Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next
 KJ User's Top 100 Lists Vol.2 - MovieGeek 
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: KJ User's Top 100 Lists Vol.2 - Joseba B-Loki
#78, #74, #73 - :thumbsup:

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
The Antichrist

Glad to see The Exterminating Angel in the top 75.

Only a few blockbusters and a big variety of movies, great list so far! :yes:

Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:33 am
Gamaur's sex slave

yoshue wrote:
I think the meh for Exterminating Angel is also cause for Price alarm.

I don't like Exterminating Angel, so what??? Any problem with that??? Uh!! Uh!!! :watsup:

From Luis Buñuel give me Los Olvidados, Ensayo de un Crimen or El, but Exterminating Angel bores me to death.

Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:35 am
Cream of the Crop

hi! i'm going to update my list in a few hours and i guess that it will be finished by monday.

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:56 am
Profile ICQ
Cream of the Crop

#70: A Thousand and One Nights (Italy 1974); Dir. Pier Paolo Pasolini

#69: Once Upon a Time in America (USA 1984); Dir. Sergio Leone

#68: Halloween (USA 1978); Dir. John Carpenter

#67: Love and Death (USA 1975); Dir. Woody Allen

#66: La Dolce Vita (Italy 1959); Dir. Federico Fellini

#65: The Seventh Seal/Wild Strawberries (Sweden 1957); Dir. Ingmar Bergman (i'm cheating here, but i didnt want to split this magnificent one-two punch :P )

#64: The Wild Bunch (USA 1969); Dir. Sam Peckinpah

#63: The Evil Dead 1 + 2 (USA 1981/1987); Dir. Sam Raimi :P

#62: Hero (China 2002); Dir. Zhang Yimou

#61: King Kong (USA 1933); Dir. Cooper/Schoedsack

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:25 pm
Profile ICQ
You must have big rats

Halloween is really overrated, but Evil Dead is great, one of my favorite horror flicks.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is too low on your list!

Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I really need to see Once Upon a Time in America. I have it sitting on a shelf directly across from my computer desk, but I've never got around to watching it. Same with "The West".

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Gamaur's sex slave

Jmart007 wrote:
Same with "The West".
:whaa: Get the biggest widescreen TV you can get and watch it. NOW!!!

Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:02 am
Devil's Advocate

I can forgive Joseba for taking a couple days off, already being at #60 isn't that bad really. Get to it though.

I updated my top 100 in my sig... 16 films that I saw since I posted it made it on, plus a couple I forgot/snubbed last time... It's been a hell of a summer. I can't say my list is any less all over the place and off-center though, I thought it might be coming in with some crap weeded out from the new 16+, but alas, no.

thanks yosh for the site... and others who have used it before

Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:45 am

Site?

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:22 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

the site I used to store my list that I got from reading his list in his sig? :lol:

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:10 pm
loyalfromlondon

Heh, I just copied you, Shack. My affinity with your top 20 is 7.5%, the only ones the same are T2 and Se7en. I've known about that site for a while, those comments on my list are way old.

You got some brutal comments on yours, though. Argos + Guybrush, maybe?

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:14 pm
Kypade

shompy = ymdb?

I wondered what happened to that site. :o

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:18 pm
Devil's Advocate

trixster wrote:
Heh, I just copied you, Shack. My affinity with your top 20 is 7.5%, the only ones the same are T2 and Se7en. I've known about that site for a while, those comments on my list are way old.

Eh I looked over his other comments and he's doing that everywhere... troll pretty much. Deleted. And no it wasn't them, I saw the guy's list, it didn't check out.

Not that it matters of course

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:32 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
trixster wrote:

Who are you?

Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:44 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

guess Loki was overwhelmed by his tasty legs

Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:40 pm

Guess again too busy. Hope you try later again, Joseba. But let others have their tries...

Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Kypade

Post Re: KJ User's Top 100 Lists Vol.2 - kypade
I keep going back and forth on whether or not to post this list. One, because I'm not sure how many are really gonna get much out of it, and two, I know that by the time I'm done there will be changes. So maybe we should just keep bumping people in front of my until I feel better bout it. :O

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:33 pm
Teenage Dream

kypade wrote:
I keep going back and forth on whether or not to post this list. One, because I'm not sure how many are really gonna get much out of it, and two, I know that by the time I'm done there will be changes. So maybe we should just keep bumping people in front of my until I feel better bout it. :O

I want to see it. :)

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:30 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Go ahead and post it Kypade.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:32 am
Kypade

Alright, I'll go ahead and get it out of the way...

Some stats:

Something like 14 different countries are represented, give or take. (I kinda rushed, and some might not be exactly accurate. I counted Kieslowski as France, instead of Poland, for example.) The US is by far the most popular country, though, with, I think, 52 American films (next highest is, I think, 18 from France)

The decades break down like this:

20s - 1
30s - 2
40s - 5
50s - 14
60s - 18
70s - 14
80s - 10
90s - 18
00s - 18

And finally, the list only shares about 33 films with the list I made two yrs ago.

The first ten:

Chronicle of a Summer: Paris, 1960
Directed by Edgar Morin and Jean Rouch, 1961

I'm calling this a wildcard, as my list ended up with only 99 films when I looked at it last night. I didn't want to go through the effort of figuring out exactly which should take the 100th spot, so instead I'm gonna just fill it in with this film. Like many films you'll find on this list, I've only seen this movie one time. Not only that, but I watched it for the first/only time...today. This will be a common theme, and is part of the reason I hesitate to post the list...I'm still finding stuff on a very regular base that I really love, so this list will never be permanent...not for many years anyway.

