Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105  Next
 The 'Lost' Thread (Season 2) 

In addition to the two female roles, the show is also adding a new hunk. Descriptions are: Female, 30s, with leadership qualities. Female, early 20s, very attractive. Male, Latino, early 20s, handsome, mysterious quality. My guess? These are some of the "background" survivors that Carlton Cuse told me would emerge next season. Source: The Ausiello Report

Next season will be about the Others, as led by the oblique Henry Gale (played by Michael Emerson, who will join the regular cast). Mr. Cuse listed what viewers will learn about the Others by this time next year: "Who are these people? How many of them are there? What is their history? What are they trying to accomplish?" Source: New York Times

Producers of ABC's hit series Lost [...] told SCI FI Wire that it sets up the upcoming third season, which will focus more on romance—and on the mysterious Others. "The Others are an important part of season three, and there's a lot of mysteries and a lot of questions about the Others that the audience is going to be curious about going into season three," said executive producer Carlton Cuse in an interview. "And those are the things we're going to explore." Cuse added: "There will definitely be some new characters on the show next year. ... Obviously, Michael Emerson, who plays Henry Gale, he's someone who's going to be very prominent in the show next year." Fans were also introduced to a new character who promises to figure in next season's storylines: Penelope Widmore, played by Sonya Walger. [...] "I'm excited about love in season three," said executive producer Bryan Burk, adding: "Don't forget now the people have been on the island for 60-plus days. They're now obviously more familiar with each other. ... The concept of love is there, and... it weaves its way through all of our characters. It's going to be much more prevalent in season three." Source: Sci Fi Wire

Sat May 27, 2006 9:59 am
---------

If anyone of them die...I will cry in sadness and then storm the lost writers houses and tell them to bring them back. Im pretty sure they are not dead. But the season finale was amazing, wish the cliffhanger was not as good as it could have been. I was looking on the lost forums and found this. Take a look...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/ ... other1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/ ... kother.jpg

That was the guy in the snow station at the end...Does he look like anyone we know?

I was skipping through that part because I thought that snow thing was a commercial, and I saw a glance of that shot. I was convinced it was Jack until I rewinded.

Sat May 27, 2006 12:37 pm
New Server, Same X

trixster wrote:
Mr. X wrote:
Loyal will hate the season finale.

Bold predictions are my forté.

bABA will also hate it.

You're not the only one.

X, we're geniuses! :biggrin:

:biggrin:

Sat May 27, 2006 12:47 pm
Draughty

Audio interview with producers that discusses the finale and season 3.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/podcasts/108849.html

Sat May 27, 2006 1:10 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Audio interview with producers that discusses the finale and season 3.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/podcasts/108849.html

Their comment about the monster is more than intriguing...

Sat May 27, 2006 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

THe monster comment makes me mad..I wish I could go back and look for the monster!! Also, this pretty much says that Desmond is alive. Also, im glad we kind of have an idea of what the main things the will be talking about next year....Anyone have an idea when the next season premiere will be, or when we will first be seeing previews of Season 3.

Sat May 27, 2006 2:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW
New Server, Same X

I don't know why I actually thought Desmond (or Locke and Eko) were dead, considering the Penny Whidmore person is looking for him. That would sorta make the plotline be pointless if he was dead, and I assume if he didn't die, no one did.

Sat May 27, 2006 4:06 pm
Draughty

I don't know why I actually thought Desmond (or Locke and Eko) were dead, considering the Penny Whidmore person is looking for him. That would sorta make the plotline be pointless if he was dead, and I assume if he didn't die, no one did.

Like I said in an above post, some of us thought he died IMO because he acted before he turned the key like a man who expected to die. But yeah it would kill a major plotline so he probably didn't.

Sat May 27, 2006 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

THe monster comment makes me mad..I wish I could go back and look for the monster!!

