Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Paddington 

What grade would you give this film?
A 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
B 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Paddington 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Paddington
Paddington

Quote:
Paddington is a 2014 comedy film, directed by Paul King and written by King and Hamish McColl and produced by David Heyman. The film is based on Paddington Bear by Michael Bond who receives an appearance credit in the movie as the Kindly Gentleman. The film stars Hugh Bonneville, Sally Hawkins, Julie Walters, Jim Broadbent, Peter Capaldi and Nicole Kidman, with Ben Whishaw as the voice of Paddington. The film was released in the UK on 28 November 2014, and is expected to be released in the US on 16 January 2015.

Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:37 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Post Re: Paddington
This is getting much better reviews than I expected.

Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:54 pm
Forum General

This was a delightful little family treat. It was wonderfully paces and had two great performances from Sally Hawkins and Nicole Kidman, who was so much fun here. Ben Whishaw also does a great job at leading his voice to the hysterically adorable bear. Paddington is a very funny, sharply directed film that everyone can enjoy. I definitely recommend it.

B+

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

This was, perhaps, the most surprising film I've seen in years. I honestly don't think the film could have been any better.

It's perfectly paced, nicely directed, and cleverly written. It has a lot of heart, and provides many genuine, refreshing fun moments throughout. The entire cast give ace performances. And even the score is quite good.

I can't think of any aspect of the film that wasn't great. A

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I loved this too. It was adorable and heartfelt, and actually pretty creative on a visual level. Sally Hawkins and Nicole Kidman were both excellent. A-

Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:18 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

Loved this! So charming, humorous, and visually very pleasing. So much better than trailers made it look. A wonderful family movie.

A-

Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:02 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

In ways its the perfect example of a family film. I was never bored with it and I'll probably buy it right when it comes out on Blu-Ray.

Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Absolutely delightful British-made, animated-live action, children's film. Paddington is adorable, the performances are cute and aptly comical, and the production design is just magical; from the jungle community of Peru to the magic of London. Its greatest triumph is its pace. It's a short 80-minute feature, which made the laugh-a-minute style of comedy work very well. It's largely targeted at a younger audience, but there are slight references to older subjects, and adults will just enjoy the joviality and fun of it all. The performances are wonderful and deliciously British; Hugh Bonneville as the risk-assessment dad is particularly amusing. Ben Whishaw as the voice of Paddington is a nice choice, however it took me a while to shake off the Whishaw in my mind's eye when he spoke. Julie Walters, Jim Broadbent, and a great cameo by Matt Lucas round out a nice and respected cast. Nicole Kidman was also superb as the villainess, but sadly underutilised. The film is great at cutting to other things (such as the b/w older footage or the "orphanage" titles). The start of the movie (in fact, the whole first half) is just a blast. Oh, and the animation was utterly gorgeous. I've probably not seen better. It was crisp and bright, and just lovely to look at.

A-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:13 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

This movie kinda really rules. Straight A.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:09 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

This movie, while certainly not deserving of its 98% at Rt, is nonetheless charming and a step above your average kidflick. First of all, the production design is amazing and I'm shocked there was no Oscar nomination. The special effects on the bears we're just real looking enough to still be cute. The film's story isn't quite as strong, but it is heartfelt nonetheless. The whole film has a Christmasy feel to it; London really seems like a lovely place. I was confused why the bears from Peru had British accents, but that is a minor complaint.

A-

Wed May 20, 2015 7:49 am
Keeping it Light

I saw this a few months ago, so I'm not able to write a detailed review for it now. But this was the average kid-flick for me. It's kind of cute and charming this little bear, but I don't think it's either funny or do I get a feel for any of the characters. As far as family films go I prefer any Night at the Museum. (C)

Wed May 20, 2015 1:16 pm
Superman: The Movie

Loved every goddamn second. Wonderfully inventive, great set pieces, and just fucking adorable.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:31 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

This film is everything the likes of Alvin, Scooby Doo or Night at the Museum are not.

Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:46 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]