Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 158  Next
 Grade The Last Movie You Watched 
Site Owner

(Out of ****)

Trois couleurs: Bleu (1993) - ***½
Directed by: Krzysztof Kieslowski
An absolutely brilliant, beautifully made film that is well-known as one of the greatest foreign films ever made. It is the first of a trilogy that deal with France's motto: Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity. Blue follows a more sombre, troubling film that is just down-right depressing. It follows a woman who has suffered a loss in her family and is trying to cope with it by starting a new life while getting away from her past, but it seems it's not that easy. She is forced to confront what she loves most other than her family...music. She find love again through music and becomes a person again. This film is a magical, heart-breaking story of human loss and life. A must see for anyone.

Trois couleurs: White (1994) - ***
Second film in the Colors Trilogy, this one dealing with Equality. It's about a couple getting a divorce. Her husband is devastated, heart-broken, and homeless. He is forced to go back to his homeland, Poland. There he meets with his brother and gets back on his feet. He becomes very successful, and he gets his revenge for her breaking his heart. This was definitely weaker than the first film, but I wouldn't call it a poorly made film by any means. It was a fantastic love story and wonderfully shot. It definitely keeps my attention for the last film of the three.

Koyaanisqatsi (1983) - **½
Directed by: Godfrey Reggio
The first film of another foreign film trilogy. It's a trilogy of life, and what is happening to the world around us. It was an amazing film to watch, the cinematography was stunning watching each perfectly filmed shot on the screen. While I thought it was slightly pretentious, and some parts were uninteresting or useless... I still throughly enjoyed it. This is a film that you would regard as art instead of a theatrical release for the masses. Definitely a worthy motion picture, and a great introduction to the trilogy.

Oh you just wait till dolce gets a hold of you. Wont be long.

Tick. Tock.

KJ

Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

slowreader wrote:
(Out of ****)

An absolutely brilliant, beautifully made film that is well-known as one of the greatest foreign films ever made. It is the first of a trilogy that deal with France's motto: Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity. Blue follows a more sombre, troubling film that is just down-right depressing. It follows a woman who has suffered a loss in her family and is trying to cope with it by starting a new life while getting away from her past, but it seems it's not that easy. She is forced to confront what she loves most other than her family...music. She find love again through music and becomes a person again. This film is a magical, heart-breaking story of human loss and life. A must see for anyone.

Second film in the Colors Trilogy, this one dealing with Equality. It's about a couple getting a divorce. Her husband is devastated, heart-broken, and homeless. He is forced to go back to his homeland, Poland. There he meets with his brother and gets back on his feet. He becomes very successful, and he gets his revenge for her breaking his heart. This was definitely weaker than the first film, but I wouldn't call it a poorly made film by any means. It was a fantastic love story and wonderfully shot. It definitely keeps my attention for the last film of the three.

The first film of another foreign film trilogy. It's a trilogy of life, and what is happening to the world around us. It was an amazing film to watch, the cinematography was stunning watching each perfectly filmed shot on the screen. While I thought it was slightly pretentious, and some parts were uninteresting or useless... I still throughly enjoyed it. This is a film that you would regard as art instead of a theatrical release for the masses. Definitely a worthy motion picture, and a great introduction to the trilogy.

Tick. Tock.

KJ

That was the first thing that has crossed my mind as well when I read that post :lol:

Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

The movie is flawed, no question. I've read the novel (written by Michael Crichton) that the movie is based on a couple of years ago and I even wrote an essay on it for school. The novel is probably my all-time favorite. The concept is really intriguing and the movie could mostly catch the essence of the book. Unfortunately, I want to emphasize the word "mostly", as it could have been much much better. The cast is great, especially Dustin Hoffman and Samuel L. Jackson, but after having read the novel, they seem somehow miscast. The concept of the movie, being able to manifestate your fears combined with the idea of time travel is very intriguing, but it doesn't use its full potential as well.

