...anthony anderson is at his funniest; but i thought the action; aside froM the opening scene & final battle; LACKED. theres tons of build up and atmosphere but little payoff aside from those 2; even the highway fight you couldnt tell wtf was happening.

Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:01 am
life begins now

Um, this is pretty kick-ass.

A

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:11 am
Profile YIM
Don't Dream It, Be It

B-

I thought it'd be more...epic? Reminds me of when I first watched 300 after reading the mass of positive best movie ever reviews/comments. Not really, but they made it sound that way. Megan Fox was pretty horrid really. Has she stared in anything else? Shia is fine though, and a good choice as the lead. None of the characters seemed interesting to me though, Shia kinda did, but he was the only one. I wanted some of the Transformers to be hyped or something throughout the film. Like when they first began talking about Megatron. I wanted him to fully explode onto the scene and whatnot, but it's nothing that huge. And I kept getting some of the Transformers confused in the final battle at the end. Mainly the ones that were just introduced a few minutes beforehand. And Optimus Prime was...uhm..I was expecting him to be the total badass for the Autobots, but he got his ass kicked the entire fight!!! Some of the action sequences were really good, and the Visuals are great, but nothing really wowed me. The last battle was good, but I wanted more.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:10 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Corpse wrote:
B-

I thought it'd be more...epic? Reminds me of when I first watched 300 after reading the mass of positive best movie ever reviews/comments. Not really, but they made it sound that way. Megan Fox was pretty horrid really. Has she stared in anything else? Shia is fine though, and a good choice as the lead. None of the characters seemed interesting to me though, Shia kinda did, but he was the only one. I wanted some of the Transformers to be hyped or something throughout the film. Like when they first began talking about Megatron. I wanted him to fully explode onto the scene and whatnot, but it's nothing that huge. And I kept getting some of the Transformers confused in the final battle at the end. Mainly the ones that were just introduced a few minutes beforehand. And Optimus Prime was...uhm..I was expecting him to be the total badass for the Autobots, but he got his ass kicked the entire fight!!! Some of the action sequences were really good, and the Visuals are great, but nothing really wowed me. The last battle was good, but I wanted more.

optimus is never meant to be a badass.

and the autobots are meant to be very very weak. the whole story about transformers is about how they know they're completely outclassed but continue to fight till the bitter end.

Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Corpse wrote:
B-

You now drop a point on BJs kewl meter :disgust:

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

bABA wrote:
Corpse wrote:
B-

and the autobots are meant to be very very weak. the whole story about transformers is about how they know they're completely outclassed but continue to fight till the bitter end.

So its likes Small Soldiers but on a larger scale basically. I got to get this one on DVD see how it holds up on the smaller screen.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:08 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

BJ wrote:
Corpse wrote:
B-

You now drop a point on BJs kewl meter :disgust:

:( Will an AIM chat change that? :(

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Thegun wrote:
bABA wrote:
Corpse wrote:
B-

So its likes Small Soldiers but on a larger scale basically. I got to get this one on DVD see how it holds up on the smaller screen.

Small Soldiers is actually...the PERfEcT comparison.

Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I saw it again on HD DVD and I'm dropping my grade to a C+. The film is just boring. Anytime it cuts to the soldiers, or the hackers, or to Washington, it loses all sense of pacing. There's a really fun 100 minute movie buried in the 150 minutes of bloat, but the extra time really kills it for me.

Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next