Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Watchmen's current running time - Over 3 hours 
Orphan

Post Watchmen's current running time - Over 3 hours
Story

Stupidest quote in a while (via director Zack Snyder):

Quote:
I'm not ready for that yet," Synder says. 'If Dark Knight got two and a half hours, Watchmen should get fifteen minutes more. I'm trying to be reasonable.

Yeah because Watchmen is a worldwide icon and in any way comparable to TDK, the follow-up to a highly successful film. :roll: What a dingbat.

Hey Snyder, maybe everything doesn't have to be in slo-mo. That would cut down the running time quite a bit.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:41 pm
Romosexual!

Post Re: Watchmen's current running time - Over 3 hours
i wouldn't mind a 3 hour Watchmen movie. :thumbsup:

Joe wrote:
Hey Snyder, maybe everything doesn't have to be in slo-mo. That would cut down the running time quite a bit.

:funny: :funny: :funny:

Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:42 pm
Jeez, 3hrs for this?

I love long movies when done well but 300 was repetitive, dull, and just under 2hrs. I know, I know--I've gotten the rundown on how Watchmen is exponentially better than 300, "visionary", "one of a kind", and blah blah but I have little faith in Snyder's abilities to produce anything more than a great trailer at this point.

Odds are I will still see this movie, but I'm really tired of these endless "groundbreaking" or "epic" or whatever else graphic novel movies. Mostly I find them all to be suffocatingly heavy-handed and pretentious.

Yay Watchmen.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:57 pm
Killing With Kindness

my 13m opening wknd prediction seems more guaranteed by the day.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:11 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

I can't be the only one who found the trailer to be so very dull in spite of a lot of flash?

Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:17 pm
Killing With Kindness

Joe wrote:
I can't be the only one who found the trailer to be so very dull in spite of a lot of flash?

Nope, IMHO The Spirit looks better.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

BJ wrote:
my 13m opening wknd prediction seems more guaranteed by the day.

Obviously Not.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:29 pm
He didn't look busy?!

a 3 hour Watchmen movie sounds awesome - even to a non-reader like me - but yeah, this would make like twice as much if it was cut down to 2 hours than if it was over 3, so hopefully they'll be able to at least keep it under 2.5 hours.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Was the criticism against making a Watchmen movie was that the scope was so big that it cant possibly fit into one movie? I think the 3hr running time is fine for fans of the series because anything like less than 2.5 hrs would be met with pitchforks by the fanboys

Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:15 pm
Veteran

Why are you guys so fixated on the slow motion that Snyder used in 300? It's nothing something he used in Dawn of the Dead at all, and that movie was quite good.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
invading your spaces

Snyder has repeatedly said Warner wants a 2:20 cut.

They are taking Black Freighter out of the film and releasing it separately, but at Comic Con, they said they were still filming the transition scenes so that it can be re-inserted into the film for posterity.

Seems like there is going to be a quite substantial director's cut.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

I love how a director can have a moderate hit (Dawn of the Dead) and a massive hit (300) both having a built in fan base and be considered "visonary." Is it just me or are we dealing out titles of greatness just a little to easily.

I mean I loved Memento, BB, Insomnia, TDK but that doesn't make Nolan one of the greatest filmmakers of all time, it means he is on the way to.

I HATE MICHAEL BAY

Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:45 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Optimus_Prime wrote:
I love how a director can have a moderate hit (Dawn of the Dead) and a massive hit (300) both having a built in fan base and be considered "visonary." Is it just me or are we dealing out titles of greatness just a little to easily.

I mean I loved Memento, BB, Insomnia, TDK but that doesn't make Nolan one of the greatest filmmakers of all time, it means he is on the way to.

Prestige is also great. But yeah, Nolan's well on his way. Snyder? Not so much. I have not read Watchmen. I'll have to try to check it out at some point. If the source material being properly adapted means having a long movie, I'm all for it.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Tarentino was already considered a revolutionary director when he had only two movies under his belt so I could care less about criticizing directors like Nolan and Snyder getting the accolades when they already have more than Tarentino during that stage

Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:55 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I have no problem with the running time if its all enjoyable.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:28 pm
Orphan

Royd wrote:
Tarentino was already considered a revolutionary director when he had only two movies under his belt so I could care less about criticizing directors like Nolan and Snyder getting the accolades when they already have more than Tarentino during that stage

Tarantino's second movie won an Oscar and was nominated for many more though.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:31 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Optimus_Prime wrote:

Built in fanbase for 300? Hardly anyone reads comics anymore and I doubt that there were a lot of antiquity geeks out there waiting to rush out and see 300.

Popular stuff like Spider-Man barely sells 100k an issue anymore.

Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:22 am
Profile WWW
invading your spaces

Optimus_Prime wrote:

Since when are you all so sensitive about the WB's marketing department's use of hyperbole?

Of course they are going to sell Snyder as "visionary". Why wouldn't they?

They are trying to sell a product.

Do we actually think Snyder stood up to WB and said "This trailer is missing something... oh yeah, call me 'visionary'!"

Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Optimus_Prime wrote:

You're coming at it the wrong way. It's not about box-office, it's about the quality and freshness of his films themselves. Snyder dared to remake a seminal horror classic and in the process made it his own - defying expectations and creating an arguably better film than the original. With 300 he took a cult graphic novel with very little in the way of substance and plot, added practically no bankable names, and somehow, solely by virtue of style and vision, made an epic and unexpected blockbuster out of it that connected with the masses.

And if you want to go the B.O. route: lots of people loved Memento, Insomnia, BB, The Prestige and TDK - but only one of those really blew expectations out of the water, the rest either performed as expected or under. The one film that did blow expectations out of the water was a high profile sequel to the well-received original featuring one of the most recognisable characters of all time and an actor's performance whose death was one of the biggest news stories of the year.

Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:52 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Optimus_Prime wrote:

Visionary does not mean great. As roo said, they're just trying to sell a product. Its not like they're saying 300 is the greatest film of all-time.

Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]