Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Online Episodes 
Indiana Jones IV

Post Online Episodes
are ratings going down because of networks like ABC place their shows online the day after they air?
does this have any effect?

thoughts...
opinons...

1. The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
2. The Royal Tenenbaums
3. No Country for Old Men
4. Rushmore
5. Being John Malkovich

Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I would assume so. Making it easy to access episodes so soon afterwards = negative effect on ratings. I'm not saying it's a big issue, but it should be a factor into decreasing ratings. It's horrible that not one show is doing over 24 million viewers.

Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:52 pm
Indiana Jones IV

yeah, IMO in takes the demand factor of watching the show the night of...

most shows that used to have the MUST see factor for me: Lost, Grey's...
have lost their discussion factor. People are still watching but they aren't talking about it the NEXT day or at all mostly so you can get away with sneaking the episode online when you have the time

1. The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
2. The Royal Tenenbaums
3. No Country for Old Men
4. Rushmore
5. Being John Malkovich

Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I think it is taking a toll, but a small one.

Then again, coupled with iTunes, TiVo and what not, I think it's a bigger portion.

You'd think it wouldn't be affecting Grey that much, but I'm sure it is to an extent.

The first 2 episodes of Betty, I cought on abc.com

There are so many other things to consider when looking at Lost's ratings dips but again, I think this would only make up a very small fraction of its viewing loss the night of the original airing.

I wonder if abc can release like how many hits they have on specific episodes watched. That would be quite interesting.
I honestly don't know why abc did this with already iTunes available more and more tv shows. Then again, I'm sure business and advertising for their website is ultra-high right now.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:58 pm
New Server, Same X

DVDs hurt certain shows for me. I occasionally watch Family Guy and American Dad, as well as House, but if I miss a few episodes, I don't care because I know the DVD experience of watching all the episodes in a row over the course of a few days will be fun. I don't do that for all shows, but it's definitely what I do for the aforementioned FOX series.

Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:15 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I'm sure it is. Downloading too though is hurting a lot. I mean, I missed Lost on Wed., downloaded a HD-quality version of the episdoe the morning after and watched. Did the same with The Office.

I think eventually, networks are going to have to somehow put advertising IN their programs because people are still watching TV shows these days(probably more so than ever), but they just aren't watching them when they first appear.

They will eventually catch on and squeeze in a few commercials for advertisement on the on demand stream and download possibly every 10 minutes

Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:19 pm
Draughty

I've wondered. There are some shows doing much better on itunes downloads list than they are in ratings.

Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
I've used iTunes twice now for Lost. I'm sure I'm one of many.

Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:57 pm
All Star Poster

As a Canadian, I'm barred from watching the online shows :( Does anyone know how I can bypass this?

Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
As a Canadian, I'm barred from watching the online shows :( Does anyone know how I can bypass this?

Apply for US citizenship.

Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:06 pm
New Server, Same X

Stick with your favorite CTV shows on CTV.ca? Complete seasons of "Whistler", "Degrassi" and "Corner Gas", all in one spot! WOW! Thanks CTV.ca!! You're the coolest, CTV.ca. You helped me kick that nasty smoking habit, and because of my easy access to all my favorite CTV shows, I'm totally the coolest kid in town.

Thanks CTV.ca!! YEAH! :shout:

Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:11 pm
Cream of the Crop

Well, CBS puts in a commercial between each segment of their shows...

Joy

Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I'm sure it does, but at the same time, it's also beneficial to viewers. There are soo many shows on at the same time that I just don't have time to watch them all when they air. Putting the show on a website saves me the trouble of downloading it, plus, I'm sure they log IPs and how many people view the show online and that probably counts for something.

Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:27 pm
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

i don't think so. Nielsen has strict rules for the homes they monitor so I am sure they are accounting for new techncoligy accordingly.

Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]