Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Fiscal Cliff 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: Fiscal Cliff
Stop pretending to be a Libertarian.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:44 am
Forum General

They are going over the fiscal cliff because the fiscal cliff likley is the only way the US can get out of serious debt and the only politicans can give tough medicine without facing a political revolt.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Well there is a possibility of a small deal here. And even if they go over they will probably make a deal for the taxes, unemployment benefits, and the to offset the sequester. At least I hope they do or else I could be out of a job this year.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:27 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Thank god we got a deal
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/sena ... itics.html

It took some tense hours, and it looked like the whole deal might fall apart today. However, it got done and I am glad. Now we move on to the fights over spending cuts, the sequester, and the Debt ceiling.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:48 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

So the economy probably won't crash this year with this deal. There is still a lot of work to be done. The country cannot continue to go further into debt for much longer. Here lies the major problem. The country spent 3.8 billion in 2012, and it made 2.7 billion in revenue.

A little over 60% of expenditures went to Social Security, Department of Health and Human Services, and Department of defense.

Over 100 billion was also spent in each of Department of Agriculture and Department of Veterans Affairs.

Ironically, Department of Education came in just under 100 billion. Shouldn't that have a higher priority in order to prepare people for the job market? Anyway...

To cut funding from smaller departments won't get the job done. To make any real progress, we need to have savings be made in those top 3 expenditures. Also, our revenue has to go up. Much of that comes from taxes. Revenue WILL go up for the country in 2013 due to increased taxes on those with income over 400K, and the expiring of the payroll tax cut, but I fear not by enough.

As I understand it, in general, Republicans don't want to cut Defense or raise taxes, and Democrats don't want to make big cuts in Soc. Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. So how do we cut spending with any kind of real impact?

How does this problem get solved? Anybody?

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I agree cutting funding from places like the Park Service, FEMA, or some other small govt. agency won't really help. Honestly, they need to cut funding from the Department of Defense, and I would get rid of the Department of Agriculture. They could just merge it with the Department of the Interior, and then cut most of the farm subsidies. And then they to reform Medicare and Medicaid to a lesser degree. I would say any seniors making more 250k shouldn't get Medicare first off. I am sure there are other ways to reform it as well.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
I agree cutting funding from places like the Park Service, FEMA, or some other small govt. agency won't really help. Honestly, they need to cut funding from the Department of Defense, and I would get rid of the Department of Agriculture. They could just merge it with the Department of the Interior, and then cut most of the farm subsidies. And then they to reform Medicare and Medicaid to a lesser degree. I would say any seniors making more 250k shouldn't get Medicare first off. I am sure there are other ways to reform it as well.

Woah, sounding almost conservative there.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:02 am
Profile WWW