Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Edge of Tomorrow 

What grade would you give this film?
A 57%  57%  [ 12 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 9 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 21

Edge of Tomorrow 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Edge of Tomorrow
Edge of Tomorrow

Quote:
Edge of Tomorrow is a 2014 science fiction film starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt. The US-backed production is directed by Doug Liman. It is based on the Japanese light novel All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka. Rights to the novel were bought in late 2009, and a spec script was sold to the American studio Warner Bros. Pictures for production. The studio co-produced the film with Village Roadshow. Filming began in late 2012 and took place mainly at Warner Bros. Studios, Leavesden outside London. Trafalgar Square in London was also a filming location for some action scenes.

The film was released in theaters in 27 territories—including the United Kingdom, Brazil, Germany, Spain, and Indonesia—on the weekend of May 30, 2014. It will be released in North America (United States and Canada) and in China on June 6, 2014.

Thu May 29, 2014 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: Edge of Tomorrow
A/A-

It's damn awesome. I didn't like the final 5 minutes and the forced kiss between Blunt and Cruise, but aside from that, it has got it all: terrific action scenes, an interesting plot, amazibng visuals, surprisingly good 3D (it is actually worth seeing in 3D) and, somewhat surprisingly, lots of humor.

Thu May 29, 2014 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

spoiler alert!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 29, 2014 4:30 pm
You must have big rats

Quote:
This is the place to give us YOUR reviews on the movies you have seen. Discussion of movies is welcomed, but please do not comment if you have not previously seen the movie! Spoilers are ALLOWED inside.

Thu May 29, 2014 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Don't make me pull a Bradley and go through your many posts in this forum before you have seen a movie, sir.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 29, 2014 4:46 pm
You must have big rats

I meant the spoiler part.

Thu May 29, 2014 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I can post many examples of you not posting spoilers!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 29, 2014 5:16 pm
Forum General

I hate that reviews are so openly allowed in this part of the forum. What happens when you just want to read peoples opinions? Adding a spoiler tag isn't hard to do. :P

I'm really excited for this. I always thought it looked good but the reviews are great.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu May 29, 2014 11:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Just read parts of their reviews. Or just their grade.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri May 30, 2014 10:47 am
We had our time together

I completely agree with Arthur. It was so good.

Cruise nails it once again and is just terrific. He and Blunt have great chemistry. The biggest surprise about this was probably it's humor. There were lots of laughs to find and one scene made me laugh through the next few scenes.

It's perfect entertainment from start to finish.

Fri May 30, 2014 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

movies35 wrote:
I hate that reviews are so openly allowed in this part of the forum. What happens when you just want to read peoples opinions? Adding a spoiler tag isn't hard to do. :P

+1

How is Emily Blunt in this? :wub2: her.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:43 am
You must have big rats

Very good.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:08 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I will go see it and I hope it's as good as people say, but it certainly doesn't look very interesting...

3- Lone Survivor 8.5/10
4- Captain America 8.0/10
5- 300: 8.0/10

Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

This is a highly enjoyable popcorn blockbuster. A-/B+

For once, an original sci-fi film, or even just a sci-fi film hasn't just bombed out its premise with shoddy execution, poor scripts and stilted acting. The special effects are great and I suppose you could say, it definitely looks well-used even though its budget is a humongous $178m. In movies like Elysium and Pacific Rim, you can see flaws in the world, poorly rendered settings and clunky looking scenes that stick out- none here to be found, in fact, its simplicity in what it needs to create is what works refreshingly well. If you cannot go all out, then don't do something half-baked. It will show.

I look forward to seeing it again and hopefully it will hold up on repeat viewings.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:28 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

I'm sensing Edge of Tomorrow to be a movie that only gets better with repeat viewings.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Some Spoilers, but I'll use the tags for them.

For me, its not quite on the same level as Groundhog Day or Source Code, but when this film is rolling it works very effectively. The action is great if not exactly memorable, and the supporting characters are all fun as well, especially Bill Paxton. The effects are also really well done. Cruise is his typical solid self, and Blunt looks like it was in her contract to be oily the entire time (not a complaint) but she was very good and her and Cruise do have a very subtle yet effective chemistry. Though Cruise's character in general is a little underwritten but he makes the best of it. I think my biggest complaint is that the Aliens themselves are kind of lackluster. Basically they look like the Machines in the Matrix, and their motivations aren't really addressed at all. The way to beat them is very Death Star vulnerability as well. It's a fun well crafted if flawed Sci Fi film we haven't seen in a while.

