Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 The 'Saturday Night Live' Thread (Season 32) 
Sbil

Post The 'Saturday Night Live' Thread (Season 32)
For all the Saturday Night Live people here:

zap2it wrote:
Some of the rumors surrounding comings and goings on "Saturday Night Live" have turned out to be true.

The cast of the venerable NBC late-night show will feature only 11 regulars for 2006-07, down from 16 last season. In addition to the previously announced departures of Tina Fey and Rachel Dratch -- who are working on NBC's prime-time comedy "30 Rock" -- eight-year veterans Chris Parnell and Horatio Sanz have been let go, as has Finesse Mitchell, who's been with "SNL" since 2003.

The cast for the coming season will be made up of Fred Armisen, Will Forte, Bill Hader, Darrell Hammond, Seth Meyers, Amy Poehler, Maya Rudolph, Andy Samberg, Jason Sudeikis, Kenan Thompson and Kristen Wiig. Meyers will also serve as head writer, along with Andrew Steele and Paula Pell.

About a month ago, a spate of rumors about who might be leaving the show swirled through the media. Sanz and Parnell were mentioned in several stories; others had Rudolph, Forte and Thompson on their way out. Neither NBC nor "SNL" producer Lorne Michaels made any comment at the time.

Poehler, who has co-anchored "Weekend Update" with Fey for the past two seasons, will remain at the fake-news desk this season with a partner to be announced later.

The 32nd season of "Saturday Night Live" debuts Sept. 30, with comedian Dane Cook hosting and The Killers as the musical guest.

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-satur ... -headlines

Last edited by Libs on Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:16 pm
New Server, Same X

Awesome. Thank god Horatio Sanz is gone. Finesse Mitchell wasn't bad, and was often better than Kenan Thompson (yeah, I'm comparing the two black guys, so sue me). Chris Parnell was more often than not a glorified background player.

I love the new smaller cast. If they can't make this work, there's no hope for SNL.

Dane Cook so soon?

Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:42 pm
All Star Poster

Tina Fey and Rachel Dratch are gone?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I loved Rachel Dratch. Horatio Sanz always made me laugh becuase he laughed lol. But i'm indifferent to his departure. I liked Finesse's Appreciante skits.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Thank goodness Maya is still there. She, Rachel, and Tina were my fav's, but now two are gone. Sanz needed to go, but very surprised about Finesse and Parnell.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Tina Fey and Rachel Dratch left SNL to do 30 Rock. Then I believe Rachel Dratch was replaced on 30 Rock by Jane Krakowski (sp).

Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:05 pm
Superman: The Movie

FUCKING

GOD!

Who also suggested that there should be a smaller cast? Who was that again? :tongue:

Is Lorne Michaels a member here?

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Last edited by Jmart on Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

its about time they axe the entire bloody show

Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

They should have kept going with Darrell Hammond. If SNL could veer away from the political humor (which they suck at, because everyone does political humor), then Darrell Hammond would have no reason to be there. Or to live.

Any remaining impressions he has left that are non-political (one?) can probably be picked up by Bill Hader or Will Forte.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:12 pm
Some days I'm a super bitch

Darrell Hammond has been on the show for 57 years now. So show some respect, punk! :P

Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Libs, you might as well make this the "SNL: Season 32 Thread". If you don't mind, of course.

According to Wikipedia (and confirmed by the same person who confirmed Dane Cook would host the first episode with musical guest The Killers), Jaime Pressly will host the second episode of the season. Awesome!

I'm excited about this new season. I really think that without Chris Parnell and Horatio Sanz on-screen, and with new head writers, this season could be really good. Not to mention the small cast, with no featured players. Bill Hader, Andy Samberg, Jason Sudeikis and Kristin Wiig are my favorites, and I hope they shine this season with the other vets.

The longest-running cast member in the cast is Darrell Hammond, since 1995. Second is Maya Rudolph, since 2000. Next is Seth Meyers and Amy Poehler since 2001.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:50 pm
Where will you be?

I can't remember the last time I've laughed during SNL, two of their digital raps (Lazy Sunday and Natalie Portman) aside.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:01 pm
All Star Poster

seth meyers is supposed to cohost weekend update now. I like him, so I can't wait. :)

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:31 pm
Profile WWW

seth meyers is supposed to cohost weekend update now. I like him, so I can't wait. :)

Good choice. Hopefully Meyers and Poheler can have a similar chemistry that Aykroyd and Curtin had. That might be asking for too much, but from these two it's possible.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

The only problem is they dont have a strong leader of the group now, I mean that was fine when the actors were all top notch like with the original and the early 90s era, but this could be rough, hopefully they can pull it off.

