Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 It Follows 

What grade would you give this film?
A 53%  53%  [ 9 ]
B 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
C 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

It Follows 
The Incredible Hulk

Post Re: It Follows
Also there are two cars that are driven. first in the Nissian Versa (looks like a 12-15 model) at the begging that she drives to the beach, second is the Malibu the main girl drives (01-05) model.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:03 pm
Wallflower

Magnus wrote:
a question tnat did bother me though is the time setting of the movie. It definitely isn't set in modern day...right? Or does it not even matter beausse the whole film is supposed to be "surreal" and thus not confined to a specific time but a mixture of different times?

If anything, this bothered/disturbed me more than anything else in the film. I just really wanted to place a time period to it but couldn't.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:42 pm
Extraordinary

IT FOLLOWS

I have been waiting to watch this film ever since I heard about via amctheatres movie news channel. Then Dr. Lecter brought it up in a thread to further get me interested. Well, it didn't satisfy me and it was not because of high expectations. I just had general expectation and was hoping for scares and a good story. The film has a wonderful premise of this unbelievable curse or demon being of something that follows you and if it gets you you will die but it only walks is the genius thing about. Plus that it can be anyone at any time. The lead actress I like because she was also in the Guest and I liked the Paul character as well. The film really had some great intense moments involving the demon. This kind of reminded me of the Entity whenever you heard the sound change though this lacked that type of hook. I have two problems with the film for me. One, the thing can't be beat. You can't kill it, you can't stop it. It's simply unbeatable and that's terrible. Second, the end was something I hate and that's unresolved films. It ends but there's no conclusion to it. Either I would have preferred seeing her die or them beat it somehow. Plus it was abrupt. Also, the music brought back that 70s/80s vibe and I liked that but it could be very heavy handed at times almost distracting. Well that's that. I thought it was a great premise but they stuck with an unbeatable thing and a terrible ending.

Grade - C

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:25 pm
Extraordinary

David wrote:

Oh, and a lot of people seem to assume Jay did not sleep with the dudes on the boat, but my mind went in another direction. She did, but the evil rapidly caught them and returned to her. I do not interpret the ambiguous cut-away as conclusive proof she could not bring herself to do it.

That's what I thought she did too but those people are gonna die so fast because she isn't gonna tell them what they got from her so it really defeats the purpose to pass it and not tell the other party.

#MAGA #KAG!

Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:35 pm
Forum General

nghtvsn wrote:
David wrote:

Oh, and a lot of people seem to assume Jay did not sleep with the dudes on the boat, but my mind went in another direction. She did, but the evil rapidly caught them and returned to her. I do not interpret the ambiguous cut-away as conclusive proof she could not bring herself to do it.

That's what I thought she did too but those people are gonna die so fast because she isn't gonna tell them what they got from her so it really defeats the purpose to pass it and not tell the other party.

She flat our says a few scenes later that she can't pass the curse onto anyone else after someone died. She did not sleep with the guys on the boat.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

She'd rather doom Paul instead I guess.

#MAGA #KAG!

Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:13 pm
Pure Phase

The boat scene is ambiguous. Anyone saying they know for sure how it went is foolish. What she says or what you feel the cut-away implies does not constitute an actual answer.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:21 pm
You must have big rats

nghtvsn wrote:
I have two problems with the film for me. One, the thing can't be beat. You can't kill it, you can't stop it. It's simply unbeatable and that's terrible. Second, the end was something I hate and that's unresolved films.

And that's why horror that caters to mainstream is mostly shit shit shit.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:13 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

David wrote:
The boat scene is ambiguous. Anyone saying they know for sure how it went is foolish. What she says or what you feel the cut-away implies does not constitute an actual answer.

It's not though. :P She straight up says she won't pass the curse off again.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:23 am
Profile YIM WWW
The Kramer

Magnus wrote:
Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I disagree with this. I think its because of the impact that we want to keep talking about it and figure out if there was anything we missed.

I only keep talking because of the extreme difference in opinion in whether its scary or not. Its just like #thedress.
Eh, I think people are scared by different things. HIV has always been something I've been paranoid about, so it makes sense that an allegory like this would leave me so unsettled.

I mean, compared to modern video games this was nothing. I've been more scared playing Bloodborne than I was during the movie. But that disturbed feeling goes away when I turn off the system, while the horrific images of It Follows are now burned into my mind.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:29 pm
You must have big rats

Magnus wrote:
nghtvsn wrote:
She'd rather doom Paul instead I guess.

Paul wanted it because he was tryna break the zone. He's a true hero.

Besides, Maika Monroe is so freakin' hot, you can't blame him.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Magnus wrote:
Paul easily made the Friend Zone Hall of Fame, joining the likes of Ron Weasley and Kevin Arnold. Very few manage to break the zone with such a smokeshow.

Frankly, without Paul breaking the zone, I probably would have liked this film considerably less.

omg the neckbeard loser vibes emanating from this post are almost too much to bear

Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:11 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Yeah this film is fantastic. I'm still haunted by it, the score is fantastic, the cast is great, just a really great horror film.

Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

jmovies wrote:
Yeah this film is fantastic. I'm still haunted by it, the score is fantastic, the cast is great, just a really great horror film.

:thumbsup:

I wonder when was the last time a review thread for a horror film got to four pages on WOKJ...

Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Maybe Cabin?

Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:46 am
The Kramer

So I've decided that she did not give the curse to the guys on the boat. If she did she would be a shitty person like Hugh. Giving it to Gregg and Paul is at least justified, as they were being chivalrous gentlemen trying to protect her. By getting laid. #highfive

Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:41 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

It wasn't really scary, just well-crafted atmospherically and suspenseful throughout and that's perfectly okay and welcomed. It was certainly better than most of what's classified as horror films lately. B.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Eh! this was way overhyped IMO. It's still a solid suspense/thriller with decent performances, but nothing got to me more than that shot of the dead girl on the beach with the fucked up legs. That whole opening scene was really well done and creepy, but the rest never actually scared me and I was surprised at how build up their was with no payoff. The old school Carpenterish soundtrack/score might honestly be my favorite part of the movie.

Thu May 07, 2015 1:03 am
now we know

I had been waiting for a good time to watch It Follows, and I chose tonight to finally get around to it. It is a superb film. It is scary, but not in the sense that I am petrified to leave the room. There is a strong feeling of real terror and dread while watching, that I did not get from other films in the genre. Not only is it scary, the cinematography is right on the money. Obviously its 80s synth score is very, very, very appealing to me, but some of the shots also felt very retro, like out of a 70s horror movie, which made me even happier. Maika Monroe is absolutely drop dead fucking gorgeous, and she turns in a near-perfect performance too.

I suppose if I was being picky I would say that they should have used the lurch character more often (though his introduction is awesomely haunting), and perhaps the CGI'd little boy wasn't the best decision. Oh, and the final follower in the swimming pool just isn't scary in the slightest. I also cannot help thinking there's a sort of Christian sub-text/hidden meaning that underage sex should be punished. But it doesn't matter too much; It Follows is a well-designed, perfectly-executed, modern-day horror. I'm glad I saw it.

A-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Good, but it's the most overrated film of the year.

What I Liked

The tension
The creepiness
The actors
The visual style - The 360 in the high school is fantastic)
Dark sense of humor - "It" committing incest.

What I Didn't Like

The score - I like 80s synth, but outside of the main theme, I think the score is actually a detriment to the movie as it calls attention to itself way too often.

Originality - I keep hearing this is one of the most original horror films ever made. I guess...if you've never seen a John Carpenter film. This film owes EVERYTHING to Halloween and The Thing. Oh, and The Ring.

Speaking of - It's so retro that the main conceit is that sex is bad ("It" standing in for an STD to even sexual abuse). I thought we moved past that.

It's not scary - Scary and creepy are two different things. This will not do to sex what Jaws did to sharks. Then again, it's not the greatest comparison because there is no "It" in real life. And if you were actually freaked out after the film to the point where you thought you were being followed, seek help.

--

If I didn't know anything about the hype going in, I might have had a more favorable reaction to the film. As it is now, I liked the film just fine as the good aspects ultimately outweigh my problems with the film. This is not the new face of horror, this is not an instant classic, it's just good, which is better than most films in the horror genre, especially recent horror films.

The hype machine (96%...really?) strikes again!

*** (B)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:00 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
I suppose if I was being picky I would say that they should have used the lurch character more often (though his introduction is awesomely haunting), and perhaps the CGI'd little boy wasn't the best decision. Oh, and the final follower in the swimming pool just isn't scary in the slightest. I also cannot help thinking there's a sort of Christian sub-text/hidden meaning that underage sex should be punished. But it doesn't matter too much; It Follows is a well-designed, perfectly-executed, modern-day horror. I'm glad I saw it.

The final follower in the pool takes the image of her father, so I can see why people thought that was scary...if they recognized it was him. In my opinion the film does a piss poor job of setting up her father (I get that adults are supposed to be practically non-existent in this world for these teens) that by the time he shows up at the end I thought it was just some guy in his underwear. That's what she found so horrific that she couldn't tell her sister? Outside of a couple photos of the family together (and I'm sure there was a line I must've missed), we never see her dad. I think it's because he's dead? I think that could've been dealt with a little less subtly. Then it would've really had an impact (at least for me).

I only found out it was her dad after I saw the film while listening to a review.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Ah ok. I also didn't notice that.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Just rewatched this. Looks even better on Blu-Ray.

It's also still by far the best film of the year.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

By now Doctor Who and Supernatural blatantly copied It Follows premise for one of their episodes. I do wonder if any other show did it. And isn't it weird to copy a recent movie that's most likely to already be popular with those two fan bases already???

Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:13 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

First 50 minutes = awesome. Second 50 minutes = stupid. Total = *C*

Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next