Nonetheless, the movie is full of suspense in some parts and has some nice twists to offer. The ending is not exactly what I'd call great, though.... But to put it in a nutshell, it is an interesting and suspenseful sci-fi movie with a good cast.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Waitress in LA

Tick. Tock.

KJ

Um...what?

Last Viewings (****)
Naqoyqatsi - *
Powaqqatsi - **
Trois couleurs: Rouge - ***½
Koyaanisqatsi - **½

Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

Eagle wrote:

Tick. Tock.

KJ

Um...what?

I don't want to spoil it for you. But you will see :D

KJ

Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:02 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Eagle wrote:

Tick. Tock.

KJ

Um...what?

You'll find out soon :lol:

Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:02 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Eagle wrote:
slowreader wrote:
(Out of ****)

Tick. Tock.

KJ

That was the first thing that has crossed my mind as well when I read that post :lol:

:shock: Oh Signore....Calma, il mio cuore.
Penso che sono inammorato.
Dov'era tutta lia mia vita???

Who are you? I see this could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship. :wink:

I see you are well on your way through the colors...the best is yet to come. Please check out Le Double Vie de Veronique. Keislowski did it with Irene Jacob after they worked together on Red. They really were a great pairing and Veronique is the peak. Preisner does all the music, and he taps into Van Den Budenmayer for Veronique in a way that is bound to move you even more so than the fairy marionette. And Red too, oh lalala. A bubble gum ad model and a retired judge never made for such an interesting combo.

If you liked the qatsi trilogy...check out Man with a Movie Camera. Much earier mind you, and requiring live accompanyment which isn't quite on the level of Philip Glass, but still....you'd be interesting to see Reggio's predecessor.

Oh my...where to begin?

Want to co-host the French Film Festival with Me? You...and I...together.
Belle nuit
Oh nuit d'amour
Souris à nos ivresses
Nuit plus douce que le jour
Oh belle nuit d'amour

.... :wink:

*swoons*
*swoons again*
*swoons a third time*

Last edited by dolcevita on Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:36 pm
Site Owner

:wink:

Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Waitress in LA

Who are you? I see this could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship. :wink:

I see you are well on your way through the colors...the best is yet to come. Please check out Le Double Vie de Veronique. Keislowski did it with Irene Jacob after they worked together on Red. They really were a great pairing and Veronique is the peak. Preisner does all the music, and he taps into Van Den Budenmayer for Veronique in a way that is bound to move you even more so than the fairy marionette. And Red too, oh lalala. A bubble gum ad model and a retired judge never made for such an interesting combo.

If you liked the qatsi trilogy...check out Man with a Movie Camera. Much earier mind you, and requiring live accompanyment which isn't quite on the level of Philip Glass, but still....you'd be interesting to see Reggio's predecessor.

Oh my...were to begin?

Want to co-host the French Film Festival with Me?
Belle nuit
Oh nuit d'amour
Souris à nos ivresses
Oh belle nuit d'amour

*swoons*
*swoons again*
*swoons a third time*

Wow. Everyone made me feel that something bad was going to happen. :lol:

A very pleasant surprise. I have not seen Le Double Vie de Veronique, but now I'm very interested and will have to seek out the film. I will be finishing the colors trilogy tomorrow evening, and will certainly get back to you with my feelings about the film.

It's wonderful to see another person who adores French culture and cinema like I do. I'm curious have you seen any of Truffaut's work, specifically The 400 Blows which is easily one of my favorite films of all-time.

In regards to the Qatsi trilogy, still only one film in, and desperately need to see the other two. I am now even more interested in Man with a Movie Camera.

By the way, I would love to co-host the French Film Festival with you. I would be honored.

