Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 JJ Abrams looks back on the ups and downs of Alias 
No Wire Tampons!

Post JJ Abrams looks back on the ups and downs of Alias
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1183629,00.html

yeah im on an Alias trip again

Abrams and Pinker highlight seasons 1, 2 and 5 as the ones they are most proud of, pointing out that 3 and 4 had a sense of lost connection and delved too deep into the rambaldi mythology.

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:10 am
Profile WWW
invading your spaces

Sounds like he created Lost to get his mythology jollies out.

So it's interesting that Lost Season 3 has focused less on mythology (according to producers) but has a growing unpopularity, even though the last 5 or so episodes have jumped back into mythology and have been better according to most fans.

Hmmm...

Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:18 am
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

I smelled Losts shit by the end of the first season. I knew it was going no where. JJ Abrams starts with concepts but he never comes up with a conclusion.
With shows like this that base so much on having a finality, a conclusion, a climatic end reveal, he should really know better.

Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
invading your spaces

Prove that Lost has gone nowhere or have no end.

Abrams wasn't the only one to start the show, in fact he wasn't as involved as the others.

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

I believe you'll be disappointed with Lost's end irrespective of how good it may be.
Alias' finale wasn't ideal, it was fantastic but only because a team of writers did a lot of last minute thinking. Thinking which they should have never been confronted with, But Abrams only got the stone rolling then he left it, a show which looked like it had a clear endgame in sight was left to a group of relatively new writers to the show who had to come up with new directions and angles, without one man keeping it on the straight and narrow it occasionally veered into weaker directions.

The problem with lost is its entire concept relies in a satisfying climax, the finale has to tick so many boxes and wrap up so many loose ends that I just don't think it's worth the journey because theres no way they can work it to a good conclusion. Alias' problem was it abolished SD-6 too quickly, ie changed the direction of the show too quickly. Losts' problem is it's not doing enough to change the direction of the show.

Anyway i watched the finale of Alias in france...in french on thursday, had to translate for my best friend in the hotel room. It really was a good ending but i think they could have done more with Irina in season five. They should have reintegrated Olin to the cast and killed off a few others to pay for her heh.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:37 am
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

The way Irina died was unsatisfying. In fact, the whole of season five is unsatisfying.

Don't worry, Buffy did this to me too even though I rarely admit it.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:34 am
invading your spaces

Thinking which they should have never been confronted with, But Abrams only got the stone rolling then he left it, a show which looked like it had a clear endgame in sight was left to a group of relatively new writers to the show who had to come up with new directions and angles, without one man keeping it on the straight and narrow it occasionally veered into weaker directions.

Lost has that though. The creative team with Lost is still there aside from Abrams. One could argue that Abrams used his name to start Lost but he never intended to focus too much time on it.

Quote:
The problem with lost is its entire concept relies in a satisfying climax, the finale has to tick so many boxes and wrap up so many loose ends that I just don't think it's worth the journey because theres no way they can work it to a good conclusion.

I fundamentally disagree here.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:24 pm
Profile WWW
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

Interesting to read JJ's thoughts, but I have to disagree with him on a few things. He says he wished he would have toned down the mythology stuff, but I liked that stuff... it largely what drew me to the series to begin with. I think the mistake is when it never goes anywhere - like with what is happening in Lost. I don't think he understands the problem there.

He has a knack for setting up a good premise and introducing some cool mythology with sci-fi elements, but then it seems like in all his series he abandons that - or tries to scale it back. I think he should keep that stuff up, but to have a clear endgame.

Alias pissed me off when they tried to dumb it down for the average viewer. When they tried to push the Rimbaldi stuff to the background, when they got rid of SD6, when they got rid of the cliff hangers, etc... That's when the show started to falter, IMO.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:38 pm

Interesting to read JJ's thoughts, but I have to disagree with him on a few things. He says he wished he would have toned down the mythology stuff, but I liked that stuff... it largely what drew me to the series to begin with. I think the mistake is when it never goes anywhere - like with what is happening in Lost. I don't think he understands the problem there.

He has a knack for setting up a good premise and introducing some cool mythology with sci-fi elements, but then it seems like in all his series he abandons that - or tries to scale it back. I think he should keep that stuff up, but to have a clear endgame.

Alias pissed me off when they tried to dumb it down for the average viewer. When they tried to push the Rimbaldi stuff to the background, when they got rid of SD6, when they got rid of the cliff hangers, etc... That's when the show started to falter, IMO.

Yes, all those stand alone episodes that were exactly the same every week, it was oh look, that episode again, it turned me off to show that I loved. Rimabldi got crazy, I hated the whole sister subplot, but nothing ties the episodes together was actually worse. To this I have not seen past the episode before Sid gets buried alive.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]