Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:07 pm



Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Dr. Lecter's TV Shows Summer Catch-Up - Update #15 
Author Message
Forum General
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:45 pm
Posts: 6447
Post 
I haven't seen any Black Adder with Hugh Laurie in it, but Jeeves and Wooster is great.


Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:46 pm
Profile
life begins now
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:09 pm
Posts: 6480
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Post 
This summer I hope to catch up on the following:

The Sopranos (I have season 4 to finish, then on to 5)
Weeds
24
Entourage
The West Wing (I've seen the 1st and 2nd seasons)
Huff
Grey's Anatomy (I saw season 1, but have not watched season 2)

Any others? The good thing is that my local video store rents entire seasons for about 2 bucks, so I don't have to waste my online rentals on them and they are cheap.


Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:37 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92093
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post 
Update #2


Five episodes into The Shield's first season now. Not sure what to say, but I certainly am growing to like it. Just not sure how to feel about the characters. Each and every one seem pretty despicable. I suppose that is exactly what they intended. The pilot ended with a bang (literally), that's for sure. I find myself hating Chiklis' Mackey, yet feeling pity for him at other moments. I like this ambiguity. No clear black/white lines drawn here, at all. It's a bit like Training Day and such, only stretched into a series. I am not completely sold, but intrigued enough to keep watching. The last episode I saw (the fifth) was probably the best one thus far (where some of the drugs went missing when Shane's car was stolen). Good suspense build-up and a great pay-off. There are some really good characters on the show (Aceveda, Dutch, Mackey). I hope the rest of Mackey's team will get some development soon.

Anyone else watching the series?

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92093
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post 
Update #3


I finished the first season of The Shield. This is an excellent show and if it keeps up, I see it right on its way to become one of my all-time favorite series. The best piece of television I have seen since the first season of Lost. Just love the characters and their development. My faves are Dutch and Mackey. It's got the suspense, the character development, the twists, the good storylines...just everything. All characters have faults, big faults mostly which serves the purpose of realism on the show. Seriously, it's great.


I'll probably start the second season in a week. For now, I'll concentrate on Veronica Mars and House.

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:14 pm
Posts: 8760
Location: Great Living Standards
Post 
Archie Gates wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwbB6B0cQs4

For those who hadn't run into Hugh Laurie before House. It helps one appreciate how much he is acting in his current role.


I miss comedy Laurie...

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZkYwItNWsQg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qUxWdIQVT_c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed>


Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:57 pm
Profile
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92093
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post 
Seen the sixth episode of House's first season yesterday. Excellent stuff. While formulaic as usual, it had a touching story and a couple of REALLY funny moments.

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:37 am
Profile WWW
Squee

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:01 pm
Posts: 13270
Location: Yuppieville
Post 
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Update #2


Five episodes into The Shield's first season now. Not sure what to say, but I certainly am growing to like it. Just not sure how to feel about the characters. Each and every one seem pretty despicable. I suppose that is exactly what they intended. The pilot ended with a bang (literally), that's for sure. I find myself hating Chiklis' Mackey, yet feeling pity for him at other moments. I like this ambiguity. No clear black/white lines drawn here, at all. It's a bit like Training Day and such, only stretched into a series. I am not completely sold, but intrigued enough to keep watching. The last episode I saw (the fifth) was probably the best one thus far (where some of the drugs went missing when Shane's car was stolen). Good suspense build-up and a great pay-off. There are some really good characters on the show (Aceveda, Dutch, Mackey). I hope the rest of Mackey's team will get some development soon.

Anyone else watching the series?


After seeing almost the first 2 seasons on Spike TV (which I may have to stop now, because they're being fucking morons and only showing ever *other* episode a week it appears... How can they just skip episodes like that?) you really start to think that shooting the snitch doesn't really make much sense.

Anyway, yes, it is a very good show.

_________________
Setting most people on fire is wrong.
Proud Founder of the "Community of Squee."

:glare:


Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:47 am
Profile
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92093
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post 
:D

I am starting Season 2 tomorrow.

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:08 am
Profile WWW
Squee

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:01 pm
Posts: 13270
Location: Yuppieville
Post 
Ok then! Spike TV execs are officially a bunch of retarded monkeys!

Hey, I got an idea, how about we buy a bunch of seasons of The Shield, and then start showing every *other* episode so people have no idea what's going on next week!!

_________________
Setting most people on fire is wrong.
Proud Founder of the "Community of Squee."

:glare:


Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:04 pm
Profile
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92093
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post 
Squee wrote:
Ok then! Spike TV execs are officially a bunch of retarded monkeys!

Hey, I got an idea, how about we buy a bunch of seasons of The Shield, and then start showing every *other* episode so people have no idea what's going on next week!!


Seriously, though...what is the sense in doing that?


I started Season 2 yesterday, by the way :D

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:24 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:01 pm
Posts: 13270
Location: Yuppieville
Post 
It's a good season! I have yet to finish it, though, and looks like I'll have to do so using Netflix.

_________________
Setting most people on fire is wrong.
Proud Founder of the "Community of Squee."

:glare:


Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:27 pm
Profile
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92093
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post 
Update #4


Started the second season of The Shield, three episodes into it. God, this season seems to be even better than the first. The second episode of it (Dead Soldiers) is the single best episode of any series I have seen in over a year and one of the very best I have ever seen. Excellent, just excellent. Starting the 4th episode right now.

