Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 The Skeleton Twins 

What grade would you give this film?
A 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

The Skeleton Twins 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Skeleton Twins
The Skeleton Twins

Quote:
The Skeleton Twins is an American comedy-drama film starring Kristen Wiig, Luke Wilson and Bill Hader, and is directed by Craig Johnson. The film premiered in competition at 2014 Sundance Film Festival on January 18, 2014. It won the Screenwriting Award: U.S. Dramatic at the festival.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Post Re: The Skeleton Twins
It's pretty wonderful. Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig, as dramatic actors, reveal that they are forces to be reckoned with. It should surprise no one that they have good chemistry, but these are two of the best performances of the year. The Skeleton Twins is by turns hilarious and heartbreaking, sometimes all at once. No easy feat. A-

Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:55 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was such a beautiful, well-done and touching movie. Both Kristen Wiig and especially Bill Hader go places I never thought them capable of before as actors and deliver two of the year's best and most heartfelt performances. Both are easily deserving of awards consideration. It helps that the two have sensational chemistry with one another and so much of their dialogue feels authentic and true. There are quite a few hilarious moments (the much-hyped lip synching scene is definitely a highlight, as well as a scene between the two at Wiig's workplace and several one-liners), but this is mostly a straightforward family drama about overcoming loss and depression. The script is fantastic and makes these two characters feel like real people - it's easy to care about and root for them despite their flaws. I loved Luke Wilson as well here - it's easily his best performance in years and he was incredibly likable. My one qualm was I thought the Ty Burrell subplot, while it had its moments, felt a little out of place - and I felt my interest waning during these segments despite its necessity to the development of the relationship between the two siblings. This is easily one of the year's best movies though and it should have great word of mouth among the arthouse crowd. A

Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:06 am
Profile YIM
Wall-E

I thought Ty Burell's character was out of place too, but mostly because he was the only supporting character who was complex and unsettling, as opposed to others which felt like plot devices or stock characters from the studio movies Wiig is adamant about staying away from.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

A beautiful movie that totally caught me off guard. Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader both make amazing turns here and they both should be in the Oscar discussion. They fleshed these two characters out so beautifully and you were rooting for both of them the entire time. Both of these people were incredibly flawed, yet so lovable and relatable. It touched on a lot of emotions I just wasn't expecting. I also really loved Luke Wilson here as well. It's pretty much a perfect movie and tonally I would compare it to something like Garden State, though this one is a little darker. There was a little moment near the end that kind of took me out of the movie for a split second but the movie was so wonderful that I'm able to look past it. Technically I probably should give it an A but fuck it, I loved this movie so much.

A+

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
---------

Pretty great. :) Bill Hader and Kristin Wiig were amazing as expected. I was not a fan of the ending though - the down-to-the-second suicide rescue and no return of Luke Wilson after he heard Wiig's landmine.

B+

Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:07 am
Forum General

I didn't mind Wiig's last suicide attempt because everything came full circle and as needed to reunite her and her brother. The issue I personally had with it was that he just knew she was going to kill herself at that very moment, in that very spot. I know it was supposed to show their bond as siblings but it was farfetched. That being said, I just went with it. It was about ten seconds in an otherwise excellent film.

Also, as much as I loved Luke Wilson (and his character) here, he wasn't really needed to come back after he left. Wiig said early in the movie that if he ever found out that it would crush him and it would be over and that is exactly what happened.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:47 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Very much enjoyed this! This is one of the few movies where I went in blind (haven't seen the trailer), was quite nice. Hader and Wiig are both terrific.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:05 am
Wallflower

LOVED this. A beautiful film. Very real, funny, and heartbreaking turns from Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader. They are both absolutely Oscar-worthy and it's sad they will probably go unrecognized by the Academy.

One of my favorites of the year.

9/10 (A)

Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:55 am
Pure Phase

Very, very charming and poignant. Even though it wrestles with such heavy issues as domestic dysfunction and suicide, it is also hands down one of the funniest films of the year. Both leads deliver stupendous performances. Bill Hader is particularly revelatory.

MGKC is not wrong, though.

It is a bit contrived her brother shows up to save her perfectly in the one- or two-minute space between her last gasp and her drowning, even though I am glad she did not die.

And I thought Luke Wilson's character deserved one more scene.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]