Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Sausage Party 

Rate this film:
A 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

Sausage Party 
Pure Phase

Post Sausage Party

Quote:
Sausage Party is a 2016 American computer animated comedy film directed by Greg Tiernan (in his feature debut) and Conrad Vernon, and written by Kyle Hunter, Ariel Shaffir, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. It stars an ensemble voice cast that includes Rogen, Kristen Wiig, Jonah Hill, Bill Hader, Michael Cera, James Franco, Danny McBride, Craig Robinson, Paul Rudd, Nick Kroll, David Krumholtz, Edward Norton and Salma Hayek.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:20 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Sausage Party
Some of it is clever and pretty amusing (an actual douche is a villain lol) but for its short running time it drags sometimes. That outrageous sex scene at the end though...

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:06 pm
Pure Phase

Sausage Party is not a hilarious comedy, but it is a clever one. It illustrates the distinction nicely. Set in a sprawling grocery store and animated in the bright, mainstream style of Pixar or Illumination Entertainment, the story turns on anthropomorphized foods who worship "gods" (human customers) and dream of going to the "Great Beyond" (being purchased), unaware of the awful fate awaiting them once they reach the kitchen. The heroes, voiced by Seth Rogen and Kristen Wiig, are a hot dog and his girlfriend, a bun; they become lost among the aisles of the store and slowly learn the truth of their existence. This film is heavy on moments in which the viewer "gets it." We understand the idea of the gag—the item of popular culture being referenced, the institution (including organized religion) being parodied—and appreciate the subversive intelligence of the film's creative team. But it is not the most involving film (the pace is inconsistent, and the sit feels a tad longer than its 88 minutes), and I simply did not laugh out loud as much as I hoped. Also, I hate to sound prudish, but after awhile, the novelty of hearing adorable groceries drop f bombs wears thin.

B-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:26 am
Pure Phase

Edward Norton does a fantastic Woody Allen impersonation.

Interesting, though, they cast arguably the most intensely Jewish actor alive (David Krumholtz) as the "Palestinian." And not, say, Aasif Mandvi.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:48 am
Wallflower

David wrote:
Edward Norton does a fantastic Woody Allen impersonation.

He does, but I was also reminded of this kid's Woody Allen impression. They sounded the same to me. Both nail it. For a second last night I was wondering if Woody Allen was really voicing that character.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:40 pm
Wallflower

I really enjoyed it. I found it pretty funny and clever. The finale is laugh-out-loud hilarious and insane. I thought that was the best part of the movie and easily the funniest. I'd love a sequel taking place during Thanksgiving/Christmas.

8/10 (B+)

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:49 pm
Superman: The Movie

It's smart, it's got a lot on its mind, it's clever, but first and foremost it's a comedy and I just didn't laugh enough. The shtick wears thin very quickly. We get that you wanted to make a dirty animated comedy. That works for about fifteen minutes (and that scene at the end went over like a lead balloon in my theater). It has to be consistently funny to keep things going. It doesn't do that, which is a shame because the material is there.

C

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

David wrote:
Sausage Party is not a hilarious comedy, but it is a clever one. It illustrates the distinction nicely. Set in a sprawling grocery store and animated in the bright, mainstream style of Pixar or Illumination Entertainment, the story turns on anthropomorphized foods who worship "gods" (human customers) and dream of going to the "Great Beyond" (being purchased), unaware of the awful fate awaiting them once they reach the kitchen. The heroes, voiced by Seth Rogen and Kristen Wiig, are a hot dog and his girlfriend, a bun; they become lost among the aisles of the store and slowly learn the truth of their existence. This film is heavy on moments in which the viewer "gets it." We understand the idea of the gag—the item of popular culture being referenced, the institution (including organized religion) being parodied—and appreciate the subversive intelligence of the film's creative team. But it is not the most involving film (the pace is inconsistent, and the sit feels a tad longer than its 88 minutes), and I simply did not laugh out loud as much as I hoped. Also, I hate to sound prudish, but after awhile, the novelty of hearing adorable groceries drop f bombs wears thin.

