Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 28  Next
 Repub nominee watch - Hail to the Mitt 

Post Re: Michele Bachmann will be the GOP nominee - NOT. Rick Per
Just trying to find some common ground.

Yes, Rick Perry and Michelle Bachmann are destined to destroy what small amount of creditability the Republican Party has left. This country is starting to lose having a respectable conservative party, especially if they don't nominate Mitt Romney. Honestly, I'm more concerned about the Republican primary than the actual election.

There is that better?

Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:22 pm
Extraordinary

A long and quite insightful article on the modern Republican Party...

Goodbye to All That: Reflections of a GOP Operative Who Left the Cult

(via Truth-Out.org)

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:36 pm
Extraordinary

The main problem is that a very loud minority has taken over the party and everyone is listening to them instead of calling them crazy and ignoring them like they used to do.

I blame the internet and Fox news -- in the old days, these people weren't given a forum, but with Fox (especially) treating them like they are legitimate and have real issues, the rest of the GOP (and too many democrats) are falling over backwards to try to appease them.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Groucho wrote:
The main problem is that a very loud minority has taken over the party and everyone is listening to them instead of calling them crazy and ignoring them like they used to do.

I blame the internet and Fox news -- in the old days, these people weren't given a forum, but with Fox (especially) treating them like they are legitimate and have real issues, the rest of the GOP (and too many democrats) are falling over backwards to try to appease them.

:sleeping:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:36 pm
Extraordinary

Caius wrote:
Groucho wrote:

Aw, isn't he cute! The way he thinks he makes a point when he only just embarrasses himself! Let's hear it for Caius, everyone! :yu:

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:19 pm
Profile WWW

Groucho wrote:
Caius wrote:
Groucho wrote:

Aw, isn't he cute! The way he thinks he makes a point when he only just embarrasses himself! Let's hear it for Caius, everyone! :yu:

There is no argument to give when you label a group of people crazy and place yourself in the position of arbiter of what is and what is not acceptable in political discourse. Further, what you said is an argument (I use the term loosely, it is more of a talking point) that I have heard from the left about a billion times; it has a certain intolerance to it, but I am sure you are aware of that.

I disagree with much of the platform of the Democrat Party and feel that it has moved far to the left. However, I don't believe that its members are crazy or that they should be shunned. I simply think that they are wrong and when they advocate a policy that I disagree with, I try to point out why I disagree, rather than labeling them crazy or racist.

The sleeping emoticon was used because of the boring cavil spouting from you. There was nothing for me to say because you did not present an argument that could be responded to other than by someone saying, "Yes, but your side is radical too" and I did not wish to play that game.

So if you choose to give your standard response, which you often give to Goldie, that you are not going to respond to stupid arguments, whatever.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:25 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I don't really think there is much of a debate about the fact that a very radical part of the right has taken control over the Republican party. Certainly the counterpart is not true -- in fact, many Democrats are unhappy with Obama for not being liberal enough. Hell, Obama's policies on the environment, health care and spending on the war aren't even as liberal as Nixon's policies on these things.

Are you really going to argue that Michelle Bachmann, Sarah Palin, and Rick Perry are rational beings? Seriously, these people don't even know basic history. They brag about their lack of education and their misunderstanding of science as if that is something to be proud of. And the Republican party leaders can't stand them but are just as afraid of them as Obama apparently is afraid of the Republicans.

No one is standing up to these people like they used to. In the past, there were right wing groups like the John Birch Society, but mainstream Republicans basically ignored them as the extremists that they are. As I said, things have changed because these people now have a venue for their crazy views -- views that are rarely supported by facts at all -- and people like you apparently are either duped by them or have decided they are "useful stooges" who will vote the way you want.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:45 am
Profile WWW

It's all a political game. I'm not on the inside, I merely on the outside trying to look in and make sense of things.

The main thing in politics is getting a job and getting a job for those on your team more likely to vote somewhat more inclined to you. The Republicans have been voted out of all three portions of the government after a president such as Bush who underwent a severe amount of scrutiny, honestly a lot of it coming from the media (although, rather it is party bias or not is another story, one which I highly doubt considering how they've swung recently), either way, if they wanted to get back in office they'd need to pull themselves back together.

And they did, lets give them credit for that. They managed to pull together a strong and vocal voting block in the Tea Party movement that got media coverage like no other and sway public opinion enough back on their side to garner votes for the party. This was primarily done by painting Obama as an extreme leftist (somehow, sorry Cauis, but partly thank racism on that one) and by promoting the most stereotypical Republican policy that is easy to like, lowering taxes. Members of the Republican Party have said it themselves, their primary goal is to get Obama out of office and take back over the government. It has nothing to do with sound policies and everything to do with getting votes. That's how their job functions, around popularity, and get a loud group to support you, like the Tea Party, and you garner votes. The Republican Party might agree with their policies on an idealistic scale, but on a more practical one, they know taxes need to be raised right now, but last time this situation happened, Bush Sr. got kicked out of office. So you hold off for a while, keep your promise until you come into power, then you switch, but it must be done gradually.

