Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Sorority Row 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
B 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

Sorority Row 
Extraordinary

Post Sorority Row
Sorority Row

Quote:
Sorority Row is a 2009 American slasher film. Directed by Stewart Hendler, the film stars Briana Evigan, Leah Pipes, Rumer Willis, Jamie Chung, Margo Harshman, Audrina Patridge, and Carrie Fisher. Produced by Summit Entertainment and written by Josh Stolberg and Pete Goldfinger. The film is a re-imagining of the 1983 slasher film The House on Sorority Row. It was Nominated for two Teen Choice Awards for Choice of Movie Actress in a Horror/Thriller film for Audrina Patridge and Rumer Willis.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:01 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Post Re: Sorority Row
Entertaining slasher film complete with mostly annoying people dying sometimes obscenely gory deaths, gratuitous female nudity, and Carrie Fisher handling a shotgun like the badass mo-fo that she is.

Grade - B+

Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:03 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Every girl on that poster looks hilariously indistinct from the rest.

I briefly thought it was a horror riff on Multiplicity.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:38 pm
Extraordinary

I had a blast with it. The whodunit doesn't really work - I had it down to two people by maybe the fifteen minute mark - and the ending's a little lame, but it's entertaining and surprisingly funny. It's the first slasher film since My Bloody Valentine to give me characters I liked.

B

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:01 am
You must have big rats

The Dark Shape wrote:
It's the first slasher film since My Bloody Valentine to give me characters I liked.

B

Hmm, how many slashers have there been between My Bloody Valentine and this? Friday the 13th, Halloween II and...? ;)

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:16 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Dr. Lecter wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
It's the first slasher film since My Bloody Valentine to give me characters I liked.

B

Hmm, how many slashers have there been between My Bloody Valentine and this? Friday the 13th, Halloween II and...? ;)

Final Destination's a slasher, you just don't see the killer. But let me rephrase: it's the first horror film since The Last House on the Left with characters I liked. Better?

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:22 am
You must have big rats

Heh, yeah.

You didn't like the characters in Drag Me to Hell?

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:24 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Not particularly. I certainly liked the movie, but Christina's ultimate fate didn't matter much to me.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:27 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

After a prank goes horribly wrong, five sorority sisters try and avoid death and it is competely shitty the entire way through. This film wasn't a horror flick, it was a comedy. Most of everything that was going to happen could be figured out before it happened. Some of the deaths are done so stupidly that it causes non-stop laughter. The story is very poor and the usual for a stupid horror flick. All the acting is horrible and you really only care for maybe one or two of the actresses while everyone else deserved their horrible death. There is one particular line that is so completely terrible that it brings comedic gold to a movie that tries to take itself seriously.

Evigan: "Hey look it's Megan!"
Pipes: "Oh my god, she looks terrible!"

This film deserves to bomb and rot as it is the worst film that I've seen so far this year. Rot in hell bitches. No stars

Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

jmovies wrote:
After a prank goes horribly wrong, five sorority sisters try and avoid death and it is competely shitty the entire way through. This film wasn't a horror flick, it was a comedy. Most of everything that was going to happen could be figured out before it happened. Some of the deaths are done so stupidly that it causes non-stop laughter. The story is very poor and the usual for a stupid horror flick. All the acting is horrible and you really only care for maybe one or two of the actresses while everyone else deserved their horrible death. There is one particular line that is so completely terrible that it brings comedic gold to a movie that tries to take itself seriously.

Evigan: "Hey look it's Megan!"
Pipes: "Oh my god, she looks terrible!"

This film deserves to bomb and rot as it is the worst film that I've seen so far this year. Rot in hell bitches. No stars

Maybe you missed something, but it's a horror/comedy. Those "unintentional laughs" aren't unintentional.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:51 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

The horror parts were pure comedy as well. It wasn't scary at all.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

It was fun and Carrie Fisher kicking ass was awesome but I didn't care about a single person in the entire movie.