The monster is composed of billions of nano-bots (or nanites, as some call them). In light of the newest revelations, it's likely that they have some sort of electric, magnetic, or electromagnetic power source. Some of them entered Locke's body and fixed his spine, thereby restoring the use of his legs (the nanites are consequently capable of re-breaking Locke's spine as well, which is why he was suddenly unable to walk in the middle of season 1.). They similarly helped repress Rose's cancer. Perhaps they are even responsible for allowing over 40 people to survive a plane crash with incredibly minor wounds. by They are capable of entering the brain and messing with it, which explains why Locke was "in tune" with the island and why Eko saw some of his memories when he was staring at the "smoke". It's likely that the nanites trigger all of the flasbacks, which explains why the characeters have them all the damn time. If the Others have access to their "security system", they can access the memories of anyone on the island, which explains how they know about everyone. It's likely that someone is controlling the nanites, since they are selective with whom they heal, as evident by various character deaths and the slower restoration of Locke's leg after the lockdown.

If incredibly tiny nanites can enter a human and do delicate repair-work on organic structures, they must be very strong for their size. They could probably also, as a group of billions of little robots, do massive things like uproot trees or tear apart an airplane pilot then immediately disperse. Since each individual nanite is so small that it can't be seen by the naked eye, it would appear as if there was nothing there and that the "monster" had disappeared.

In conclusion, parts of the "monster" are currently residing in Locke's leg, Rose's cancerous areas, and in the vicinity of anyone having a flashback. This nanite theory has been thought up independently by multiple Lost fans, and encompasses a lot of aspects of the show, so it seems likely that this theory will soon become fact.

"How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Got a, got a compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Working on, working on that for quite some time?"

Battle of the 2005 movies - Vote Now!

Sat May 27, 2006 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Have we seen the "monster" more than the one time with Eko this year?

Sat May 27, 2006 5:17 pm
Cream of the Crop

Locke mentioned it in the season premiere, and Charlie mentioned it an episode before the Eko one, but I don't believe it was shown in either.

There was a rumored plotline involving Charlie being the only person who even remembered that a monster existed, but I guess it never came to fruition.

"How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Got a, got a compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Working on, working on that for quite some time?"

Sat May 27, 2006 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

I'm not sure that the thing Eko saw was what they are referring to when they say the monster, because they seemed to think their remark was very cryptic and if the smoke thing is the monster, that's not cryptic at all.

Sat May 27, 2006 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I'm not sure that the thing Eko saw was what they are referring to when they say the monster, because they seemed to think their remark was very cryptic and if the smoke thing is the monster, that's not cryptic at all.

As I said in the earlier post (which was pretty long and winded so I don't blame you for not reading it),the smoke is composed of lots of little nanites, which, individually, are invisible to the naked eye. I believe that they are responsible for healing Locke and Rose by entering their bodies and fixing the damage. Consequently, whenever you see Locke or Rose, you're also unknowingly looking at a tiny part of the "monster", which is what I think lindelof was referring to.

Sat May 27, 2006 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Plot is this a thoery, or are you pretty sure its right?

Sat May 27, 2006 7:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Draughty

Archie Gates wrote:

As I said in the earlier post (which was pretty long and winded so I don't blame you for not reading it),the smoke is composed of lots of little nanites, which, individually, are invisible to the naked eye. I believe that they are responsible for healing Locke and Rose by entering their bodies and fixing the damage. Consequently, whenever you see Locke or Rose, you're also unknowingly looking at a tiny part of the "monster", which is what I think lindelof was referring to.

No I read your post but I disagree with it for reasons I said. They showed the smoke/nano particle being this season pretty blatantly so I don't believe that is what they were referring to as the monster. They meant something that wasn't obviously shown and the nano/smoke thing doesn't fit that description.

And yes I get what you are saying about Locke and Rose, I'm not ignoring that part. But if that was a tiny part of hte monster then the bigger smoke/nano thing that Eko saw was even more so, and too blatant to be what they were referring to.

Sorry for redundancy but trying to be as clear as I can so I don't confuse my points.

Sat May 27, 2006 7:50 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Anyone know if we will get any more information about the "numbers"?

Sat May 27, 2006 7:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Draughty

I don't believe anyone has mentioned this yet but doesn't the finale make that episode seem different from before, when Jack was forcing Locke to open the door (to stop Sayid torturing Gale) by being willing to let the countdown go to zero? I don't know about you guys but back then I thought the numbers-execute thing did nothing important and that Locke was whacko for being so into pushing it.

