Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Comfort Movies 
Extraordinary

Post Comfort Movies
any movie you just pop into the background when you're moody? Where I used to work, this guy there would always play grease. He said if he was down and was running errands at home, etc, he would just pop it in while he worked and it always lifted his spirits a little bit.

He started playing it at the store, and one time when i was very stressed because i was looking for work and moving he noticed and just quetly went over and put the film in. It was kinda sweet, and it helped. I got used to hearing it playing the background and the sort of Grease-lightening dance sequences. i used to hate that film to high heaven, but my animoisty towards it definately wore down, and now I think if I owned it, it would be my little comfort movie too.

Anyone have comfort movies they watch?

Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:50 am
All Star Poster

not really, but usually when im kinda tired after work i have played Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Cool runnings aswell :?

Last edited by Bodrul on Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:52 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Background film for me is The Matrix, that way i dont have to watch the typically boring parts.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

A film I can put in every time im not feeling to grand is Ace Ventura Pet Detective 8) one of the funnyest movies ever 8) and its made me laugh morethan any other film Ive ever seen. Its one of those films that leave you lighthearted and happy 8)

8)

Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

another film is one of my favs of all time Whale Rider 8) made my top 5. Its one of the most watchable dramas I have seen and it gives of a great feeling everytime I watch it 8)

Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Haha. The first Ace Ventura is actually quite fun, and I could totally see how it the color and noise of the film would be a pick-me-up.

Whale Rider is much more somber of a film but the end is definately uplifting. I wouldn't put it as background, because its very quiet and actually requires full viewing, but it is such a good movie. You are right.

Thanks for the warm welcome, how was Xmas and New Years up in Alaska Bryant?

Oh oh oh. Another one I've seen at least a dozen times that always puts me in a great mood and is fast beat with fun music is Black Cat, White Cat. I can never be in a bad mood after seeing that film.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:08 pm
Killing With Kindness

Haha. The first Ace Ventura is actually quite fun, and I could totally see how it the color and noise of the film would be a pick-me-up.

Whale Rider is much more somber of a film but the end is definately uplifting. I wouldn't put it as background, because its very quiet and actually requires full viewing, but it is such a good movie. You are right.

Thanks for the warm welcome, how was Xmas and New Years up in Alaska Bryant?

Oh oh oh. Another one I've seen at least a dozen times that always puts me in a great mood and is fast beat with fun music is Black Cat, White Cat. I can never be in a bad mood after seeing that film.

I stayed up for most of the break, got around 3-4 hours a day but it was worth it I got a lot of things I needed to do done. Xmas was fun we had a large dinner then we gavve out gift cards to each other. We dont like to do the present part of christmas Its fun but usually we only keep tow or three of all the things we get so my family stopped the present part of christmas two years ago. Its acualy quite fun 8) As for new years I attempted to pull an all nighter and failed on new years ever :lol: got avout two hours of sleep. Most of the time we were out in the snow enjoying the little snow we have this year. For some reason ever 2-3 weeks it gets back into the 40s again melting the snow. Theres about a total of a foot and a half that has survived the incredibly warm weather. Anyway the break ROCKED! and it was a fun 12 days 8)

I have not seen Black and White Cat, its probably another film I should check out. I found around 30 films from befor 1990 that I have not seen that are suposed to be great. Good thing I have all the name written down because Black and White Cat and a bunch of great films from the 90s that I have not seen are about to join that list 8)

Anyway hope you had a great break :wink:

8)

Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

When I'm in a mood I tend to watch either a Christmas films or a Tim Burton film. If I'm in a particularly bad mood, then I might watch a Christmassy Tim Burton film, such as Edward Scissorhands or The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Add a few tabs of ecstacy into the mix and -BOOM- bad mood vanquished!

Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:40 pm

Clueless
Love Actually
The Godfather
Office Space
Pride and Prejudice

...usually something funny or something in my top ten favorite films.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:07 pm
Extraordinary

Pride and Prejudice

The A&E version?

@Shrub & BJ...please please please watch Black Cat, White Cat and let me know what you two think. BJ, I don't know your film taste so much, but as far as you go Snrub, I have the distinct feeling that of all the members of this forum, you will appreciate it the most. I think its right up your alley.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:12 pm
Extraordinary

The Black Stallion is the film that i always watch when im not in a good mood.The film always takes my bad mood away,especially the race sequence.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Van Helsing, Blade II, Cool Runnings, Adaptation, Troy,...

Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:36 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

The indiana jones movies are kind of like comfort movies to me, in that you can escape your troubles and feel like you are in the hands of master entertainer.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
George A. Romero

it's weird, if i'm having problems with the world of today, i just pop in a movie or documentary that deals with history. it kinda makes me feel like i'm taking a trip back in time and escaping reality for a couple hours. does that make sense?

Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:17 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************

- It's a Wonderful Life
- Christmas Carol
- Miracle on 34th Street
- Bishop's Wife - Cary Grant, David Niven

COVER YOUR EYES
HIDE YOUR WOMEN & CHILDREN
HIT THE IGNORE BUTTON
BUT REMEMBER*****GOLDIE*****ALWAYS KNOWS THE RIGHT/BETTER ANSWER
THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY GOLDIE

Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:04 pm
All Star Poster

Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Mine is Grease as well. It's just that kind of laid back fun movie that just lifts your spirits and makes you feel just that much better. I even have the Grease soundtrack. I like Cool Runnings as well, only I don't watch that one as much as I do Grease.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

No doubt about it.

KJ

Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:50 pm
Profile WWW

Ripper wrote:
Pride and Prejudice

The A&E version?

All other versions suck major ass.

Colin Firth, wet t-shirt...I love that movie.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:01 pm
rustiphica

I can watch that movie all the time and is always on at my house.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:09 pm
Extraordinary

Kiki's Delivery Service. :D Hehe, I don't really know why.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:10 pm
Extraordinary

it's weird, if i'm having problems with the world of today, i just pop in a movie or documentary that deals with history. it kinda makes me feel like i'm taking a trip back in time and escaping reality for a couple hours. does that make sense?

That's interesting. What docs do you watch? Because when I see them it usually unsettles me more. Not because they are a direct reflection of issues today, but rather that I pick up on trends and the sort of common rythm of other situations (at least the ones that are considered worthy of being archived via a doc film).

greasedlightning wrote:
Mine is Grease as well. It's just that kind of laid back fun movie that just lifts your spirits and makes you feel just that much better. I even have the Grease soundtrack. I like Cool Runnings as well, only I don't watch that one as much as I do Grease.

Heha. Your screen name is a dead give away. :wink:

Ripper wrote:
All other versions suck major ass.

Colin Firth, wet t-shirt...I love that movie.

I like the two women they cast as the main sisters as well. Real beauties but not typical, so it was very convincing. The entire casting for that movie from Colin to their mother was excellent. What a great movie. Its about 5 hours long, I've seen it front to back twice, and in addition, the first time it was on A&E and cut up over several nights.

Eagle wrote:
Rounders.

No doubt about it.

KJ

:shock: How is that uplifting?

Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:58 am
Where will you be?

Rounders.

No doubt about it.

KJ

I'd be completely shocked too, but my movie is The Shawshank Redemption, not exactly light fare either...

Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next