6/10 (B-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

jmovies wrote:
The horror parts were pure comedy as well. It wasn't scary at all.

No, it wasn't. But if I judged horror movies - and this one very loosely matches that claim anyway - based on how scary they were, 99% of the output would be an epic fail.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:23 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

So Ummm I quite enjoyed this film.

The mix of gore and comedy which as dark shape rightly points out is completely intentional make for a lean 90 minute trip through the college fantasy life.

The kills themselfs are all highly satisfying and pretty inventive at points, I'll not be drinking alcohol while laying down in future I can tell you that. And to be a boring film student the whole thing was helmed with flair.

I watched it with Trixster and he called it a Scream clone with some of the meta aspects taken out and thats pretty spot on in my eyes.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:45 pm
loyalfromlondon

It's a Scream clone, but not in the way that something like I Know What You Did Last Summer or the other slashers of that time were; it's mostly the meshing of horror and comedy, in a less overt way than something like Drag Me to Hell, that I thought echoed the tone of the original Scream.

I liked this. It's nothing new, but it's funny and inventive and keeps you guessing. Plus it shows a deep love for the genre, which is always a plus.

Not great, but certainly solid.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:50 pm
College Boy Z

I'm a fan. I actually expected it to be really bad and just kinda wanted to see it just because, so that might have helped, but it was surprisingly fun. Most of the kills were shockingly gruesome. And 90 minutes of hotties is always good. The killer was 100% obvious once introduced.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:10 pm
Horror Hound

4/5.

I enjoyed this. I really do love Scream generation slasher movies. I liked the girls, Margo Harshman was hilarious with her bitchy one liners. Like "Who even faints anymore?" and "Oh god, she looks terrible" to an 8 month old corpse, hah!

The deaths were fantastic, especially the drink bottle, ouch. Soundtrack was suitable too.

I liked it alot.

Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:39 am
Wallflower

The Dark Shape wrote:

Umm, who did you even like in it? There were two characters tops that were remotely likeable. All of the others were horrible bitches who deserved everything they got. Even most of the guys are dicks you want to see die.

That being said, I did enjoy the flick. It was entertaining.

7/10 (B-)

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:13 am
Sbil

I watched 15 minutes of this on Cinemax and have to give the film props for actually making me chuckle (when the bitchy blonde girl is confronted with a long-dead corpse and gasps that the girl looks terrible).

Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:48 am
Forum General

Eh this is why I don't watch and don't like horror films.

There is no point to it. Apart from guessing the killer and seeing how they off each person, what else is the purpose of the film?

If you like that of course, good for you, but it feels like a waste of time for me. I value story, entertainment and rewatchability high and horrors fail at all three. Entertainment, maybe, but when most of it is about gore, well, that's just disgusting to watch. It's almost like a mystery thriller but those rely on actual stories and intelligent revelations. In this for example, the killer's motive was ridiculously stupid and unbelievable, and since there's nothing else to rate the movie on, my rating relies on the reveal/motive. The valedictorian waits 8 months to get rid of Theta Pi when graduation itself means that Cassidy will no longer be spending time in the sorority house and with those girls since she already drifted away from them? What? He said he's afraid that it might come back to bite her in the ass, well, if you remove the body, there's no more evidence is there? 8 months with rain and the elements also means that any evidence is long gone. But I guess the bar for being a valedictorian is low :roll: And of course we are supposed to believe that he can move the corpse without anyone noticing? How does one even get inside that well/mine shaft alone? Also, he's doing it for her, but when she turns on him, he must kill her? What was the motive again? Jesus.

So I went off to Wikipedia to read up on some random flicks; Last House on Sorority Row, My Bloody Valentine (both), Hitcher (both) and each of them was ridiculously stupid. A deformed secret son living in the house, a son seemingly impossibly watching the murder, a delusional beneficiary and worst of all, a random motiveless hitchhiker. Yeah, story-wise is an incredible fail, there is no entertainment factor at all and rewatchability? You've got to be joking.

