Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 How far do you go? 
Extraordinary

Post How far do you go?
I am voting tomorrow, and lucky me, a literally get to walk two streets up and one avenue over. So, a five or so minute walk. I know for a fact I have it easy. Growing up I remember the voting site was held in my elementary school and people had to drive pretty far to get there. And when I was in college I was still registered where my parents lived so had to take the commuter rail into town (20 min.) and then walk from the commuter rail stop to the voting center in a hospital.

How about you guys? How far do you have to go to cast your vote? Also, I've never lived anywhere that held a caucus, so if anyone does, how far do you need to go to get to a center and how long do you have to stay there? Does anyone need to take the day off from work because it takes so long? I luckily don't. I'm going to stop-over on my way to class and the whole process only takes about a ten minute detour because there is never a line in the middle of the day, and its literally on the route I usually walk to class anyways.

Please reminisce about the best and worst voting experiences you ever had, too. :D

Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:46 pm
Forum General

Post Re: How far do you go?
I live directly across from a middle school that has polling set up, but not for my district??? So I have to go to the elementary school 3 blocks away, which has zero parking, but I usually go to on my way to or from some where, so I'm not going to walk it. There's also a temple right across from the elementary school that has polling, but I'm not sure which district that's for. In any case, last week's primary was the first time I had to wait at all (a grand total of 4 minutes), which was just because the old, decrepit volunteers take forever to check you in, and not because all the booths were taken.

But I've yet to vote in a general election from here, so we'll see what it's like in November. (I absentee voted in 2004.)

Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:51 pm
All Star Poster

My polling place is in my neighborhood, about three blocks away. It's never crowded and the people there are always extremely friendly. It's never been so easy for to me vote. :)

Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Having basically lived in cities or at least built up suburbs all my life, I've always been close to a precinct.

Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

I will go out the back door of my apartment, cross the street, and vote for my girl tomorrow.

My best voting story is probably the '92 election. I obviously was to youg to vote. So I pressured my aunt, who didn't want to vote because "the government doesn't do anything" for her, and made her take me into the booth with her. Once inside, I looked for Bill Clinton's name, pressed the button, and pulled the lever casting my first vote ever. It was so empowering.

Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:49 pm
Extraordinary

Well I have to endure 30 mins of traffic to drive to my location to vote then I'll have to drive 30 more mins back from where I came to attend a class. I still don't get why voting just isn't moved to saturday. I can't imagine how many people just don't vote because of distance and time.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:03 pm
I just lost the game

Well, I already detailed in another thread that I can't vote for the primaries. Just the wya the circumstances fell. If I was voting it would have either been through an absentee ballot that I had been planning to pick up last Friday. I was registered to vote where my parents live.

Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:33 am
The Original

When I go to vote its a 10 min walk (note we vote a lot overhere)

Though since a few years you can vote by letter. No big walking anymore :)

Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:24 am
htm

Berkeley's quite dense in terms of population, so voting places are every other block. My assigned spot was perhaps a five minute walk, but only because I live in the Hills....

Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]