Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Room (2015) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 79%  79%  [ 11 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14

Room (2015) 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Room (2015)
Room (2015)

Quote:
Room is a 2015 Canadian-Irish drama film directed by Lenny Abrahamson and written by Emma Donoghue, based on the novel of the same name by Donoghue. The film stars Brie Larson, Joan Allen, William H. Macy, Sean Bridgers and Jacob Tremblay. It was shown in the Special Presentations section of the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival, after premiering at Telluride Film Festival. The film is scheduled to be released in a limited release on October 16, 2015, before being released nationwide on November 6, 2015, by A24 Films.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Room (2015)
Really strong. Lenny Abrahamson does a great job making the one Room feel big to help put it from the perspective of Jack. The sweeping score works for me. It's a warm film emotionally instead of going the tough to watch route. The ending scene will be one of the best of the year.

I would call the section of the film in Room up until the escape to be near perfect and on its way to classic material. The parts outside of Room fall short in the supporting characters and their cold reaction felt forced. I also feel Brie Larson's performance in this is slightly overrated. She does enough in the Room section to get an Oscar nomination but outside of it the performance begins to feel skin deep. Jacob Tremblay on the other hand is fantastic in loud and small moments. To me this is Jack's film.

Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:27 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is my favorite movie of the year so far and completely lives up to the hype as a thrilling, emotional and powerful experience. Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay deliver two of the year's best performances. I can't say enough good things about it - I thought it was close to flawless. A+

Be prepared to ugly cry though.

Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:27 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

Glad you loved it Cory. I cannot wait to see it.

Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:09 pm
Extraordinary

Shack wrote:
Really strong. Lenny Abrahamson does a great job making the one Room feel big to help put it from the perspective of Jack. The sweeping score works for me. It's a warm film emotionally instead of going the tough to watch route. The ending scene will be one of the best of the year.

I would call the section of the film in Room up until the escape to be near perfect and on its way to classic material. The parts outside of Room fall short in the supporting characters and their cold reaction felt forced. I also feel Brie Larson's performance in this is slightly overrated. She does enough in the Room section to get an Oscar nomination but outside of it the performance begins to feel skin deep. Jacob Tremblay on the other hand is fantastic in loud and small moments. To me this is Jack's film.

I fully agree with you. Everything until the police reaches the shed is terrific but the remainder of the movie doesn't compare. Larson is quite good but Jacob Tremblay's performance deserves the praise.

Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:58 am
Sbil

Well, this was just incredibly powerful and gut-wrenching. Following the news of the kidnapped Cleveland women's escape/rescue, I wondered if we would get a film with a similar sort of story. Room is a story about the inner strength inside of us and hope in the face of overcoming the most traumatic experiences. Sure, many films have touched on these sorts of themes. But this one touches a nerve and totally stunned me. Much of the film's power is from the stupendous lead performances of Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay. These are two intensely relatable, sympathetic and natural performances. Tremblay is a great find for a young child actor, and rising star Larson delivers on all the previous promise she's shown and then some. Joan Allen is wonderful in the film's most substantial supporting performance; there's not necessarily a ton of narrative meat, but Allen gets several moments of quiet power (the briefly devastated look on her face while making cupcakes with Jack when he talks about his wardrobe in room and when Old Nick would come "visit"). This is a movie where it becomes almost impossible to not reflect on what you just saw and place yourself in the character's shoes. A

Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:32 am
Forum General

Near perfect. Brie Larson, Jacob Tremblay and Joan Allen all deserve Oscar nominations for their work here. It's a very moving, well directed and written film and definitely not one that will soon be forgotten.

A

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pure Phase

A mother (Brie Larson) and her five-year-old son (Jacob Tremblay) live inside a small, soundproofed shed containing a bathtub, a bed, a small television set, and only a few other items. They never go outside. Ma understands the true nature of their confined existence—their captor abducted her as a teenager, and the child is a product of rape—but she has shielded her son from this harsh reality, ensuring his mental and physical health with a daily regimen of exercise, imagination, and nurturing. For him, it is not simply a room, but "Room," and he believes its four walls are the extent of the world. This dual perspective is the basis of Room. It is, of course, a disturbing dynamic on the surface, but also a beautiful testament to strength born of parental devotion. Though fine aid is lent by a concerned-yet-resolved Joan Allen (as Ma's mother) and an eerie, repugnant Sean Bridgers (as "Old Nick"), this is largely a two-actor piece, and it is significantly buoyed by the astonishing shared achievement of Larson and 9-year-old Tremblay. In tandem, they fashion an authentic and unique emotional shorthand and anchor Room's portrayal of love as an unconquerable force of redemption and salvation. The film also pivots from its wrenching first half to the more wistful second with one of the year's most well-realized sequences of nauseating, noose-tightening suspense.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:16 pm
Wallflower

I will be surprised if this doesn't end up the most powerful film of the year. Beautiful and heartbreaking and ultimately uplifting. Jacob Tremblay gives one of the best child performances I've ever seen and Brie Larson is equally brilliant. If Tremblay can't get an Oscar nomination it will be a grave injustice. And I really hope Larson wins Best Actress.

Haven't been able to get this one out of my head.

Grade: A

Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:55 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Fantastic film.

Larson is aces and deserves an Oscar nomination at least (though with how strong she is here, I think Short Term 12 is still her best performance). Tremblay though is something else, easily one of the best child performances I've seen. The story holds up with the performances and it's one of the year's best.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:10 am
Profile WWW
Grill

All the awards. What a wonderful film. The performances by Brie and Jacob were phenomenal. I loved this movie. Hopefully more people share the same view because after she got snubbed for Short Term 12, she goes and does this. Fantastic.

