Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Will Any Popcorn Movies Be Recognized By The Oscars in 2005? 
Award Winning Bastard

Post Will Any Popcorn Movies Be Recognized By The Oscars in 2005?
I'm not talking about the minor awards, like FX and such, but the big awards. Last year, ROTK and POTC were the popcorn movie representatives in the big awards noms. Do you see that trend continuing this year, with a nod in one of the big award categories, or will they only reward the more traditional films?

Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:46 pm
Lord of filth

Outside of The Incredibles and Collateral screenplay nomination, or maybe Mean Girls or Napoleon Dynamite's possible screenplay strength, if any other popular entertainment type film got a major nomination in the top 8 categores (pic, dir, screenplays, actors) then it would be a mega surprise.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I wouldn't even classify Napoleon Dynamite as a popcorn-film, I guess.

But to answer your question, no, I don't think so. Heck, I am not even sure if Spider-Man 2 will win Best VFX anymore considering that if The Aviator starts winning tons of awards they just might give that one to it as well.

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:53 pm
Profile WWW
The only film with any hope would be Spider-man 2. But I don't think this year is the year for Spidey.

If Spider-man 3 can surpass it in terms of quality, I think the franchise may be able to squeeze out some major noms for 2008.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:53 pm
Lord of filth

The only real popcorn flicks that are sitting outside of consideration, that did well enough with critics to be considered "great" would be The Bourne Supremacy, Spider-Man 2 and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Everything else is either a drama or had Oscar potential from the beginning.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Spider-Man 2 would be my hope, but I'm not holding my breath. I think J.K. Simmons deserves a nod for best supporting actor, but admittedly, he probably doesn't have as much screen time as others who did good jobs. I kinda think they'll just go back to dramas, and leave the fantasy stuff and popular movies to the box office again. (at least until they want a ratings boost)

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:01 pm
(at least until they want a ratings boost)

Speaking of ratings,

from zap2it

Most of Hollywood may have been using the Golden Globes as an excuse to party the night away, but viewers at home were more interested in what was happening with football on CBS and ABC's regular Sunday night lineup.

CBS won the night among households with an 11.9 rating/8 share, while ABC came in second with a 10.3/15. NBC was third with a 10.0/15, followed by FOX, 3.6/5, and The WB, 1.8/3.

Maybe King Kong will be nominated next year by the Globes just to boost ratings, eh Mavy.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:05 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

There's cahnce no movie with over $100 million could be nominated in the major categories...at all (unless The Aviator or Million Dollar Baby manage to break the $100 million mark), so...umm...no.

Spider-man has a long long long long shot, but it would be one of the biggest shockers ever probably. Though, IMO, it does deserve a best director nom and supporting actress/

Harry Potter is another long longgggggggggggggggggggg shot for best director.

Other than that I can't think of anything. Jamie Foxx for Collateral?

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:11 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Maverikk wrote:
(at least until they want a ratings boost)

Speaking of ratings,

from zap2it

Most of Hollywood may have been using the Golden Globes as an excuse to party the night away, but viewers at home were more interested in what was happening with football on CBS and ABC's regular Sunday night lineup.

CBS won the night among households with an 11.9 rating/8 share, while ABC came in second with a 10.3/15. NBC was third with a 10.0/15, followed by FOX, 3.6/5, and The WB, 1.8/3.

Maybe King Kong will be nominated next year by the Globes just to boost ratings, eh Mavy.

I think the smarter thing to do would be...don't schedule the Golden Globes to go up against the football playoffs and Desperate Housewives. [-X

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:11 pm
Collateral could manage Director, Editing, and Cinematography nominations, if that counts Mavy.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:20 pm
You must have big rats

Collateral could manage Director, Editing, and Cinematography nominations, if that counts Mavy.

*crosses fingers for that to happen*

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

The only film with any hope would be Spider-man 2. But I don't think this year is the year for Spidey.

If Spider-man 3 can surpass it in terms of quality, I think the franchise may be able to squeeze out some major noms for 2008.

As long as Sam Raimi is attached to it and continues with the Quality of stories he had for the last 2, then it should be a shoe in, but only if Raimi does it and no one else.. [-X

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:48 am
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

loyalfromlondon wrote:

*crosses fingers for that to happen*

No kidding. Would take that over The Aviator, Ray, Hotel Rwanda, The Incredibles, Finding Neverland, etc.

Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:29 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]