Last Viewings (****)
Naqoyqatsi - *
Powaqqatsi - **
Koyaanisqatsi - **½

Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The critics did not like this one, however, I did. Hearing the premise of this movie makes it seem eniterly unplausable, but seeing it does not. I will not tell you the plot because many will jump off and decide not to see it because of its seemingly unlikely events. There were problems, many of them. But Christina Ricci was great. Her role is somewhere inbetween Reese Witherspoon's in Legally Blonde, and Reese Witherspoon's in the vastly underrated Election. And she even looks a little like Reese too. Good movie, add it to your NetFlix Queue. Oh...problems: It drags on quite a bit and seems longer than it is, the comedy is great, but sparse, and also is somewhat predictable.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:08 pm
Extraordinary

dolcevita wrote:

Oh my...were to begin?

Want to co-host the French Film Festival with Me?
Belle nuit
Oh nuit d'amour
Souris à nos ivresses
Oh belle nuit d'amour

*swoons*
*swoons again*
*swoons a third time*

Wow. Everyone made me feel that something bad was going to happen. :lol:

A very pleasant surprise. I have not seen Le Double Vie de Veronique, but now I'm very interested and will have to seek out the film. I will be finishing the colors trilogy tomorrow evening, and will certainly get back to you with my feelings about the film.

It's wonderful to see another person who adores French culture and cinema like I do. I'm curious have you seen any of Truffaut's work, specifically The 400 Blows which is easily one of my favorite films of all-time.

In regards to the Qatsi trilogy, still only one film in, and desperately need to see the other two. I am now even more interested in Man with a Movie Camera.

By the way, I would love to co-host the French Film Festival with you. I would be honored.

I was almost going to add the line "Seen 400 Blows...400 times?" :D

Hop on into the Over Seas Forum and sign up...give me a moment to pm you and then check your pm box!

*Winks*
*blows slowreader a kiss*
*swoons again*

Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:11 pm
You must have big rats

A German slasher flick. The first movie was one of the beter slashers I have seen and this one, while slightly worse, is not bad either. It is not really a teenie slasher as the whole cast is rather adult and the themes are more serious. Overall the movie is suspenseful, well-acted and mostly well-executed. It is just absolutely nothing special and it doesn't add anything to the genre.

Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:59 am
Profile WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

A+

Hadn't seen this film in about 10 years so I decided to pick it up on DVD this weekend.... I had forgotton how great this film is.

Alec Guiness's portrayal of the obsessive,"by the book" officer in charge of his men in a Japanes prison camp nothing short of perfect.....And the finale is the definition of what suspense should be. Great film

Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:01 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:40 am
Profile YIM WWW
Star Trek XI

Mean Girls - B

Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Waitress in LA

An outstanding conclusion to the Colors trilogy. This was another perfectly shot film from Kieslowski that exceeded my expectations and then some. The story of a woman meeting a man who invades others privacy by listening to their phone conversations. He makes her realize things about herself that she wasn't aware of while creating a lasting relationship with the old man. This like the other two films are a beautiful display of what life is, and what strange things can happen. This is a more than worthy finale to the series.

The Colors trilogy as a whole is one of the most amazing film experiences I have had, and easily one of the greatest trilogies ever crafted.

Last Viewings (****)
Naqoyqatsi - *
Powaqqatsi - **
Koyaanisqatsi - **½

Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

An outstanding conclusion to the Colors trilogy. This was another perfectly shot film from Kieslowski that exceeded my expectations and then some. The story of a woman meeting a man who invades others privacy by listening to their phone conversations. He makes her realize things about herself that she wasn't aware of while creating a lasting relationship with the old man. This like the other two films are a beautiful display of what life is, and what strange things can happen. This is a more than worthy finale to the series.

The Colors trilogy as a whole is one of the most amazing film experiences I have had, and easily one of the greatest trilogies ever crafted.

:D :D :D

:wink:

Did you like what Preisner did with Bolero? Very soft, very lovely. The entire movie is very well choreographed, and some how very lonely even though the end is theoretically uplifting.

