Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 12:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 736 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next
 MOD's Top 100. xiayun Pg. 27. 
now we know

Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail (1975)

Fargo (1996)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

Silly pathetically humoured film

Good film, well made.

FUCK YES - amazing film! The best in the series :D :D

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:32 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I thought that Indiana was the best of the three as well. I love how Ford and Connery bicker the whole time, and when was the last time you saw a plane go down because an old man waved his umbrella at some pigeons. Bwahahaha. Excellent suspenceful movie with good comic additions.

An aside* My friends went to Beloit University, and apparently one of the Professors in the Archeology department was the man that Indiana was based off of. When you go to the school they have all these plaques and stuff up in homage to the professor, and they are quite proud of his being Indy's character source. :D

Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:40 pm
now we know

I thought that Indiana was the best of the three as well. I love how Ford and Connery bicker the whole time, and when was the last time you saw a plane go down because an old man waved his umbrella at some pigeons. Bwahahaha. Excellent suspenceful movie with good comic additions.

An aside* My friends went to Beloit University, and apparently one of the Professors in the Archeology department was the man that Indiana was based off of. When you go to the school they have all these plaques and stuff up in homage to the professor, and they are quite proud of his being Indy's character source. :D

Same reason i like it :D Also because i like the whole "Hero" vs "nazi's" thing, love it!!!!

I thought he was made up :? now i know ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:57 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

I've only seen Pirates twice. I enjoyed it and I probably would've (6/10 isn't bad - isn't that three stars? jk, I know that even though proportionally, it's 3 out of 5, but, when it's out of ten, it's more like an A-F letter grade scale, except, I wouldn't give it a D). Without Depp, the screenplay's flaws would've been more noticeable and the movie's length (it was over 2 hours and 25 minutes, no?) would have come into play. It'd prob. still be an above-average summer action flick, but I'd hate to imagine it without Depp.

BTW, isn't Gore Vidal an author? You were probably referring to Verbinski, no? :lol:...It felt good correcting dolcevita...

Where's "La Dolce Vita"? ;)

I'll do letter grades this time...

Cabaret - B+
Bonnie and Clyde - B+
Hud - A-
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown - A+
Goldfinger - A
Beauty and the Beast - A
Mississippi Burning - B+
The Bridges of Madison County - B
Jurassic Park - A
The Nightmare Before Christmas - A+
Hannah and Her Sisters - A
Monty Python and the Holy Grail - A+
Glory - B
Fargo - A+
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - B

Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:40 pm
Extraordinary

Oops. :oops: Imeant Verbinski. Listen torri, if this ever leaves this thread I'm coming after you with whips and daggers.

Now don't jump the gun on me...LDV is yet to come.

You've actually seen a ton of these movies. Good for you. I only started seeing them when I worked night shifts at video stores in college. You're going to put my film knowledge to shame by the time you hit my ripe 'ol age.

Here's 61-70:

Bladerunner (Dir Cut/1982)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920/Germany)
Alien (1979)
Rear Window (1954)
Hands on a Hard Body (1997)
The Triplettes of Belleville (2003/Canada/France)
Spellbound (2002)
Cleo from 5 to 7 (1961/France)
The Gospel According to St. Matthew (1964/Italy)
The Sting (1973)

Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:24 pm
College Boy Z

Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:27 pm
Extraordinary

I'd love to hear why you liked it Zingy...we may have had different reasons. For me it was just ultimately the most scary movie. Stuck in space, something inside your ship, then finding out that it was intended to be let in, but things are going wrong. Who should be eliminated, who was supposed to control it. What is happening. Oh yes, and stuck in space with nowhere to run.

The intense creation of the space inside the ship has been written about in so many books. Scott really built that space by the way he kept moving around the ship and doubling back. I was shocked when I found out that there was a double crosser, and that it was all sanctioned from below. And yeah, what little you do see of the alien (and often I think less is better, leaves more to the imagination) is freaking scary and so well done.

Why did you love it so much?

If you like Scott, you'll probably love Bladerunner too. Have you seen it yet?

Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:45 pm
College Boy T

I'd expect LDV to occupy...hmm...#1? Or at least hold a place in that first listing of ten movies...

Most of the movies from your list that I've seen are either classics, recent films with Academy Award nominations, or films that are just shown on tv a lot...I never intended to watch Mississippi Burning :-D

Blade Runner - "VHS" cut - B
Alien - A
Rear Window - A
Triplettes of Belleville - A- (Sooo strange. The art's nice though and it has a nice soundtrack/score)
Spellbound - A (Fav. documentary)
The Sting - A-

Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:49 pm
College Boy Z

I'd love to hear why you liked it Zingy...we may have had different reasons. For me it was just ultimately the most scary movie. Stuck in space, something inside your ship, then finding out that it was intended to be let in, but things are going wrong. Who should be eliminated, who was supposed to control it. What is happening. Oh yes, and stuck in space with nowhere to run.