The departures are fine though, why is Hammond still on the show though, he has never been that memorable and yet has been on for 9 years, its tim Meadows all over again.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:48 pm

I saw the first episode from last year (Steve Carell) and the Steve Martin episode. It's pretty amazing how quickly Finesse Mitchell disappeared. In the first episode (The hour long one on E) he was in three sketches - even one where he interacts with Lorne Michaels when Lorne pretends to forget who he is and how long he has been on the show. Maya Rudolph even comments "You still work here?" It looked like they were actually trying to do something with him.

By the time they got around to the Steve Martin episode, he was pretty much non-existent. I guess somewhere in between is when everyone learned that he couldn't do anything except for "Starqisha" and anything else that requires him to be in drag.

As for Sanz, I am convinced now more than ever, that when Lorne Michaels says he doesn't like the performers laughing during the sketches, he really means it. Sanz cracked up at least twice in both of the sketches I saw him in (Both as that singer from New Orleans whose name escapes me now, because it's late). I think they probably thought it was good when both he and Fallon would do it in a sketch, but with Sanz alone it just looked pathetic (I just realized that kind of sounds dirty. Oh well). I'm surprised that Sanz wasn't let go soon after Fallon left, but they must have given him a shot because he had that wonderful sketch known as Carol to back him up.

It actually really took me tonight to realize how much I hate Sanz. I had Sanz overload tonight. First with School of Scoundrels and with the two episodes of SNL. After tonight, all I have to say is good riddens, and hopefully, his movie career will follow suit.

Parnell? Who cares? He's just a bit player who was lost without Will Ferrell. He better hope that Will gives him some roles just like he did in Anchorman because without him, he wouldn't have a career right now. As a matter of fact, Ferrell was the only reason SNL kept Parnell, just because he insisted. Then he somehow managed to keep his job for a couple of years more. I guess it took them now to realize that he's just a bit-player and nothing more.

As for Hammond, I'm glad he is staying, but only because he does a great Geraldo Rivera, Donald Trump, Bill O' Riley, and Chris Matthews. If they can somehow work all four of them into a sketch a night, he should be in pretty good shape.

I can almost guarantee that this will be his last year on the show. They need to go with the youth movement, and they've already started to do it. Next year I think they will complete it and the show can really start anew.

Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:08 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Horatio Sanz is the least funny person I have ever seen on television. He thinks (and trust me, it's evident) that he is God's gift to comedy. All he does is crack up during sketches. Yeah, thanks Horatio. We already had plenty of cracking up during skits with Molly Shannon and Jimmy Fallon. The guy only knows three things: Carol (the obnoxious, unfunny fat chick); Aaron Neville; and a retarded/child/fat guy character with a baby voice. And none of those characters are funny. Horatio is a one-trick pony with eight years worth of money and fame, and will undeservingly cash in at the movies in the minor roles that he's known well for. He will take a stab at a leading role, and likely get a decent paycheck for it, only to have the film sink faster than the Titanic.

I know, topical humor is my forte.

Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:37 am
Teenage Dream

I wonder how long this will actually last until it is canceled.

Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:31 pm
Devil's Advocate

Holy god thank the lord. No... more... Horatio... :cheer:

I'm excited for the new season, I agree that a smaller cast is the better way to go.

Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:36 pm
Forum General

Did the new season start already or is it next Saturday?

I just saw Finesse Mitchel and Dane Cook at the Laugh Factory on Friday night. Cook was hillarious. Finesse was alright and I had already heard a part of his monologue somewhere else.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:05 pm
Draughty

Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:18 pm
Profile WWW

If it wasn't cancelled during the early '80s right around when the original cast left and the new cast flopped, I don't think it's going to be cancelled anytime soon.

Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Considering that, according to TheFutonCritic.com, SNL is the highest-rated late night television program, I don't think it will be canceled anytime soon. I don't even think that when Lorne Michaels leaves, it will end. He left in the 6th season, and it ran for a few seasons. Poorly, but it ran. I could see SNL still being on in ten or fifteen years. It's not like there's much that's necessary for it to run, other than the network.

Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:04 pm
It's a fixture of network television. I'm not sure anything short of the demise of NBC will lead to its cancellation.

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:19 pm

I'm actually really excited for tonight's episode. Not because Dane Cook is the host, but I'm really looking forward to watching how the smaller cast gels together. I'm also anticipating Seth Meyers on Update. I think he'll be pretty good at that.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:53 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Hmm...I don't know what it is, but I'm getting an inkling that Jessica Simpson might be tonight's show as well for a bit...

Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 179 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next