Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Big Hero 6 

What grade would you give this film?
A 56%  56%  [ 9 ]
B 31%  31%  [ 5 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 16

Big Hero 6 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Big Hero 6
Big Hero 6

Quote:
Big Hero 6 is a 2014 American 3D computer-animated superhero-comedy film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. Inspired by the Marvel Comics superhero team of the same name, the film is directed by Don Hall and Chris Williams, and is the 54th animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series. Big Hero 6 is the first Disney animated film to feature Marvel Comics characters, whose parent company was acquired by The Walt Disney Company in 2009.

The film premiered at the Tokyo International Film Festival on October 23, 2014 and at the Abu Dhabi Film Festival in 3D on October 31, 2014. It will be theatrically released in the United States on November 7, 2014.

Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Big Hero 6
more like big hero sux

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:56 pm
New Server, Same X

big zero 6

Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:05 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

b1g hero 6

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:08 pm
Extraordinary

The first half is top notch. Second half not so much, feels very abrupt. It's a good film with beautiful animation but it's a little underwhelming in the end, a sequel would probably be better. I enjoyed all the characters in the 6 (maybe Hiro not so much) but the action scenes kinda lacked something with all of them.
Spoiler: show
Not sure what to make of the Stan Lee thing after the credits... I just thought k

Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:44 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Maybe slightly disappointed here since expectations were really high, so let's get my issues here out of the way first:

I felt the film was lacking just a bit on character development. Hiro, Tadashi, and Baymax are all explored suitably, but their classmates needed some work. They're all interesting enough as characters on their own, but their interactions with Hiro after Tadashi's death is faulty. I wasn't feeling their relationships with one another too well, either, and this also hurts during the action sequences at the quarantined island lab and in San Fransokyo.

And the score is mostly background noise, unfortunately. Henry Jackson isn't a great composer by any means, but a lot of his past work is noticeably better than on this film. A film's score is the second most important element for me (after character development), and if it doesn't go along well with what's on screen, it can really take me out of the experience all together. A film score should be able to tell its own story without the visual aid. "First Flight" is nice with its triumphant tone; and "I Am Satisfied With My Care" has its moments, but these two tracks are really the only ones that effectively compliment the scenes they're used over and are able to tell the film's story by themselves.

Alright, now the good stuff:

The animation and visuals are great, and the film provided several scenes to display them. The city environment is gorgeous when Hiro is chasing after Baymax, as he tracks the micro-bots to the abandoned warehouse. There's a lot going on during this sequence, but paying attention to the surrounding environment rather than Hiro and Baymax here is a nice showcase of the visuals. The other big scene showcasing the visuals is the "First Flight" scene. During this scene, you get to see the city straight on or overhead, displaying some great animation while Hiro and Baymax act as tour guides.

Hiro and Baymax's relationship is convincing, and without it, the film wouldn't be particularly good. At first Hiro just shows slight interest in his brother's creation, then sees the potential to use him as a weapon/means for revenge, and finally views him as the companion his brother intended. And you get the sense that Hiro and Tadashi also shared a close relationship, with Baymax serving as a way to further their bond.

The comedy elements in the film are also pretty sharp and provide their fair share of genuine funny moments. All of the low batteries scenes with Baymax were great, as was the ongoing first bump moments which eventually turned heartfelt in the end. And Fred, who's character I'd normally dislike in most films, was actually okay. Although his underwear bit was...eh. Thankfully, Disney is still avoiding silly Madagascar or Minion level jokes or gags to add more humor to their films.

The first half of the film is pretty brilliant, but the second half is where the flaws prevent this one from being ranked among some of Disney's past classics. The film is still very enjoyable, though, and the positives more than make up for the negatives. B+

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

The film was wonderful, if notably flawed. Like literally, if they had ironed out a few kinks, it could have been another Incredibles. I really liked the world of San Fransokyo and the main characters. The relationship between Hiro and Tadashi was very well done, even though Tadashi's death was very rushed. I really liked Baymax. He was gut-bustingly hilarious, more so than Olaf or any character in a Disney movie since the Genie from Aladdin. The villain was cool until his reveal, which I did not like. I liked the team, especially Honey Lemon, she was hilarious. The action was good and I thought all the stuff with the robots and
teleportation
were good. Maya Rudolph's Aunt Cass was also likable

The main issue with the film is its attitude about death. For some reason, Big Hero 6 is another Disney film where the parents are dead. This is really turning into self parody at this point, there was no reason for the parents to be dead. Also, I disliked how
the deaths of Baymax and Callaghan's daughter were handled. Callaghan's daughter was lost when she went through a portal to another dimension, so it makes sense that she would still be in that dimension. Instead of teaching kids that the dead can come back to life, they should have just made it known that she was alive. Also Baymax did not need to die at the end. It was just for emotional manipulation. But then they went and brought him back to life, which is a totally realistic message to be sending.

