Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 

What grade would you give this film?
A 74%  74%  [ 39 ]
B 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 53

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 
All Star Poster

I think Lacuna might contact your family/friends and let them know you are doing it so they don't "spoil" it for you. Didn't the friends of Joel have something saying that Clementine erased him and they weren't supposed to say anything to him?

I might have missed that (i was folding clothes during the first part of the movie).. That would make a lot more sense if that happens :)

Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:23 am
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Just saw this for the first time, its an incredible film, and the performaces are awsome

one of the best romcoms ever

A

Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:25 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie. Just saw it again for the first time in a while. It's heartbreaking and real. It has so much commentary on relationships, destiny, and memories. A+ really one of my all time favorite movies.

Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:04 am
Forum General

It was on HBO the other night, and I caught the end of it. God I love this movie. Could be a candidate for my all-time favorite.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:19 am
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

This really crows on you. First you really liked it. Then I loved it. Now....it's just in some realm that not too many films can even see, let alone touch or achieve.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:36 am
Devil's Advocate

It's definitley pushing on my top 10 of all time.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:25 pm
We had our time together

I'm so glad I gave it a second (and third) chance back then. Easily in my top 5 of all time now and one of my most watched movies too. Just brilliant. I may be watching it tonight again, just from looking at this thread I get in the mood to see it.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

I'll echo these sentiments and say that it completely grows on you over time. It might be pushing my all-time top 10.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:35 pm
Profile YIM
loyalfromlondon

Wow, what a film. Combining the narrative complexity of a Nolan film, the visual inventiveness of a Burton film, and the pure heart of a Spielberg film, it manages to reconcile all three concepts and become a truly magical film. As with most great films, I didn't fully appreciate it the first time I watched it, but a second viewing simply blew me away and now it's one of my favourite films. You could watch this film a hundred times and still find things to admire about it. The script is one of the most original and probably one of the best of all-time. Kate Winslet is terrific, but it's Carrey's reserved and nuanced performance that drives the film. The supporting cast are all very much supporting, but they're still great characters brought to life with equally great performances. Visually, the film is astonishing not for an overabundance of money shots, but for the subtlety and uniqueness of the effects present within it. And the love story feels true and genuine while still remaining romantic. All in all, one of the most innovative and wondrous films of our time.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:33 pm
ef star star kay

It was such a surprise. I wasn't expecting to like it, actually. You know, 'written by Charlie Kaufman' didn't excite me much (I always thought 'Being John Malkovich' is weird.. too weird).

But this movie was just such a heartfelt.

I actually cried at the the end..

Joel: I can't see anything that I don't like about you.
Clementine: But you will! But you will. You know, you will think of things. And I'll get bored with you and feel trapped because that's what happens with me.
Joel: Okay.
Clementine: Okay.

I was once there!

A+

(and this was my last A+, I don't give anything A+ again after this movie.. -ps. I saw this after Million Dollar Baby which was also 2004's film, and A+ from too-)

Last edited by JURiNG on Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:19 pm
ef star star kay

I'm still chuckling at Loyal's justification of ESOTSM over in this Cinemania thread:

loyalfromlondon wrote:
Eternal Sunshine is great. But much of its greatness lies in your own past relationships and how you view them.

I happen to relate to Joel and Clementine.

:happy:

I think he's quite right..

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:23 pm
We had our time together

Saw it yesterday again and if I wouldn't love Forrest Gump so much, I think this would be my all-time favorite.

Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

bradley witherberry wrote:
I'm still chuckling at Loyal's justification of ESOTSM over in this Cinemania thread:

loyalfromlondon wrote:
Eternal Sunshine is great. But much of its greatness lies in your own past relationships and how you view them.

I happen to relate to Joel and Clementine.

:happy:

I think he's quite right..

What is the next logical conclusion of loyal's line of reasoning?

Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:45 pm

Post Re: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Pretty much what the rest say, not top 5 of all time by any means, but one of the best of the decade certainly. I'd like to tip the hat to the magnificient direction which pulled the bizarre and hard to follow, yet still wonderful screenplay together. And of course, all actors were good, I was most impressed with Kirsten Dunst, she didn't annoy me once!

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:57 pm
No Wire Tampons!

Highly over-rated in every department. Only Winslet really does anything great here.

B-/C+

Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:49 pm
Profile WWW

Carrey was great, down to earth and thoroughly realistic. The opposite of most performances he's done.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:54 am
Quality is a great business plan

A

Loved it. It could have been 10-15min shorter but its emotionally powerful and performances were top notch.

I used to be shawman.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:07 pm
Ocarina of Time

Definetely an A ,,,pretty good film, hoping we can get more movies like this nowadays

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:00 pm
Sbil

Ugh, this movie. So wonderful, and it's aged really well too. I saw Seeking a Friend for the End of the World today and it felt like it was trying to capture some of the tone/spirit of Eternal Sunshine (without nearly the same level of success).

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:44 pm
New Server, Same X

Post Re:
trixster wrote:
Wow, what a film. Combining the narrative complexity of a Nolan film, the visual inventiveness of a Burton film, and the pure heart of a Spielberg film, it manages to reconcile all three concepts and become a truly magical film. As with most great films, I didn't fully appreciate it the first time I watched it, but a second viewing simply blew me away and now it's one of my favourite films. You could watch this film a hundred times and still find things to admire about it. The script is one of the most original and probably one of the best of all-time. Kate Winslet is terrific, but it's Carrey's reserved and nuanced performance that drives the film. The supporting cast are all very much supporting, but they're still great characters brought to life with equally great performances. Visually, the film is astonishing not for an overabundance of money shots, but for the subtlety and uniqueness of the effects present within it. And the love story feels true and genuine while still remaining romantic. All in all, one of the most innovative and wondrous films of our time.

Wow, I've never seen you gush over a film. Granted, this was over five years ago now, but still.

I re-watched this yesterday for the first time since I think 2005 and it was like re-discovering it all over again.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:27 am
loyalfromlondon

I gush over films all the time. It's just more fun to tear them apart.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3