A+

Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:46 pm
---------

Wow - just amazing. I applaud the movie for not ending on some dramatic turn of the movie (like the escape or a court room battle), but instead a step signifying their journey in getting over Room.

Jacob Trembley kills it. He deserved to get nominated and win Best Lead Actor over DiCaprio. ;)

A

Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:41 pm
New Server, Same X

I can't really add much to what has already been said. I agree with all praise heaped on this movie. It's more rare than one would think to get one awe-inspiring performance, but to get two in the same movie is a near-miracle. That one of those is from a child actor is even more incredible. Larson and Tremblay are exceptional, and it's unfortunate that the Oscar race doesn't include Jacob Tremblay (in lead, not supporting).

What I would like to touch on are two nice things that the film doesn't do that perhaps a lesser screenwriter (I know Emma Donoghue adapted it from her own story) or maybe a studio would have shoved in for satisfaction. One, William H. Macy's inability to interact with his own grandson. There isn't some big realization that comes later on, or even in that scene in which Joy demands her father look at Jack. Of course it would be a heart-lifting scene to see his grandfather look at him and love him as family. That doesn't happen. It would feel forced just to tug at heartstrings.

Another nice addition is that we don't get any kind of satisfaction in knowing what happens to Old Nick. We can of course assume what happens. A lesser film might give us at least a throwaway line to assure us that Old Nick got his, but we don't, thankfully. It's not about revenge or justice. It's about Ma and Jack. In Room and in the world.

Grade: A

Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:13 pm
Pure Phase

There is a newscast saying Old Nick is in police custody, isn't there?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:32 pm
Wallflower

David wrote:

Yes there is.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:57 am
Cream of the Crop

One of my favorites from 2015. No Oscar nom for that kid is practically child abuse. *A*

Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:55 am
New Server, Same X

David wrote:

Doesn't Bill Macy also say Old Nick's going for a trial? It just feels like an anti-climatic ending to that, which I'm fine with. I meant there wasn't a scene where it's mentioned Old Nick was sentenced to however many years in prison, or worse yet, that he killed himself to avoid capture.

Sorry I didn't mean that there was no mention he was even found.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:54 am
New Server, Same X

Saw this a second time and loved it even more. It's so powerful and perfect. It made me really sad that Jacob Tremblay wasn't nominated for an Oscar. He propels the entire story. I'm not even sure that Brie Larson would be the lock for Best Actress without Tremblay. She's fantastic, don't get me wrong, but so much is guided by his actions and reactions throughout. My favorite scene is the one where Old Nick takes Jack out in the rug and he unrolls in the back of the track, staring awe-struck at the cloud-scattered sky, the roaming power lines, the train crossing. All these mundane things that are extraordinary and scary to him.

I feared the second half lagged a tiny bit on my first view, but it didn't this time. It was much stronger, especially knowing the ending. I mentioned how much I loved the little things about Room that may not be obvious (like not forcing her father to have this big scene of acceptance of Jack). To add to that, I loved when Joy is saying she wasn't a good enough "ma" to Jack, he just simply states "But you're Ma".

I could really go on and on and on about Room, but I'd bore myself even. I just haven't felt something like this in a while. Easily going to end up being one of my favorite movies.

Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:44 pm
The Kramer

Pretty good. I never got completely hooked in like the rest of you, but I can appreciate why this movie is beloved. Brie deserves her oscar. Although one could argue that she is actually in a supporting role here...

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:45 pm
Wallflower

Even better on repeat viewings. I've seen it 4 times now. Would give it an A+ now rather than "just" an A.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:03 am
New Server, Same X

Magic Mike wrote:
Even better on repeat viewings. I've seen it 4 times now. Would give it an A+ now rather than "just" an A.

I really can't wait to watch this again. So many things I want to watch, but I think I'd rather sit with Room for two hours.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:17 am
Hold the door!

Really great movie. the first half is truly amazing. The second half is still good, but feels like more traditional Oscar bait. But I was literally crying tears of joy when the twio escaped from the shed. A movie hasn't made me cry in so long, it certainly gets extra points for that. It's just a very thrilling. well acted and intriguing genre. It would be perfect if it was able to sustain momentum throughout the whole runtime and had more rewatch value.

A-

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:34 am
now we know

This is a very unique film. It is deeply emotional, and psychologically expansive. Just pondering the effects of such an ordeal and differences between one that knows and one that doesn't, the mind boggles. Room has had the most profound effect on me of any film I've seen in a while. Joan Allen is fantastic. Jacob Tremblay doesn't put a foot wrong. Such measured performance for a young lad. And then there's Brie Larson. That's why she won Best Actress. I don't think she'll ever come across another script like this, so she's very lucky. Everything else I've seen her in, she blends into the scenery. But in Room she is the lifeblood which pulsates so engagingly.

I kept waiting for some last-minute key change re: Old Nick, but it never came, and that was pleasing. We don't need to know. We can assume what happens. You don't get film-making like that much anymore.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:47 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I'm glad you loved it. This is a favorite for sure. Check out Brie in Short Term 12 though. Another great film and great performance.

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:26 pm
Keeping it Light

I didn't take the time to review this when I saw it a year and a half ago on a flight. It's a great film anyway.

A-

Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next