I'll never understand why people like horror films, either than the scares, there is nothing redeemable in them and unlike all other genres, it has little to no point. I guess comedies are almost the same, but everyone likes to laugh and comedies do have a proper even if more often than not weak story underneath it. Horrors are there to scare you, but when the characters always are fucking poorly written doing the most idiotic and illogical actions in every situation, well, what's so scary about that? No one acts like that and I can't for the life of me reason why anyone would want to be scared for entertainment. It seems like a pointless endeavour. On RT, in the 2000s, and with over 50 reviews, 66-75% of all horrors were rotten and some that were fresh aren't even horror films or actually were written and produced with more integrity in mind a la Let Me In. I'm really trying to understand why I have almost zero interest in the genre and I think it does boil down to the story. Sorority Row, for example, has no character development and the plotpoints are basically the deaths, which is to say, the story behind any horror is just the motive. Nothing else that happens on screen has any point so something like the Hitcher, I would give it an F grade just reading about it. There is no motive. Some random guy kills people, repeat, lead escapes continuously until final showdown in which the leads kills the killer, obligatory final shot of "OMGLOLJK killer is not actually dead". But a motive has to be realistic and intelligent and a pluspoint for SR, related to the kills, most deaths are being stabbed through the mouth/throat symbolizing the shutting up of the incessantly gossipy characters, but most horror films are about "How can I kill this guy inventively?". Killing for the sake of killing.

So, it is my humble opinion, that the genre is the worst of all cinematic genres, it is pointless and worthless with no rewatchability or entertainment value and is generic and boring to the core.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
"Horror" is a pretty broad term. I feel like "slasher" is a better description of the kind of movie you don't like, as there are plenty of horror movies (such a wide net, really) with character, entertainment, story, rewatchability, and all the things that make a good movie.

What's any genre boiled down to one basic thought, though? (ie "killing for the sake of killing") I mean, any comedy pretty much boils down to "jokes for the sake of jokes," or "action for the sake of action" in the case of...well, action movies. It's not like serious, high-brow drama stuff is immune to this either as that could be reduced to just trying to make the viewer sad/somber.

It's all about the journey from start to finish, what feeling every movie is attempting to elicit with its ideas and particular motivations. Movie viewing is putting yourself in the position to experience certain emotions relayed to you through film/storytelling/whathaveyou and many people like to be scared--it's a fun, exciting ride. With horror there's a kind of primal nature to it, with the life or death situations packaged in a safe zone of movie watching. There's nothing innately lesser to "horror" than any other genre, it's just not for everybody.

Alien films (most of them, anyway), Dawn of the Dead, the Descent, Gremlins, Halloween, the Hills Have Eyes (moreso the 2006 one for me), the Last House on the Left movies, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Wes Craven's New Nightmare, One Hour Photo, the Ring, Scream movies, Seven, the Silence of the Lambs, Slither, the Thing, Trick'r Treat, Triangle, Sleepy Hollow, Splice, Severance, Let Me In & Let the Right One In, Ginger Snaps, From Dusk Till Dawn, and the Fly to name a few "horror" movies that aren't just killing for the sake of killing ; )

Sorority Row is absolutely a minimal effort necessary kind of movie, though--no argument there. Definitely just a paycheck effort--if you could even call it that--for all involved.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:39 am
New Server, Same X

I watched this today with zero expectations and was shocked at how much I enjoyed it. It's by no means a classic, but it's vastly superior to two comparable films: the remakes of Black Christmas and Prom Night.

The ending scenes (starting with the outro song) almost ruins the fun.

**1/2

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:52 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I forgot about this movie!

So, so stupid but a lot of fun aside from that. I loved Leah Pipes as the bitchy girl - "oh shit, the house is on fire!" :P

Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:29 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]