Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Gran Turismo 

Grade:
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Gran Turismo 
now we know

Post Gran Turismo

Quote:
Gran Turismo (also known as Gran Turismo: Based on a True Story in some countries) is a 2023 American biographical sports drama film directed by Neill Blomkamp from a screenplay by Jason Hall and Zach Baylin. Produced by Columbia Pictures, PlayStation Productions, and 2.0 Entertainment, it is based on the racing simulation video game series of the same name developed by Polyphony Digital. It tells the true story of Jann Mardenborough, a teenage Gran Turismo player who was able to become a professional race car driver. The film stars Archie Madekwe as Mardenborough alongside David Harbour, Orlando Bloom, Darren Barnet, Emelia Hartford, Geri Halliwell Horner, and Djimon Hounsou.

Gran Turismo premiered at the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium on July 30, 2023, and was released in the United States on August 25, by Sony Pictures Releasing.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:43 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Re: Gran Turismo
This surprised me. It works well as both a racing film and a game adaptation. Performances are good (Harbour is perfect as the grizzled race engineer with a heart of gold. Yes we've seen the tropes before but the fact its based on a true story overrides that issue.

This is fast paced and engaging - something we don't see alot if these days. Worth watching at the cinema.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:40 am
Extraordinary

Hmmm ok, I literally had no interest in it but I'll check it out in Dolby cause of your review :funny:

Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:28 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Hmmm ok, I literally had no interest in it but I'll check it out in Dolby cause of your review :funny:

Oh no! Now I’ve set your expectations too high!! :funny:

Its an enjoyable film. Though it helps if you like motorsports/racing but not a must.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:01 pm
Superman: The Movie

Is it a giant ad for Sony? Absolutely. But there’s a damn good sports movie in there and that’s good enough for me. And yeah, as someone whose video game knowledge doesn’t really expand past The Sims 2 (which I just got back into), I kind of want to play Gran Turismo.

I just kind of wish it wasn’t as safe as it is, which is weird because the lead accidentally kills an innocent person. But it’s okay because we don’t find out anything about them. Could’ve been a kid. Who cares?

The villain could’ve had much more bite (like a personality). Two scenes set him up to be a brat, he says a mean thing here or there, but that’s about it. For a movie that’s 135 minutes, it feels like at least 15 were cut out and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he had some stuff on the cutting room floor. The dick at the GT Academy (who later becomes an ally) is a better villain than Capa.

And I kind of wish Blomkamp went a little wilder with the visuals (I get that they’re bringing a gamer into the real world of driving and that premise kind of puts a restriction on that).

But the cast is really fucking good. Harbour is pretty outstanding. Bloom is very good. The lead is a little bland, but I blame that on the script more than him.

Good movie!

When does Lorne Balfe sleep? Or is he now also a Hans Zimmer like factory/machine?

B+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Agreed with Madgez here on the surprise factor. I wasn't even intending to see this one but timing wise it worked. I wasn't a huge GT game player but the movie is captivating. The audience cheered and ate it up. The movie really is special particularly due to Harbour. He is the glue that makes it so captivating and I'm excited to see his post Stranger Things movie career. The racing scenes were also well done. Also was surprised to a Spice Girl playing his mom but then found out later she's apparently married to a previous racing driver and current Red Bull Team Principal for F1. Djimon Hounsou is great too and feels so underutilized as an actor in Hollywood. This is a really fun time.

A-

Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:00 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Saw it last night, surprisingly good! The trailers really didn't appeal to me but solid movie. Well made and entertaining.

Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]