Very haunting.

good taste

-Dolce

Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:36 pm
Waitress in LA

Did you like what Preisner did with Bolero? Very soft, very lovely. The entire movie is very well choreographed, and some how very lonely even though the end is theoretically uplifting.

Of course, the score for each film had their own style and brilliance to them. It complimented the films so well, it is what you said, haunting.

These films are truly beautiful and with repeated viewings will more than likely become some of my favorite films of all-time.

Last Viewings (****)
Naqoyqatsi - *
Powaqqatsi - **
Koyaanisqatsi - **½

Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Bridge on the River Kwai -

A+

Hadn't seen this film in about 10 years so I decided to pick it up on DVD this weekend.... I had forgotton how great this film is.

Alec Guiness's portrayal of the obsessive,"by the book" officer in charge of his men in a Japanes prison camp nothing short of perfect.....And the finale is the definition of what suspense should be. Great film

I remember watching this this .. again only 3 years back.
It really is a timeless classic. I was visiting my friend in rochester, met one of his dorm mates and we remembered we had a vcd copy of this. For the next 3 hours or so, there were about 4 of us huddled around a computer doing nothing but watching this in silence.

It goes without saying that if someone enjoyed watching this, the person is bound to love The Great Escape as well.

Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

Yeah Kwai is a classic, that's the kind of movie I like where people actually act, and writers really write, and it's not all about surface gloss.

About the three colors movies: Blue was well-crafted but a bit vapid, Red was an interesting failure but beautifully shot, White blew. The director would have been better off interweaving the three stories into one great 3 hour film that would have held up over time better. There just wasn't enough content for 3 seperate ones.

The most recent movie I've seen was Two Weeks Notice, on DVD. It was surprisingly decent, though I'm glad I didn't pay for it in a theater. Solid B-, unoriginal but lots of charm.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

About the three colors movies: Blue was well-crafted but a bit vapid, Red was an interesting failure but beautifully shot, White blew. The director would have been better off interweaving the three stories into one great 3 hour film that would have held up over time better. There just wasn't enough content for 3 seperate ones.

The most recent movie I've seen was Two Weeks Notice, on DVD. It was surprisingly decent, though I'm glad I didn't pay for it in a theater. Solid B-, unoriginal but lots of charm.

:evil:
To...be...discussed...next...week...in...French Film Festival.

I am going to go now, and recruit many people...

to prove you are wrong.

-Dolce

Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:53 pm
Draughty

Archie Gates wrote:

:evil:
To...be...discussed...next...week...in...French Film Festival.

I am going to go now, and recruit many people...

to prove you are wrong.

-Dolce

Many people that have both watched and liked them? On this board?

I didn't say they were bad, well White is but Red and Blue aren't. True, Red is no Two Weeks Notice but it has its good points.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:57 pm
Profile WWW
Waitress in LA

I didn't say they were bad, well White is but Red and Blue aren't. True, Red is no Two Weeks Notice but it has its good points.

I've seen both, and would say that I prefer the Colors trilogy over Two Weeks Notice.

I didn't care for TWN as much as other people did and I'm a fan of romantic comedies. There were just some bits that I didn't care for like the camper scene and the un-funny dialogue that brought down the pace and overall presentation of the film. There was some chemistry between Grant and Bullock, but it wasn't nearly as emotional as the Colors trilogy.

Last Viewings (****)
Naqoyqatsi - *
Powaqqatsi - **
Koyaanisqatsi - **½

Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Some very horrible acting (Dracula's brides... *shudders*) and cheesy effects, but I have to admit, the movie was VERY entertaining for me. Hands down guiltiest pleasure of the year so far.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:46 pm
College Boy Z

Van Helsing - B+

Some very horrible acting (Dracula's brides... *shudders*) and cheesy effects, but I have to admit, the movie was VERY entertaining for me. Hands down guiltiest pleasure of the year so far.

:twisted:

Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 158  Next