I also disliked the
third act villain reveal.
This also came across as Disney parodying itself.ever
What happened to The Evil Queen, Ursula, Frollo and Scar? When you don't reveal the villain until the third act, it makes the villain not memorable as they have not been established. Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one who saw it coming, as thee only people I thought it could possibly be were Krei or Callaghan, but Krei would have been far too obvious.

Krei and Callaghan were also underdeveloped.

Overall, I liked the film and it would have been perfect with a few tweaks. The audience however seemed to love the entire film. There was audible laughter throughout and there was loud applause at the end. 9/10

PS- Feast was a fantastic short. Far superior to Get a Horse and Paperman IMO. Was a very interesting concept and the dog was so cute.

Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:40 pm
Ocarina of Time

So, did you like more than Lego?

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:22 am
Hold the door!

Less than Lego, more than HTTYD 2. It was close though. All three are great. This is definitely the best year for Animation since 2010.

Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:02 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Are people really going to complain about character deaths again in an animated film? "Did so-and-so really have to die?", "How could they do this in a children's film!?", etc.. Animated films have gotten much better over the past few years because filmmakers aren't catering exclusively to young children anymore. They're using more mature, realistic themes to provide better storytelling in these animated worlds. Of course, there are some exceptions that are still maintaining the substandard in animation, but as a whole, the medium has progressed considerably.

Baymax's "death" is important to show how Hiro's character has been cured of his depressed state of mind after his brother's death earlier in the film. Instead of giving up again after a lose, he puts his brilliance to better use by joining Tech School and spending more time with his friends. He has overcome his desolation by remembering his brother (instead of simply viewing him as "gone"), and from Baymax's care. And in doing so, he's able to rebuild Baymax and reunite with his robotic friend, who also shares an eternal bond with Tadashi.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Corpse wrote:
Are people really going to complain about character deaths again in an animated film? "Did so-and-so really have to die?", "How could they do this in a children's film!?", etc.. Animated films have gotten much better over the past few years because filmmakers aren't catering exclusively to young children anymore. They're using more mature, realistic themes to provide better storytelling in these animated worlds. Of course, there are some exceptions that are still maintaining the substandard in animation, but as a whole, the medium has progressed considerably.

Baymax's "death" is important to show how Hiro's character has been cured of his depressed state of mind after his brother's death earlier in the film. Instead of giving up again after a lose, he puts his brilliance to better use by joining Tech School and spending more time with his friends. He has overcome his desolation by remembering his brother (instead of simply viewing him as "gone"), and from Baymax's care. And in doing so, he's able to rebuild Baymax and reunite with his robotic friend, who also shares an eternal bond with Tadashi.

Its not bad that they're dying. It is bad that Disney is using this as a plot device in all of their films. There are other character motivations than the death if a loved one.

Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:00 pm
Hold the door!

Magnus wrote:
It feels like this was more of just a set up for future films rather than being a great film on its own. I actually would greatly anticipate a sequel as I think now that the team has been established, they can do much more interesting stories.

Why would you expect a sequel to this if Disney isn't doing one for Frozen? And I disagree. What future stories did it set up?

Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:27 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Because it's a Marvel property so there is more story to go off of.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

No sequel to this would be lame. You have 6 pretty good characters that hardly get enough screen time (minus Baymax and Hiro) and doesn't even feel like a group in the film even though the title includes all 6 of them. And I doubt Disney will pass on $$$$ for Frozen 2 (have they said they'll never make one) but who knows.

I still stand by the first half being really funny and great set-up... but the second half doesn't live up to it.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:17 pm
Hold the door!

publicenemy#1 wrote:
No sequel to this would be lame. You have 6 pretty good characters that hardly get enough screen time (minus Baymax and Hiro) and doesn't even feel like a group in the film even though the title includes all 6 of them. And I doubt Disney will pass on $$$$ for Frozen 2 (have they said they'll never make one) but who knows.

I still stand by the first half being really funny and great set-up... but the second half doesn't live up to it.