Sat May 27, 2006 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Alright, so I just watched 2.21, and read all the comments in this thread about it.

The episode was pretty weak for me. Useless flashback, and many dumb and illogical moments. If Jack is such a good doctor, wouldn't he be able to realize that the shot on Michael's arm came from like, above? I mean, it's not a hard thing to see. "Hmm, well the bulletholes are from upwards and left. I guess Henry really did shoot you!". It's a common theme among the show this season, all these characters do stupid things for illogical reasons, it's like the writers are writing it like that for no other reason than to further their storylines across. Like, Sawyer hiding the guns in the tent. WTF is that? "Oh yes, I've got all the guns now. I'm just going to ... hide them in my tent. Hardy har har!" Clearly, he did that for absolutely no reason at all, the writers just put it in for the show's sake rather than the character's. Also, Locke has basically turned into the world's biggest tool, after being incredibly wise and in control last year. He's gone from those "The Island brought us here" stories, to saying "What? I don't get it", "Are you crazy? No!" and "I can't take this anymore! My life is useless!", as much as he can. The Locke of Season 1 would not say his life and the hatch were useless, that speech was directly contradictory from what he was back then, it's completley the opposite. Wasn't this the same guy who in Season 1 had many speeches about how they were all there because of fate, and everything that is happening is for a reason? I mean, it's COMPLETLEY THE OPPOSITE. You can't get more bipolar. His actions, again he's become stupid. Why he would put the map in the tube, was very much beyond me. Eko, and his explanation speech, wasn't much better. "We're going to push the button, because we are supposed to believe that we are meant to!". Rigghttttt. Speaking of Eko, that flashback truly was quite useless. It didn't even tell us whether she died or not, it was just all a plot device to tell Eko his brother was talking to him, which is a waste of an episode flashback in my books.

Killing Libby was pretty dumb, and I think it was because of the DUIs. What was the point of bringing her in and starting the peaks of these storylines, if she's just going to die? I know the writers have said they'll integrate her storyline through the flashbacks, but couldn't they have just done that the entire time? It would've been cool to have a character appear through them all, but not on the island. It would've placed her worth higher, I think. Now she's just someone who joined the Lostaways camp, did nothing, and died meaninglessly. At least if she was a godly all flashback character, she wouldn't have to sink to that sleazy level. I think that's been one of the reuccuring problems of this season, they bring in characters and storylines for episodes at a time that mean nothing, it spreads apart the focus too much and wades the interest. And not only that, but it doesn't alternate through them fast enough. They have all these things happening at once, but it isn't progressing them in an effective manner. They go to one storyline, then let it sit away for episodes at a time while it goes to another one, the two writers don't have it in them to weave it all the way it was done in Season 1. Like, Charlie and Claire's relationship. It gets brought up for a random episode, then disappears for 5-6 more. How many episodes has that appeared in this season like 2 or 3? It hasn't come up since Maternity Leave, I don't believe. They set up that she's mad at him for lying, they quarrel for that episode, then it completley disappears! Jin and Sun, the same thing. They have done jack all this season, they've pretty much only appeared in their episodes. The pregnancy thing was introduced, then dropped from the focus completley. At least a couple times an episode, if they just cut to these people talking, just a couple words, it would move things along so nicely. That's what a montage can do, at least show as shots, instead of leaving the actors out of work for an entire episode. At this point, a lot of them are missing in action completley. Sayid is fricken nowhere to be found, Rose and Bernard haven't been there since S.O.S., Claire hasn't been in any episodes lately, and so on. The writers are just too sloppy at this point, they're letting the show lose it's focus. It's like they're holding a wheel of rope in their hands, and instead of gripping it, they're letting it droop lazily. Lazy is the correct word for this season I think, they're not pulling things tight enough to hold up the standards of the first season.

More coming later, after I watch 2.22 and 2.23 I guess. I'm too tired for this right now.

Sun May 28, 2006 5:46 am
invading your spaces

Killing Libby was pretty dumb, and I think it was because of the DUIs.