The intense creation of the space inside the ship has been written about in so many books. Scott really built that space by the way he kept moving around the ship and doubling back. I was shocked when I found out that there was a double crosser, and that it was all sanctioned from below. And yeah, what little you do see of the alien (and often I think less is better, leaves more to the imagination) is freaking scary and so well done.

Why did you love it so much?

If you like Scott, you'll probably love Bladerunner too. Have you seen it yet?

I didn't find it scary. But, it's the first excellent sci/fi movie for me. When I was very young, I watched Alien and I loved it. I've watched it over and over throughout the years, and it's still as excellent as the first time. It was so well done for it's time, and one of the great sci-fi/horror movies ever (even though it wasn't scary to me, personally).

I'm a big fan of Ridley Scott. One of my favorite directors. I did watch Blade Runner, but it's been a long time, so I don't even want to get into that movie without giving it another watch.

Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:55 pm
Extraordinary

So Zingy. what movie actually did scare you?

Here's 71-80:

The Great Muppet Caper (1981)
LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
The Breakfast Club (1985)
The White Balloon (1995/Iran)
Annie Hall (1977)
Harold and Maude (1971)
Murder on the Orient Express (1974)
L'Avventura (1960/Italy)
Caravaggio (1986)
Nashville (1975)

Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:58 am
Forum General

Wadsworth: Professor Plum, you were once a professor of psychiatry specializing in helping paranoid and homicidal lunatics suffering from delusions of grandeur.
Professor Plum: Yes, but now I work for the United Nations.
Wadsworth: Then your work has not changed.

Sorry, I felt the need.

I love Clue so much. :)

Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Seriously the most quoteable movie in history:

Col. Mustard: Are you trying to make me look stupid in front of the other guests?
Wadsworth: You don't need any help from me, sir.
Col. Mustard: That's right!

---------------

Miss Scarlet: Maybe there is life after death.
Mrs. White: Life after death is as improbable as sex after marriage

----------------

Mrs. White: Are you a cop?
Mr. Green: No, I'm a plant.
Ms. Scarlet: A plant? I thought men like you were usually called a fruit!
Mr. Green: Very funny.

-----------------

One of my faves:

Miss Scarlet:
I hardly think it will enhance your reputation at the U.N. Professor Plum, if it's revealed that you have been implicated not only in adultery with one of your patients, but in her death and the deaths of five other people.

Prof. Plum:
You don't know what kind of people they have at the U.N., I might go up in their estimation.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:27 pm
Hot Fuss

Dolce, you have interesting taste! I like lots of your choices (The Red Balloon was my favorite movie when I was like 6 :oops: ). Others, im too young to have seen yet.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
Annie Hall (1977)

Good films :D

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:59 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring - A+ (My fav. of the three)
The Breakfast Club - B
Annie Hall - A
Harold and Maude - A (Better than The Graduate!)
Murder on the Orient Express - A- (I liked the book more)

Is The White Balloon the long-lost sequel to The Red Balloon? just kidding ;)

Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:21 pm
Hot Fuss

LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring - A+ (My fav. of the three)
The Breakfast Club - B
Annie Hall - A
Harold and Maude - A (Better than The Graduate!)
Murder on the Orient Express - A- (I liked the book more)

Is The White Balloon the long-lost sequel to The Red Balloon? just kidding ;)

Actually, there was a sequel called Le Voyage en Ballon :wink:

Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

So Zingy. what movie actually did scare you?

Not a single movie yet. Well, there was that time when I was about 4, and I watched A Nightmare on Elm Street (which was my very first movie, btw). I was a bit scared in that, but after a while, I became the fanboy and though of Freddy as "cool". If any movie has come close in the past 2-3 years, it was The Ring and The Grudge, which both made me jump in a couple of scenes with it's "surprising" moments. Nothing really scare, though.

I should make a thread on some of my favorite movies. Then, people can *really* have something to bash. :lol: :wink:

Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:28 pm
Extraordinary

Bwahahahaha! Are you kidding me Zack? The balloon freaking popped!