B-

This review sums it up. As a film, it is interesting and clever, but not laugh out loud funny like you would want it to be in the films middle act (the beginning before the novelty wares off and the sex scene at the end being the exception). Though I really applaud its ambition.

B+

Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:39 pm
Superman: The Movie

That's funny. David, zwack and I are pretty much on the same page yet our grades are all over the place.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:00 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

This was hilarious, and the last 30 minutes are a wonder to behold. It probably doesn't hold up well that well upon further reflection, but I had a great time. B+

The orgy is the hardest I've laughed in a while.

Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:13 pm
Wallflower

Yes, the finale is worth the price of admission alone. That was gut-bustingly funny.

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:59 am
Forum General

I had a good time with this, but by the second half the concept does start to wear thin. Their are quite a few funny moments eventhough I do think the best parts were mostly spoiled in the trailers. I did really like the animation overall as well as the voice cast, although Ed Norton as a Bagel and Selma Hayek as a lesbian taco fell kinda flat for me honestly. That orgy scene was pretty though in a uncomfortable/wtf kind of way lol.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:29 pm
Cream of the Crop

Sausage Party is awful. I didn't laugh once. The "humor" is painfully obvious and dullwitted. Not only that, it wasn't even dirty enough to warrant it's adult rating. What a waste of time. *F*

I'd like to say this is the wurst movie I've seen this summer, but that dishonor goes to Star Trek Beyond.

Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:53 pm
The Kramer

This was one of my most anticipated movies, but I didn't really like it. It's a great concept and there's a few really great scenes (the "massacre" from the trailers, the food fighting back, the orgy), but 80% of the dialogue is "fuck" or "shit" and that fuckin shit gets old after awhile. Except for Nick Kroll's douche who got old the second after he appeared. It reminded of The Watch, which also had a great premise and nothing to fill it but dick jokes. Even when they try to add deeper themes about religion it is only in the most basic of stereotypes.

Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:29 pm
The Wall

*1/2 / ***** (D-)

I liked the trailer and I looked forward to this. Unfortunately the trailer covered pretty much everything you can get out of this movie.

Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

This is great. It's raunchy, but hits so many right notes with constant funny references left and right, that it's not just about that. I had a lot of fun with this as it has a pretty much no holds barred approach to anything and I like that they went with it. Often times it's very creative and otherwise it moves along nicely with encores of jokes that work. The film has a great cast and is one of Rogen's best. The pacing is were the film could have improved though, even at a short run-time it felt a bit long winding at times. All together, it's one of the most enjoyable animated film I've ever seen though. Oh, and Meat Loaf was just brilliant!

A-

Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:38 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie is atrocious. So bad. The good reviews baffle me.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:41 pm
Profile YIM
Keeping it Light

Sure, it's crude, but I also found it creative, quite original and mostly hilarious to consider it better than any other animated film this year.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:41 am
Pure Phase

The more removed I am from the film, the less I admire it. I broadly dig the concept, the lampooning of organized religion, but it is a rather exhausting film to watch.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:26 am
now we know

Eh, it is ok. It drags on a bit. Foul-mouthed food items are not funny. There are some funny lines but I only lauched at about 1% of all the "jokes". The opening scene in the supermarket is a bit shit. The best parts are the kitchen scene when the potato gets peeled and the orgy scene near the end. There are some creative ideas regarding packaging and products interacting and such, but the film seems to think that a swearing animated film is enough, and it isn't. The best voice was Ed Norton's jewish doughnut. I wish at least one of Rogen's films didn't include smoking weed, being high, getting wasted, being drunk etc. I liked the idea of being controversial with regards to race, religion etc. but, I don't know, it wasn't tackled with intelligence here. I feel like this idea would have been better as a short.

C

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:28 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Having heard about the food-orgy scene in advance I actually found it a bit disappointing. It does start to drag at some point, but for the most part I had more fun with this than any other animation last year.

Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:03 am
Devil's Advocate

Smarter than I expected with taking on the religion theme, although not sure all the race stuff worked or that I needed the Israel and Palestine bit or the lesbian taco, although they both made the ending funnier. Lots of great moments like the opening song, Saving Private Ryan parody, when the vegetables in Barry's group first get cut off, killing the humans at the end, and of course, the orgy. Great overall.

Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]