Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 I Origins 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

I Origins 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post I Origins
I Origins

Quote:
I Origins is a 2014 American science fiction film written, directed, and produced by Mike Cahill. The independent production premiered at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival on January 18, 2014. It is distributed by Fox Searchlight Pictures, and opened in limited release on July 18, 2014.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:47 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: I Origins
Mike Cahill, the writer and director of Another Earth, one of my favorite films of the decade so far, returns with another gem, I Origins. Both in his stories and his visuals, the auspicious Cahill specializes in imagining high concepts of enormous mystery and wonder and then revealing the impact on regular people's lives, loves, and routines. The result is an intoxicating blend of the cosmic and the intimate. Here, Michael Pitt portrays Ian, a molecular biologist and atheist with a particular interest in the eye and its evolutionary history. Set over the course of around eight years, the film focuses on various facets of his life, from his research to his intense relationship with two women (one, his lab partner, played by Brit Marling). It is hard to describe the film further without lapsing into spoilers, but the various tensions and themes introduced in the first half build to a potential scientific and spiritual revelation with profound implications.

I Origins' myriad fascinations include the controversial concept of an afterlife (an inevitable social byproduct of the fear of death) and the step-by-step scientific procedures which alter and refine our understanding of our bodies and physical world. The architecture of the storyline—the way the protagonist's romances and tragedies, as well as his professional triumphs and failures, are folded into a grander sense of conspiracy and discovery—is crisp and elegant at its core, yet the film's bohemian aesthetic and dreamy diversions lend it grit and unpredictability. The mystery and pathos never become schematic. Pitt, a gifted actor who has never entirely joined the A list despite several memorable film and television roles, proves an enticing lead: capable of transitioning from untidily nerdy enthusiasm to sensual brooding with grace, he sells both half of his character (the one in the lab, the one at parties and in the bedroom).

A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:45 am
Sbil

Magnus wrote:
Another Earth was retarded and the trailer for this looked just as retarded. But Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey and Brit Marling are total babes.

Shut up, jabroni.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:07 pm
Forum General

Another Earth is a masterpiece.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Gamaur's sex slave

movies35 wrote:
Another Earth is a masterpiece.

If in the other earth of Another Earth the word piece is a synonym for shit, then yes, I do agree with you.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:26 pm
Pure Phase

Enough comments from assholes who have not seen I Origins.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:34 pm
Forum General

This was a fascinating, absorbing little movie. It didn't reach the heights of Another Earth, which is easily one of my favorite movies of the past ten years but then again, I wasn't actually expecting it to. Michael Pitt is great here, proving that he is one of the most underrated actors around. How he isn't getting more work is beyond me, he is sensational. Brit Marling is also great here, though I do wish she was in it just a tad more, though that is mainly because I love her so much. Mike Cahill is definitely a writer/director that people should be looking out for, right now he is 2/2. I just wish he was getting more credit than he is getting.

My only qualm with the film is that I didn't totally buy the ending. I didn't have an issue with it being left open ended but I thought the bit with the little girl and the elevator was kind of a cheap jab to say "see! It's true!" They could have gone about showing that he believed in a different manor. It just rubbed me the wrong way.

Still, in a year of great independent cinema, this one is great and more than worthy to see.

A-

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

It started off too slow and ambiguous for my liking, but during the film it began to have a sense of purpose. The ending was poignant but ultimately pointless. There were some interesting ideas mentioned, but most not explored. Overall, I just didn't think it was that appealing or engrossing. I was a tad bored throughout. Michael Pitt was also pretty unspectacular. The guy just sleepwalks through the entire story. Average film.

C+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:49 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I am glad you gave it a shot and enjoyed parts of it, even if it did not entirely grab you.

Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:57 am
now we know

I'll give anything a go. I've had it on my laptop for a while now. You win some, you lose some. Yesterday was a fantastic day where I watched three As, and today has so far thrown up two Cs.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:03 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Everything up until Sofi's death was fine and the last 10 minutes was encouraging stuff. During these times it did a strong job analyzing both sides of the religion debate without seeming too far for one side over the other. The middle of this film though, I donno, it was kind of a mess and if that area were improved this would have been a fairly strong film.

Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:00 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I thought it was great. Fascinating and raises a lot of interesting questions. My only beef is it doesn't always know what to do with those questions. I wasn't a huge fan of the ending either. Really thought it could have been stronger. But honestly I wasn't ready for it to end. Could have been another half hour longer. Michael Pitt (someone I never used to like) was very likable here and Marling was wonderful as usual. Doesn't quite reach the heights of Another Earth for me but it's still well-worth watching. Looking forward to what Cahill does next.

8/10 (A-)

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]