Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 The 'Canadian Idol' Thread 
laneyboy

Tonight was pretty atrocious. The Moffat just plain stunk, Alinka wasn't that great either. David has the most limited range I've seen. Josh was too weird and out there for my taste and Vince wasn't that good either. The only people that were noteworthy tonight were Julie, Casey and Emily. Although Emily's first few notes were godawful, the rest was pretty great and is clearly the best singer in the competition of what we've seen. Julie I think was vastly underrated by the judges and I believe that she has a good enough voice to get into the top 10. Casey was pretty good, but nothing stunning. I'm guessing that Emily and Casey will get through and possibly Josh as well, although I would prefer to see Julie and Emily get through.

Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

No one was good tonight, they were all just on various levels of suck. This was worse than Gloria Estefan night on AI3 or Showtunes night on AI4, it was really, truly awful. That being said Julie pained me the least, so I wish for her to go through - the rest of them? Never. Sing. Again.

Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
laneyboy

No one was good tonight, they were all just on various levels of suck. This was worse than Gloria Estefan night on AI3 or Showtunes night on AI4, it was really, truly awful. That being said Julie pained me the least, so I wish for her to go through - the rest of them? Never. Sing. Again.

Really? I thought Emily was pretty good, along with Julie. Cassey was just a meh, but not an all out suck like the rest of them. You have to admit though, Emily hit some really powerful notes.

Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Perhaps never sing again was a bit of hyperbole. Emily and Casey were okay, nothing approaching the level of Idol, but not the crap that was Josh or Alinka - who for some reason I liked going into this round, not any more. At least the Moffat stank up the joint, so I hope he doesn't get through. If he makes the top 10 based on that performance it would be a big disappointment.

Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Some days I'm a super bitch

Canada is just too plain deaf and dumb to get this one right. I predict that Josh will get through simply because his version of awfullness was more original than the others'. Another guy will probably take the second chair since Canadian Idol's voters are always a little sexist. I bet it'll be...eh...Vince.

I suppose I'll cross my fingers for Emily though. If she tightens up her lower register, she could actually do pretty well. She has more potential in her pinky fingure than the other seven singers combined.

Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

This year's Canadian Idol is sucking... a lot. Disappointing. I hope things start to look better once we are in the top 10 and are hopefully hearing "top 10 worthy" singing.

PEACE, Mike ;)

Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:02 pm
laneyboy

Eww, how did Vince get into the top 3? I guess it's the Canadian sexism kicking in again. At least Emily got in, but I don't see how Cassey got in before her. And I'm really hoping Julie makes wildcard, she was one of the few that were actually listenable. Hopefully the next 2 weeks will be much better than this, or we're in serious trouble.

Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Well, I actually think that Casey is an excellent singer and she gave a flawless performance Tuesday night. Her voice embodies that jazzy, tuneful style that I really like and separates her from the other competitors. I thought she was head and shoulders above the other seven and most definitely of Idol quality (at least good Idol quality like Kalan and Theresa, not crap like Ryan). I went out on a limb after her first audition, saying that she will go all the way and things are shaping up quite nicely in that regard.

As for the rest, I thought Julie was second best and Emily in third. Emily did well with the chorus, but her lower register leaves something to be desired (a far cry from Diana DeGarmo's version from AI3). Everybody else was pretty much crap, especially Josh, whom the judges heaped praises on like he was the second coming of Jacob Hoggard....shudder =; . It doesn't matter how kooky your performance is, or how uniquely you slur your words together if you can't sing to save your life. And Vince had no business in the top 3.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:22 pm
Profile WWW

I actually liked Vince. There's a certain charm about him I can't put my finger on.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:05 pm
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

I hate the producers of this show. They freaking STACKED this week's group. I mean, what the hell? What a great way to let crummy singers enter the competition from previous groups, and then cut out wonderful singers from this group.

I'm so mad right now. :mad:

PEACE, Mike ;)

Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:01 pm
laneyboy

What the freaking hell???

I hate the producers of this show. They freaking STACKED this week's group. I mean, what the hell? What a great way to let crummy singers enter the competition from previous groups, and then cut out wonderful singers from this group.

I'm so mad right now. :mad:

PEACE, Mike ;)

I'm with you! I'm about to explode right now! Pretty much every single person in this group deserves to be in the top 10. And I love Zach, he hit the nail on the head. "You can't beat cute boys on this show" So true. Now time for a little recap:

Best Canadian Idol show ever. Each singer was fantastic and it's heart breaking that only 2 get in, even though it's guarenteed that one of them at least are making it through wild card. Here's how I rank them for the night.