Disney has said that they have no plans to make a Frozen 2 in the near future, but they have not ruled it out entirely. But Disney doesn't do sequels, and I doubt they'll make an exception for this film, which while doing okay at the box office, isn't burning it up as much as I think it would need to do for Disney to fast track a sequel.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:13 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Wreck-It Ralph 2 is supposedly in the works.

And considering how massive Frozen was, and still is (merchandise sales are insane), they'll make another one even if it's 10+ years from now.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Corpse wrote:
Wreck-It Ralph 2 is supposedly in the works.

And considering how massive Frozen was, and still is (merchandise sales are insane), they'll make another one even if it's 10+ years from now.

Not confirmed about Wreck It Ralph I don't think. Unless it was? I don't remember.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:01 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

It's a weird one. The director and composer have more or less confirmed it without it being officially announced by anyone. Seems like they're maybe waiting until it's 100% a sure thing before officially announcing it.

Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

idk if I'd say Big Hero 6 is better than Wreck It Ralph but I definitely would like a Big Hero 6 sequel more.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:06 am
Hold the door!

I'd definitely say it was better than Wreck-It Ralph.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:32 am
Forum General

Wreck It Ralph and Lego Movie and Dragon 2 and Frozen were better than Big Hero Six.

My problems with this film stem from the fact that it is entirely predictable, plays so safe and is rather generic.

You knew Tadashi would die and you were waiting for his death, which came rather lamely. The Krei bait and switch to Callaghan was obvious from the moment Tadashi went in to save the professor. So, really, the entire film is known immediately. Maybe comic book fans like this kind of non-plot. But, with the set of characters and a beautiful world and environment, a more talented and ambitious director could have really made a stamp on what a comic book movie is or can be. After all, this is animation. They can do anything. But it never even comes close to what the Incredibles achieved 10 years ago.

There are a lot of positives. Hiro and Baymax relationship, Hiro and Tadashi, the characters of the six, the humour...but I feel it would've been better if it focused more on being a movie rather than a superhero movie. So, a character study on Hiro Hamada and his life in San Fransyoko, the relationship with his aunt and brother, what the university does, the character of the other four in the group and meanwhile build up some threat in the subtext, not the most boring generic mentor turned villain plot point. Seriously superhero films have absolutely the exact same non-threat, non-villains in every fucking film. It's so damn boring. It seems like I am the only one tired of seeing the same exact thing unfold on screen.

This could have been great but the screenwriter and director failed the concept. Perhaps, Disney itself. After all, they are Disney, they have to play in their playground and stay within it at all times.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

The scene with the multiple TV screens and the playback was beyond horrendous. What terrible writing. The whole web, the actual plot of the film, is pretty fucking shit. Also, the villain just goes around without anyone noticing or commenting about the metabots or whatever they are called. There's a fucking car chase across the city and no one is on the streets, no one notices...at the end, no one is in the building...so convenient, if you can't do death because you're a PG Disney movie, then don't have a fucking climatic sequence where logically, there is only death. Callaghan was a terrible character anyhow and Krei a caricature.

But we have another 200 superhero films coming in the next 4-5 years. Whoop-dee-do.

Madagascar 3 Under 100m

Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

wreck-it ralph > big hero 6 > frozen

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:49 pm
Hold the door!

Frozen>Big Hero 6> Wreck It Ralph.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:23 pm
Forum General

Magnus wrote:
Wreck it Ralph is way better than BH6. Though like PE1, I actually prefer to see a BH6 sequel cause I felt WIR was fairly self-contained. BH6 is basically just a set-up for a franchise.

This I agree with.

BH6's underdevelopment of GoGo, Wasabi, Honey Lemon and Fred plus the team chemistry makes it more setup for something truly great. Ralph is already great and self-contained and thus needs no more, kind of like Monsters Inc, but they went ahead with something extraneous.

Honestly Fred is given such a terrible reason as to why he's even in the labs and is entertained. There's no reason his character would be there, invited there and given a space. That's lazy character development. If anything, he should have been Tadashi's best friend who maybe hangs out at the cafe a lot. Honey Lemon should have been Tadashi's girlfriend. Both instantly are given much more character depth and places to go with. Furthermore, we are to believe that only these four, and really three, since Fred doesn't invent or do anything, are the ones that end up in the team when we see a lot more people in the lab. The bonding should be Wasabi and GoGo are part of a bigger project with Tadashi and Honey, which would be how the group bonds/forms/meets. Given that they didn't want to have any romantic angle, this fits perfectly since Hiro is too young, Honey is Tadashi's ex and GoGo is more self-driven.

Madagascar 3 Under 100m

Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next