First of all, that has. The word a while ago went out that Obama was starting class wars because, well, he did not want to raise taxes on the middle class and instead suggest the wealthy classes (honestly I don't know if that is true, but I've seen in too many right-wing political cartoons. It might not be true, but it is how he was being perceived and in a democracy that matters a lot) and so they, the Republican Party, can say they merely defended the wealthy class or spew out some jargon that supports the wealthy class. This will then allow for the switch to come with more ease, except when they switch, don't be shocked when you see taxes raised on the poor disproportionately more in terms of percentage of their income over the wealthy class, essentially using the Tea Party as voting tools, nothing more, nothing less.

But they will be cheering for it because of how slowly the argument was grown to support taxes. There will be those aware and pissed, feeling betrayed. But then there will be those who continue supporting the Republican Party due to the party system mentality. It's happened with the Democrats who use to be the party of the Catholics, but that bond's finally starting to die off.

I guess that's just a long winded assumption, but it's how I see things. Party's change over time and their primary focus is to collect the most possible votes. Once you know that, figuring out why irrational messages and actions come out of politicians mouths when they're not the party in power.

I'm not a Democrat either because keep in mind, the Democrats did the same thing under Bush Jr.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:00 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
The German equivalent to the Tea Party movement is Neo-Nazism. It is basically ignored as a political position but taken seriously as a threat to democracy. It grows in economically disadvantaged areas and dies in education. Living in a democratic society, you have the right to voice your opinion, but you have no right to find understanding.

When I hear the uneducated and irrational moan, I try to dissolve the issues that prompt them to moan, but I do not take their grouses seriously.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:09 am
Profile WWW

Argos wrote:
The German equivalent to the Tea Party movement is Neo-Nazism. It is basically ignored as a political position but taken seriously as a threat to democracy. It grows in economically disadvantaged areas and dies in education. Living in a democratic society, you have the right to voice your opinion, but you have no right to find understanding.

When I hear the uneducated and irrational moan, I try to dissolve the issues that prompt them to moan, but I do not take their grouses seriously.

Other than the Neo-Nazi comparison, I entirely agree with your point about allowing one to speak rather than taking seriously his position. The tea party and the Neo-Nazi Party do not share one of the central planks of the Nazi platform. I.e., virulent and violent anti-semitism, unless the Neo-Nazi's have attempted to hide that platform. I would guess that the Neo-Nazi's are anti-immigrant/immigration and in that area the two may have some similarities.

Does the German branch of the Neo-Nazis hover around the 5% or so mark in terms of popular support? I think it is fair to assume, and I am probably being conservative, that at least 5% of any national population is crazy.

I also deeply dislike Sarah Palin. Mostly because she has nothing interesting to say and it is clear that she is in it for the money and I think that Michelle Bachmann is too gaffe prone. I actually hope Mitt Romney wins the primary simply because I think he has the best chance to win the general election against President Obama. However, even if Romney wins, he will be painted as an extremist tea-partier that is only for the rich, even though it is mostly the two extremes of the economic scale that vote Democratic.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:57 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I agree that Romney is the GOP's best chance. Of the candidates now running, he'd be the one who, if he won, I wouldn't go "Oh my God, the country is going to self-destruct." He'd be an OK President.

He's also who the insiders want. They KNOW that most of the others are just too crazy, but they won't call them out because of the power of the internet and Fox News.

That's the point I was trying to make -- that these kind of people would never have even been able to get in the door previously.

And if they take over the party and nominate one of these people, they're sure to lose, as assuredly as if the Democrats were to nominate Barney Frank or Bernie Saunders. The votes are in the middle. The extreme right will always vote for the GOP and the extreme left will always vote for the Democrats, so you don't need to appeal to them.

And that's why the GOP will lose in 2012.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Caius wrote:
The tea party and the Neo-Nazi Party do not share one of the central planks of the Nazi platform. I.e., virulent and violent anti-semitism, unless the Neo-Nazi's have attempted to hide that platform. I would guess that the Neo-Nazi's are anti-immigrant/immigration and in that area the two may have some similarities.

I compared them in terms of their socio-political functions. They both collect the same sort of people, they both form minorities, they are both reactionary, they are both disproportionately loud.

Caius wrote:
Does the German branch of the Neo-Nazis hover around the 5% or so mark in terms of popular support? I think it is fair to assume, and I am probably being conservative, that at least 5% of any national population is crazy.

The NPD - the most popular far-right party - received 6% of the votes in a state election just a few days ago. The party is currently in two of the sixteen ~state assemblies (Landtag), both from the former GDR. But people are already alarmed.

Caius wrote:
I actually hope Mitt Romney wins the primary simply because I think he has the best chance to win the general election against President Obama.

Does that mean that whatever Republican candidate has the best chance to win should win? If Michele Bachmann were likely to beat Obama, would you vote for her?

Last edited by Argos on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Of course he would!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:36 pm