Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Heroes vs. Lost - which show is better? 

Heroes or Lost?
Heroes 29%  29%  [ 7 ]
Lost 71%  71%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 24

Heroes vs. Lost - which show is better? 
Where will you be?

Post Heroes vs. Lost - which show is better?
So these are the only TV shows I watch on a regular basis anymore. And as much as I enjoy Heroes at times, in some ways I really can't see how someone would think it's a significantly better show than Lost assuming they don't just tune in and out of both of them. Some would argue that Heroes moves at a much faster pace. I wouldn't disagree that this can have it's upsides - the first six episodes this season would've surely been two or three at most. Both shows are similar in their three or four episode story arc, but Lost just strikes me as so much more layered and carefully constructed. Sure some episodes are build up, and there were a few duds awhile back, but at least it's been about as consistent with the story and characters as one could expect a fantastical mystery show like Lost. But for a show as entertaining as Heroes can be at times, it just strikes me as sloppy more often than not. Be it the secret base that's about as tough to escape from as a three-legged dog or the plot convenient character motivations, Heroes is about getting the show to the end destination, not about enjoying the ride. There's been some exceptions (Company Man proved that the show would work better if it didn't focus on eight storylines each episode), but I don't really see what it has going for it that Lost doesn't. More action? Maybe, but it's ranged from briefly cool to downright awful. How about Monday's episode, where Peter and Hiro - having been freedom fighters for years - dispense of a bunch of security guards in the most pedestrian way possible. Not one of the guards gets a shot off, and the whole thing comes off like a high school production of The Matrix. Jin's scuffle with the russian was way more badass, much better shot, and actually seemed to work in the world of the show. So which of the big genre shows do you prefer, and if you think I'm full of shit, why?

Thu May 03, 2007 5:57 am
Sbil

I'd have to give the edge to Lost, though.

Thu May 03, 2007 6:49 am
The Wall

Heroes. I like Lost, but Heroes is more my cup of tea... And also Lost sucked in its second season. I still havent' started watching the third one.

Thu May 03, 2007 6:56 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

but heroes has really picked up for me.

so heroes

Thu May 03, 2007 7:28 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Thu May 03, 2007 10:31 am
Profile YIM
Team Kris

Twin Peaks, Season One and most of Season 2. :tongue:

I choose Lost (for now). Can't really tell since Heroes is only in its first season.

Thu May 03, 2007 10:32 am
Site Owner

Man, I can't even muster up the courage to choose.

Earlier in the season, I think it was Heroes by far. Lost was slumping from Season 2. The whole survivors vs Others dynamic wasn't working, the show was going nowhere ... it was just a mess. The first 6 episodes of season 3, while decent, just didn't do anything for me.

Then Heroes started. It was amazing. Still is.

Then Lost came back. It has been back in the B+ to A+ range ever since.

I think, overall, I still get more excited for Heroes, but just barely. Lost and Heroes are the only two shows I plan my night around, often getting together with friends to watch the show. And certainly never missing an episode.

Both about equal, but Heroes gets the edge as it's never let me down.

Thu May 03, 2007 11:26 am
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

If I was being forced to choose between being able to see one or the other's season finalés, I'd have to go with Heroes. As good as Lost has been lately, I'm more invested in Heroes. That said, Lost has been consistently good since the return from its hiatus. Still, I wouldn't necessarily miss it if it was gone anymore.

Thu May 03, 2007 11:41 am
Angels & Demons

The percieved Lost slump was always more hype than reality.

Lost all the way.

Thu May 03, 2007 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Heroes is consistently better since the problem with Lost is it depends on which characters they are focusing. Usually when they do Jack,Jin,Kate,Claire and Sun flashbacks, it gets real boring

I cant wait for 4400 to come back to USA network in june though

Thu May 03, 2007 12:31 pm
You must have big rats

Overall - too early to tell, I need at least two seasons of Heroes.

Thu May 03, 2007 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Lost doesn't.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 03, 2007 1:13 pm
Forum General

Heroes sucks balls.

:yes:

I stopped watching 4400 last season. It just went too far into the land of crazy.

Thu May 03, 2007 1:42 pm
loyalfromlondon

Heroes reveals more, but Lost has much better writing and much better acting. Heroes is trying too hard to be better than Lost, while Lost is taking its time and its making the show that much better.

Lost by a mile.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu May 03, 2007 1:49 pm
Devil's Advocate

Drive in all of its 4 episodes was started better than both. :(

Thu May 03, 2007 2:36 pm
Squee

It's hard to pick after such an awesome episode of Lost, but I think Heroes will win out in the end, as it takes Lost FOREVER to get anywhere, which ends up annoying me a lot. Heroes, on the otherhand, I have *heard* is going to be kind of like Buffy/Angel where the main plotline of the season is resolved at the end, which is less annoying.

:glare:

Thu May 03, 2007 2:39 pm
Stanley Cup

Lost. The second part of the season has been amazing.

Thu May 03, 2007 3:04 pm
Superman: The Movie

Heroes, but only because I've never watched a single episode of Lost.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu May 03, 2007 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
invading your spaces

Heroes reveals more, but Lost has much better writing and much better acting. Heroes is trying too hard to be better than Lost, while Lost is taking its time and its making the show that much better.

Lost by a mile.

See... I don't understand this.

Lost and Heroes have INCREDIBLY different structures. If they were dramas without all of the sci-fi/fantasy stuff, then they would be considered completely different. The only thing they really have in common is that if you miss an episode, you are screwed.

Lost has a central premise, a mystery, that the show is working towards. It's more akin to the X-files, in that the central mystery is the driving force behind all that happens. Heroes has that to an extent, but is far, far, far, far more potentially open ended. It's "center" such as the "save the cheerleader" plotline is not vital to the survival of the show unlike (for example) the explaination of the monster on Lost.

Maybe I'm not articulating this correctly... someone help me.

Anyway. Aside from 3 characters, I don't like Heroes, so I won't vote.

Thu May 03, 2007 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Sun May 06, 2007 6:51 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I have over 6 pr 7 episodes of Heroes to catch up on and I'm saving it for a marathon after the season ends so I can't really judge.

So, objectively I don't know yet. I think Heroes Season 1 might actually rival Lost's first season but in the long run, Lost will definitely become the better show because Heroes, from what we know, was structured around this one-season-like plot while Lost, from the beginning had the endgame in mind and left alot of room to fill in the missing pieces.

Heroes might get tired after a while but Lost, from this point will just get better because we've waited out a couple years and now we're gonna start getting all the payoffs.

On a bias scale, Lost is without a doubt the better show. I know I've only seen like 13 or so episode of Heroes so far but honestly, there is almost no character investment for me. I feel like it's pure entertainment while Lost is just something else... almost up to Alias status for me but it will be hard to actually pass that point.

Sun May 06, 2007 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]