1. Amber- Such a powerful and stunning voice. The judges were right. It's just sad that at best she'll make it in second because of a stupid Canada.
2. Rex- You heard it here first folks, winner of Canadian Idol 2005 right here. He has the looks, the charisma and the voice. It's all locked up.
3. Devika- A wonderful tone and voice. Also has a fantastic personality. It's sad though, she doesn't have a shot tonight, too many good people. But she's in the wild card for sure.
4. (Tie) Barrett- Like the judges said, I think he's in. Teenage girls will go wild. And he has a pretty good voice too and stage presence. He kinda reminds me of Jason Greeley from last year (Who I liked in the beginning, but gradually began to hate since he beat out 2 of my favorites)
4. Michelle- Fantastic, powerful voice. But like the judges said, doesn't have enough emotion. Wish she could get into the top 10, but ain't gonna happen.
6. Giselle- Her voice is really good, but I don't think the song showcased it enough. Another one I'd like in the top 10, but won't make it.
7. Diego- Ok voice, I don't know why it was panned so much by the judges.
8. Barbara- I'm not a big jazz fan, but she did a good job.

Overall, fantastic night, and I'm pissed at the producers. Who's with me and wants a top 12? Or at least kick out some of the people who've gotten in already to make room for some of the great singers.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Well, allow me to inject some sanity into this thread...........just kidding, don't bite my head off 8-[ . I would have to disagree with you two. I thought tonight's show was merely decent, with the only real standout being Amber, who wasn't quite as unbelievable as the judges made her out to be (hyperbole seems to run rampant with these 4).

Barbra - A decent, cheese-filled performance.
Diego - Pretty bad when trying those runs and going for the higher notes. Too boring.
Giselle - Not a bad voice at all, just rather emotionless.
Devika - Horrendous to be quite honest. No power and completely lacking in emotion. You could see it in her eyes that she was surprised the judges raved over her performance.
Rex - I think this guy is this year's Jason Greely, a gruff bar singer that's a hit with the ladies. No way he'll win though, as this year it's time for a girl to take the crown.
Michelle - Very nice voice, but a rather mannered delivery.
Barrett - The dude had some nice moments, but was off tempo and was slurring some of his words together.
Amber - I swear this girl looks 35. She is a woman among children on this show and that maturity comes out in her singing. She has a real nice low register and sings with a lot of emotion. But by no means is she the greatest thing this show has ever witnessed.

Rex and Amber will make it through.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Amber and Rex really impressed me tonight, almost to the point where I was compelled to vote for them - but that moment passed. They are far and away the best of the night, and the best of Canadian Idol 3 so far. If they don't get through I will kind of feel bad for not picking up the phone.

Unfortuntately I think Barrett will take Amber's spot, not because he is a good singer - because IMHO he isn't. But because teenage girls will find him non-repulsive.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
laneyboy

Well maybe I was a *little* overexcited and generous. It's just so exciting to actually see people who can sing for once on this show! I don't know why you think Devika is horrendous though. Sure, her voice could use a little more power, but she has a great tone I think.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Well maybe I was a *little* overexcited and generous. It's just so exciting to actually see people who can sing for once on this show! I don't know why you think Devika is horrendous though. Sure, her voice could use a little more power, but she has a great tone I think.

She didn't seem like she had her full voice tonight, I don't know. Near the beginning of her song you could hear her voice kinda cracking and struggling and she visibly put her hand to her throat, which is what many singers do to reach higher or when something isn't coming out right. Maybe just a bad night.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

Well, allow me to inject some sanity into this thread...........just kidding, don't bite my head off 8-[ . I would have to disagree with you two. I thought tonight's show was merely decent, with the only real standout being Amber, who wasn't quite as unbelievable as the judges made her out to be (hyperbole seems to run rampant with these 4).

Barbra - A decent, cheese-filled performance.
Diego - Pretty bad when trying those runs and going for the higher notes. Too boring.
Giselle - Not a bad voice at all, just rather emotionless.
Devika - Horrendous to be quite honest. No power and completely lacking in emotion. You could see it in her eyes that she was surprised the judges raved over her performance.
Rex - I think this guy is this year's Jason Greely, a gruff bar singer that's a hit with the ladies. No way he'll win though, as this year it's time for a girl to take the crown.
Michelle - Very nice voice, but a rather mannered delivery.
Barrett - The dude had some nice moments, but was off tempo and was slurring some of his words together.
Amber - I swear this girl looks 35. She is a woman among children on this show and that maturity comes out in her singing. She has a real nice low register and sings with a lot of emotion. But by no means is she the greatest thing this show has ever witnessed.

Rex and Amber will make it through.

They weren't amazing, but compared to the other groups, this one was majorly stacked. It's annoying that crummy singers from other groups moved on, when some singers from this group that won't move on, were easily MUCH better, even if they aren't "amazing".