Killing Libby was a decision that was more than likely made at the beginning of the season. The producers say they don't try to introduce things when they don't know where they are going. Michael's disappearance, Desmond showing up in the boat again, and Watros' continued involvment on the show after her death all points to the likelyhood that she was going to go out. I don't think the DUI was that big of a deal. Libby's impact on the second half of this season is pretty big in my opinion, it looks planned and I don't think the Michael storyline was altered significantly to account for a DUI mishap.

I don't think it was the DUI incident necessarily that pushed M.R. off the show as far as the show making moral favorites. It's more likely the jail time that she is now serving and the rumored imcompatibility with the rest of the actors that led to this. Then the producers have said themselves that M.R. only wanted to be in there a year.

I think if the DUI themselves were so big of a deal, you would have had Watros and Rodriguez kicked off the show months ago. It's not like the DUI derails any Hollywood careers (Watros' pilot didn't get picked up though). They wouldn't wait until the last few episodes of the season in May, especially when Lost has established that it can and will off characters at *any* time, that Watros and Rodriguez got some pretty significant air-time after the DUIs and that the second half of the season didn't start filming til January 2006.

If you wanted to really get rid of them because DUI = THEY ARE BAD PEOPLE?!?! then you would have done it in February. Getting rid of M.R. because she's going to be unavailable due to incarceration? That's another story.

Sun May 28, 2006 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

In the case of Michelle, there seemed to be a split in opinion over what she was like as an actor and what she was like as a character," concedes Cuse. But "we feel, Michelle fulfilled the role we wrote for her." Ana Lucia's death, he adds, was always part of the plan, and in fact, the Blue Crush star requested a one year tour of duty. But her rough edges did scuttle plans for a romance with Jack, and contributed to the decision to make the May 10 episode a double homicide. Watros, however wasn't initially marked for death: "We worried [Ana Lucia's] death might not have the [same] emotional resonanceas if we had killed a sympathetic character. By adding Libby to the death toll, it would really intensify the audience's feeling toward Michael going into the final episodes," explains Cuse, who denies that Rodriguez and Watros were targeted because of their much-publicized arrests for drunk driving.

-Entertainment Weekly 05/19/06 Jeff Jensen

Sun May 28, 2006 11:26 pm
Profile WWW

Sun May 28, 2006 11:29 pm
Veteran

I just finished How the Scot's Invented the Modern World and David Hume is a pivotal influence with John Locke playing a minor role. Never made the connection with Rousseau and Locke until they mentioned Desmond's full name in that they are all 17-18th Century European philosophers. Although, I knew Locke was alluding to the English philosopher. IMO, the Lostpedia has it wrong in terms of characterizing one of Hume's "main philosophies was that things are not what they seem". I may be wrong but I would paraphrase the philosophy as "we see things as we need them to be (not necessarily as they actually are) to survive".

Sun May 28, 2006 11:39 pm
Profile WWW
I just finished How the Scot's Invented the Modern World and David Hume is a pivotal influence with John Locke playing a minor role. Never made the connection with Rousseau and Locke until they mentioned Desmond's full name in that they are all 17-18th Century European philosophers. Although, I knew Locke was alluding to the English philosopher. IMO, the Lostpedia has it wrong in terms of characterizing one of Hume's "main philosophies was that things are not what they seem". I may be wrong but I would paraphrase the philosophy as "we see things as we need them to be (not necessarily as they actually are) to survive".
There were a lot of Lockean references with Locke (the character) earlier on in the show. For instance, at one point he said "who are we to tell other people what they should do?" (that was when Michael went off looking for Walt). Of course, right after that Locke went and took heroin from Charlie. And lately he just seems sort of (pardon the pun) lost.

Sun May 28, 2006 11:50 pm
Draughty

Not to spoil things but I think a lot of little references like that in the show are just put in there to spur discussion without as much thought or intention behind it as people wish there was. If the dog had been named Van Goph instead of Vincent we'd all be wondering if it meant something that he was outside on a starry night.

Mon May 29, 2006 12:05 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Yeah, I agree Archie. I think the writers just put stuff in there to spur discussion like you said. I read some things on lost forums, and they get the crazisest theories from little things, like the 4 tour statue is a old mythology story and then somehow it ties to Atlantis and that this island is Atlantis. I mean some people may think that this is right, but I for one...dont.

Mon May 29, 2006 1:14 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105  Next