By the way it looks, I'll finish all five seasons of The Shield before the summer's over. It's addicting. The characters are really great and well fleshed-out. Great storylines too.

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:02 am
Profile WWW
Team Kris
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:02 pm
Posts: 27584
Location: The Damage Control Table
Post 
Glad you're liking the Shield. I wonder what you'll think of The Glenn Close season.

_________________
A hot man once wrote:
Urgh, I have to throw out half my underwear because it's too tight.


Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:25 am
Profile
Squee

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:01 pm
Posts: 13270
Location: Yuppieville
Post 
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Update #4


Started the second season of The Shield, three episodes into it. God, this season seems to be even better than the first. The second episode of it (Dead Soldiers) is the single best episode of any series I have seen in over a year and one of the very best I have ever seen. Excellent, just excellent. Starting the 4th episode right now.

By the way it looks, I'll finish all five seasons of The Shield before the summer's over. It's addicting. The characters are really great and well fleshed-out. Great storylines too.


No you wont. Season 5 comes out in January!!!!! Or is that July?

_________________
Setting most people on fire is wrong.
Proud Founder of the "Community of Squee."

:glare:


Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:57 am
Profile
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92093
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post 
Squee wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Update #4


Started the second season of The Shield, three episodes into it. God, this season seems to be even better than the first. The second episode of it (Dead Soldiers) is the single best episode of any series I have seen in over a year and one of the very best I have ever seen. Excellent, just excellent. Starting the 4th episode right now.

By the way it looks, I'll finish all five seasons of The Shield before the summer's over. It's addicting. The characters are really great and well fleshed-out. Great storylines too.


No you wont. Season 5 comes out in January!!!!! Or is that July?


Huh?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286486/episodes#season-5

Apparently all five ran already...

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:12 am
Profile WWW
Squee

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:01 pm
Posts: 13270
Location: Yuppieville
Post 
Oh... I knew it was on the TV. I was talking about the DVD release. How do you see these episodes of the shield?

_________________
Setting most people on fire is wrong.
Proud Founder of the "Community of Squee."

:glare:


Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:41 pm
Profile
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92093
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post 
Squee wrote:
Oh... I knew it was on the TV. I was talking about the DVD release. How do you see these episodes of the shield?


Heh....well...not on DVD.

I live in Germany and none of them seasons ran on TV here and only the first season's out on DVD, so I didn't have much of a choice...

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92093
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post 
Update #5


Just finished the second season of The Shield. It was excellent! Unlike many series, it could hold up after a great start and the second season was only very slighty worse than the first. It actually started off better, but once Armadillo was gone (loved the storyline with him!), the series kind of went a bit downwards before redeeming itself at the end again. The finale was breathtaking. The song playing during the last minutes of the final episode was great and I loved the way they cut things together. Great characters, great acting, great series!

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:40 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92093
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post 
Update #6

Well, I'm up to episode #9 with House, M.D. and it's pretty much like I said before. I love Laurie's performance, but the plotlines have been so-so. Uusally, the sicknesses that appear are way too far-fetched and ultimately all episodes are pretty formulaic. It's an okay watch, but if the season does not improve at the end, I am not sure I'll watch the second one.

Started the third season of The Shield and up to the 6th episode there already. It started off weaker than the last two, but soon peaked with a trio of excellent episodes. It is a serious contender on becoming one of my three all-time favorite series if it keeps up. I just love the way the characters are set up and how you can hate a character one minute and then root for him the next Excellent job!

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:09 pm
Posts: 6480
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Post 
So The Shield should be my next TV show? Or maybe 24? I can't decide between the two.


Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:02 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92093
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post 
Please give The Shield a try!

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:17 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:09 pm
Posts: 6480
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Post 
I might watch them together, and then go on to Deadwood.


Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:31 pm
Profile YIM
We had our time together
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:36 am
Posts: 13203
Location: Vienna
Post 
Chris wrote:
So The Shield should be my next TV show? Or maybe 24? I can't decide between the two.


24


Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:49 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92093
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post 
Riggs27 wrote:
Chris wrote:
So The Shield should be my next TV show? Or maybe 24? I can't decide between the two.


24


:nonono:

I have seen the first season of "24". It's great entertainment and all, but The Shield goes even beyond that and has shown a consistency in quality over three seasons that I have rarely seen before.

I'm up to the 8th episode of the third season now and it is still almost as good as the first season.

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:56 am
Profile WWW
Draughty

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:23 am
Posts: 13347
Post 
I haven't watched The Shield because Chicklis is just so repulsive and with like 9 cop shows on the air now, I'm cop showed out.

House is too repetitive at times, I agree, however it works well as a dramedy. Half the fun for me when I watch it is just waiting for what is going to come out of House's mouth next, he can be pretty funny. But yeah I wish they'd change a few things about it.

As to 24, I couldn't get into it for years, just bored me when I watched it. But this last season was not bad, if you watch any of it I'd just go with this last season. I was able to follow it fine without having seen most of the previous stuff.


Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.