PEACE, Mike ;)

Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:19 pm
The French Dutch Boy

Oh, I personally liked Michelle and Rex and Amber. Michelle was really good, in my opinion. Getting those high notes seemed seamless for her. Most girls have to change their embouchure or whatever to get into a new register. She has the great vocals, and can work on stage presence as she moves on, if she did move on. Meanwhile, others who have "emotion" will always have the crummy voices, so I'd pick the better vocals over the better emotion personally.

PEACE, Mike ;)

Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:45 pm

Rex is guaranteed to make it. I actually really enjoyed his performance. I think Amber will make it through too, but the fact that she doesn't look like a Canadian Idol (ei doesn't have a penis) could dent her chances.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
laneyboy

Rex and Amber are in. Big surprise. I don't think we'll be seeing Barret in the Wild Card round though, cuz if he makes it in there, he's in top 10 for sure and the judges don't want any of that.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Well, well. I think that show may have produced 3 genuine contenders. Melissa, Aaron and Suzi (in that order for me personally) were all great. I love Melissa's tone and she made it through that tough song without fault. I expected Aaron to sing big and boy did he ever. He's got a wonderful, booming voice and he really sells the song in his eyes. I wasn't digging the repititive nature of Suzi's song, but she clearly has a voice that can handle a variety of genres, not to mention a lot of spunk. The rest of the contestants all pretty much sucked, aside from maybe Luke who was just ok.

Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
laneyboy

Well, well. I think that show may have produced 3 genuine contenders. Melissa, Aaron and Suzi (in that order for me personally) were all great. I love Melissa's tone and she made it through that tough song without fault. I expected Aaron to sing big and boy did he ever. He's got a wonderful, booming voice and he really sells the song in his eyes. I wasn't digging the repititive nature of Suzi's song, but she clearly has a voice that can handle a variety of genres, not to mention a lot of spunk. The rest of the contestants all pretty much sucked, aside from maybe Luke who was just ok.

I agree. Although, I think Melissa was a tad overrated, she was good, but not what they were hyping her up to be. Aaron and Suzi were fantastic. Top 2 of the night. But who else thinks it's an absolutely dreadful idea for the public to vote for who's in the wild card? It's already bad enough we have to pick who goes into the top 10 for the wild card, but this is too much. Some great people that weren't exactly public favorites (Devika, Giselle, Julie) won't have much a shot. Meanwhile, we'll be stuck with Vince and Barrett now. Ugh

Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

BennyBlanco wrote:

I agree. Although, I think Melissa was a tad overrated, she was good, but not what they were hyping her up to be. Aaron and Suzi were fantastic. Top 2 of the night. But who else thinks it's an absolutely dreadful idea for the public to vote for who's in the wild card? It's already bad enough we have to pick who goes into the top 10 for the wild card, but this is too much. Some great people that weren't exactly public favorites (Devika, Giselle, Julie) won't have much a shot. Meanwhile, we'll be stuck with Vince and Barrett now. Ugh

Hmm, I didn't think Melissa was getting any kind of hype before tonight :-k . Anyway, it's the sound of her voice that makes her the best of the night for me, but I can see equally good arguments for Suzi and Aaron.

I agree that having the public vote the wildcard/s isn't a good idea. I fully expect to have a couple of pretty boys round out the top 10 now ](*,) .

Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
laneyboy

Well I'm happy those 2 got into the top 10, but what was that wild card thing. The whole "letting Canada decide" thing was a little lame. I mean, all they're doing is going from 11 to 8. How scandolous and groud breaking! I mean come on, if they really wanted Canada to choose, they should have brought back all 24. That 20 second pleading was just sad and cheesy. Just let them sing. And some of the decisions they made were just ghastly. Danian? Kalan Porter Clone (Luke)? I mean come on! There were some better people than that to pick from. I'm REALLY pulling for Julie though. 1. She's from Quebec and we need a Quebequer. Also, Aaron needs to be in there as well. He has such a great voice. Here are my choices of who I want in the Wild Card:

1. Julie (Should win wild card)
2. Aaron (Should win wild card)
3. Devika
4. Stéphane
5. Jenn
6. Vince
7. Barrett
8. Dianelys

The last 3 I don't even like, but considering the "talent" they gave us, not much choice. I really would have prefered to see Melody, Giselle, Michelle there instead of those 3. Ok my rant is now over.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Yep. It was pretty embarrassing to watch and Mulroney's sneeze didn't help matters :lol: . I'm really not looking forward to hearing 8 of these kids sing again, except for Aaron and Julie, who I agree are the 2 deserving of the final spots in the top 10. However, my predictions are that Aaron and Vince will make it through.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
rustiphica

There's a youngin' in that competition named Daryl Brunt. Don't vote for him. He's from my hometown. He's a friggin redneck. Stupid radio is always like vote for him!, vote for him! but this kid would be an embaressment to the city I love so dearly.

Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next