Those French Sell-Outs.

okay, #s 81-90:

Christ Stopped at Eboli (1979/Italy)
Black Orpheus (1959/Brazil)
Gosford Park (2001)
Down by Law (1986)
The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
Smoke (1995)
The Accidental Tourist (1988)
Photographing Fairies (1997)
Smoke Signals (1998)
Jackie Brown (1997)

Um...someone catch me if I've started accidentally renaming some of them. :oops:

edit* @Zingy. When I'm done mine I'll change the title of the thread and you can take over and start listing yours if you like? We can make it a running thing and have each person take over when someone has finished theirs. We'll compile a list. Perhaps we should start with all the MODs so we can optionally put our heads on the chopping block of taste.

Last edited by dolcevita on Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:35 pm
Hot Fuss

Nope, dolce. They made a new balloon. :lol:

"The Wonderful Feature Lenght Sequel to THE RED BALOON" :P

http://imdb.com/title/tt0056667/

Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

85 minutes?

Don't get me wrong, I loved Red Balloon...hell its on my top 100, but 85 minutes more of the same stuff and I might consider buying myself a hand gun.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:56 pm
College Boy T

If you watched your first movie at age four, you were deprived of your childhood. Are you honestly telling me you never watching "The Potty Video"?

dolce - I'll contribute, if needed. I've got some interesting choices, but my top ten is IMDB/Critic-typical. And, yeah, Citizen Kane is on there and, your absolute favorite - The Godfather Part II - is on it! ;)

I haven't seen many from 81-90:
Gosford Park - B- (I dunno. I liked "The Player" better, but I found Gosford Park boring. Perhaps I wasn't paying attention ;))
Jackie Brown - A- (The dialogue isn't entertaining as Pulp Fiction, but as Lecter, you, and I mentioned in the AMC Edit thread in the Over Seas section, Jackie Brown, unlike Pulp Fiction, can work without the consistent use of the curse words ;))
The Royal Tenenbaums - A- (A very flawed movie, yet, very entertaining. However, I don't think the film is slow in the last bit. Sure, it takes a while for Andersen to make his point, but the scenes flow well. It's been a while since I saw it, but I do remember being ultimately disturbed by the Luke Wilson's suicidal scene but then finding the ending of the film relieving in touching - in some way. I wish I could remember it...)

Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:11 pm
Extraordinary

Never bothered with Godfather two since the first one was okay, but didn't really leave me begging for more.

Torri, you have to watch Gosford again. The first time is the worst because he drops in so many little sound edits and hand gestures and eye movements, that if you know how its going to end and everyone's stories, it actually makes more sense. All the hushing and winking, etc. I thought the best time was watch #3. Then it hit a plateua.

Player was pretty good, but too easy for me. I saw it twice and then I was done with it. Didn't call my name after that the way Nashville and Gosford do. It was really about the stalker, while these have so many multiple story arcs you can follow a different one each time you watch.

Jackie Brown had dialogue that went somewhere, regardless of if it was as grandiouse and vulgar as Pulp. For pulp its like he just put stuff in to put stuff in, which was I guess the point, what people say everyday, even mafioso. But meh, I hear the day-to-day chit chat about cheeseburgers anyways, no need to hear more of it when I go to the movies. If I hear it in the movies, it has to be towards something more than just day-to-day chit chat.

Royal was the best Anderson for me, but I'm a bit of a sucker for Hackman and I thought he was seriously snubbed an Oscar nod that year. It was such a sort of different role for him, and he did it beautifully. The entire class was well above par, and I liked the rythm actually.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:18 pm
Forum General

One of the greatest war movies I have ever seen. The ending *wipes tear>

Do you know the score for that song? The music thats played in the background at the end?

Also, weren't morgan freeman and denzel fabulous in that movie?

Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:21 pm
Extraordinary

Glory (1989

Do you know the score for that song? The music thats played in the background at the end?

Yeah. I believe Denzel got Best Actor in a Supporting Role in the Oscars that year for it. It wasn't the ending that got me as much as Washington's character being so aggressive and finally admitting there was no reason for him to be fighting this war (basically it was an allusion to Jim Crowe probably) etc. It was actually a thoughtful movie and not just hockey sentimentalism.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:26 pm
Forum General

lovemerox wrote:
Glory (1989

Yeah. I believe Denzel got Best Actor in a Supporting Role in the Oscars that year for it. It wasn't the ending that got me as much as Washington's character being so aggressive and finally admitting there was no reason for him to be fighting this war (basically it was an allusion to Jim Crowe probably) etc. It was actually a thoughtful movie and not just hockey sentimentalism.

Did he? I couldn't really remember. I hate to be cliche but the ending really was my favorite part :oops: MOrgan freeman deserves so much more praise than he has recieved in his career.

Do you know the score of the movie?

Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 736 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next