Anyway, this film is about a documentary about people in Paris, during the summer of 1960. The filmmakers were an anthropologist and a sociologist, and these two fields play a big role in the content of the film. It's about, basically, the study of these people and this society. How they think, what makes them happy. Their likes, and dislikes. It's about the friendships and relationships that are built. And it's just really, truly fascinating. Besides being interesting on a purely informational level, there's also a lot of questions about the nature of reality as it relates to film and acting (the old idea of can anyone really "act natural" when they know they have a camera on them), and to be honest, I left the film not entirely sure the whole movie, both the documentary and the story of the documentary, weren't completely scripted...that is, not sure it wasn't completely fiction. The fact that I don't know whether or not that would make a difference...whether it would be a better or worse film...is really kinda exciting, because I know I can watch it at least a few more times before even thinking about being bored.

The Kid
Directed by Charlie Chaplin, 1921

I kinda have a thing for good films with good children characters, and Jackie Coogan's character is about as strong as six yr olds come on film (though certainly not the strongest...there are at least two or three kid-centric films to come). It's as funny as any Chaplin I've seen, and is at times downright heart breaking. It's hard to watch the pair be ripped apart. Of course, that just makes the ending that much more rewarding. Also, I think the dream sequence might be the most cool ever. Maybe not...but it's really great.

The Man Who Wasn't There
Joel and Ethan Coen, 2001

Some things I love: Joel and Ethan Coen, film noir, dark humor, gimmicks, convolution. I think this film is brilliant...it's just one of the most fun and funny and smart movies I've seen. Unfortunately, I haven't seen if in a long long time, so I'll have to leave it at that.

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Peter Jackson, 2003

Ok, so I like the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I saw all three in theaters and really enjoyed myself with each film. But this is the only one that really made enough of an impact that I considered it here. And to be honest, it's more to do with the experience of watching it than anything; the people and atmosphere in the theater, the holiday season, the culmination of this three year ordeal. To be able to sit in a theater from midnight til three AM and not get bored, to still be so involved and excited at the 180 minute mark - that's something special. I've only watched it maybe once and a half times since, and I realize it's still a great movie, but if I'd seen it for the first time on DVD, it almost surely wouldn't be this high.

Stranger than Paradise

Jim Jarmusch, 1984

This is the first film on the list I'd say is far, far more than the sum of its parts. I don't think it'll be the last. I think it's a blast, this sly, episodic little adventure tale with characters that are just about perfect. I feel with this film an incredible sense of unknown, of unseen, of impending failure, as if everything that is happening is a joke, or in some way not real. But all this confusion and awkward and question adds up to a complete package that's about as cohesive as it is hilarious. And the end is brilliant.

Pleasantville

Gary Ross, 1998

I don't really know what to say here. It's one of those films for me which meet that lame qualification of "you watch it straight through whenever you happen across it on TV." It really is just a wonderful film. Great score, great script, great message. Just kinda like, duh.

Exotica

Atom Egoyan, 1994

Hm. Ok. I've seen this one time, on HBO, from about two or three AM until about four or five. All I can say is it had enough visual style to keep my eyes active and happy, and interesting, intriguing enough content to keep my mind active. I need to revisit it, but I find it hard to believe I'd suddenly hate it, so I'm leaving it here. (If you can beat KJ's search engine, I'm pretty sure I wrote some thoughts directly after viewing it, though I don't know what it would say, honestly).

Whisper of the Heart

Yoshifumi Kondo, 1995

One of the most beautiful films, animated or otherwise, I've ever seen. It's a pretty simple story, about a girl who notices a boys name on the books she checks out from the library. Who he is, and their relationship are just so human and real and enjoyable. It's like all the best aspects of Miyazaki packed into the "real world." A great argument for animation as more than just kids stuff.

Perfect Blue

Satoshi Kon, 1999

If Whisper of the Heart argues for anime as art, or good ol' fashioned humanist drama/romance, Perfect Blue is a pretty convincing animation for adults. Along with nudity, language and violence, this is essentially a psychological thriller/horror that uses animation to accomplish what live action really can't. It's exciting and scary and just rly, rly great.

A Streetcar Named Desire
Elia Kazan, 1951

A Streetcar Named Desire was one of the only plays I truly loved in high school, and this is a fantastic adaptation. The source material is great, obviously, and of course the acting is great.

All About Lily Chou Chou
Shunji Iwai, 2002

The film is beautiful as any I've seen. I found it kinda hard to really understand just what it was about, but, like with, say, Stranger than Paradise, the experience, the whole is far more important than the plot points. It jumps around from person to person, place to place and doesn't really seem very focused...but, the movie is just so engaging and interesting, and stunningly beautiful that it doesn't much matter if you don't exactly follow it. Srsly great.

--------------

All this list does is make me realize I really want to rewatch a lot of films. Also, it's actually much more work than I expected finding and hosting pictures, changing font sizes/formatting and typing this stuff. I'll try to do at least a post or two of ten films every day.

Last edited by kypade on Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:37 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Great varied start Kypade. Only seen 5 of those, I need to brush up.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:46 pm
Squee

I've only seen 2. But I'll say I dont need to brush up on ANYTHING! Except maybe Streetcar.

:glare:

Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:49 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Squee wrote:
I've only seen 2. But I'll say I dont need to brush up on ANYTHING! Except maybe Streetcar.

You need to scrub down!!

Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:55 pm
Begging Naked

Impressive variety-filled list so far. Any list w/Chaplin is always good. :yes:

Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next