B+/A-

My Spoiler
Spoiler: show
I usually love how they put these kind of films together, but I found it really stupid that the second Cruise found out where the real device was they didn't just kill themselves. The car chase was unnecessary and kind of just added extra drama for no reason. Also the ending I liked for the most part, and I understand why they couldn't end on a sad note, but couldn't they have picked a better end credit song

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:59 pm
Pure Phase

It is without the resonance and depth of imagination required to match, say, The Matrix, Minority Report, or Inception, but Edge of Tomorrow is still a very exciting, spry, and well-crafted science-fiction action film. Tom Cruise stars as Cage, Bill Cage. Despite the ass-kicking movie-star name, Cage is a cowardly and oily advertising executive who, in a world in which humanity has united to combat an invading alien force, wears a military uniform rather than a well-tailored suit to excel in his field. He is in well over his head when, out of disdain, a general conspires to ship him to the front on the eve of a last stand the against the dangerous, tentacled creatures. The film then shifts into a gear reminiscent of Groundhog Day as Cage, after an extra-close encounter, gains the supernatural ability to experience the same day over and over and over again, jolting to the prior morning every time he dies. He uses the time paradox to train alongside Rita, a fierce female soldier who previously shared the same power, played by Emily Blunt.

To be honest, neither Bill Cage nor Rita is a particularly rich character on the page, but the top-notch stars more than compensate. Cruise plays Cage as an anxious and charming individual who is exasperated rather than elevated by action, and Blunt is a sexy and strong presence, providing the forward-charging grit Cruise dodges in favor of a more unexpected characterization. Many people will no doubt enjoy the fact the female lead is the most capable and courageous character. Another surprise is the film's healthy amount of humor. Sure, it is serious overall and builds to an ultra-grim race to save the world, but along the way Cage's macabre predicament (dying again and again in numerous, often ignoble ways) is presented with a welcome comic touch. Factor in a tight pace and a few fantastic-but-not-overblown set pieces, and Edge of Tomorrow is a damn fine popcorn film which overcomes a few shortcomings and rubs, including a slightly ill-advised ending, a problem compounded by a downright awful choice of music for the end credits. It is also satisfying to see an expensive summer action film (a tent-pole release, as they say) which tells its story crisply and completely rather than functioning as a feature-length advertisement for franchise installments to come.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:29 pm
why so serious?

I enjoyed the hell out of Edge of Tomorrow. The trailers made it look solid, but the final product is even more massively entertaining than I anticipated. It takes its Groundhog Day-like concept into some interesting directions, and it succeeds in being exhilarating, funny, and even somewhat emotionally affecting over the course of its running time. It does lose a little bit of steam in its climactic sequence, but the rest of the film is so giddily enjoyable that such a misstep is easy to forgive. Tom Cruise hasn't been this much fun to watch in an action movie in years. On top of the requisite action hero tropes, he proves quite deft at wringing laughs out of his predicament as well. It's the kind of performance that could help to win back some of the crowds that he alienated with his mid-2000s antics. The bigger surprise, however, is Emily Blunt, who is more than credible as a badass action heroine. As popcorn flicks go, Edge of Tomorrow is one that gets just about all of the pieces to fall in place, and it could be the most sheer fun that I have in a theatre this summer.

A-

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:57 am
Another You

Best film I've seen so far this year. Haven't had this much fun in a sci-fi actioner in quite a while.

A-

Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:06 am
Extraordinary

Edge Of Tomorrow is a direct Groundhog Day rip-off, of course - - but if you're gonna steal, might as well steal from the best!

- The time travel mechanics were exceptionally well managed, far beyond your typical time travel movie
- Fortunately, I'm in the camp that believes Tom Cruise almost always elevates this type of material
- Emily Blunt is born for this part - - in fact, this is her third time playing it! (4th, if you count Gulliver's Travels)
- The supporting cast adds just the right amount of color to the film's muted emotional pallette
- The humor is infrequent, but James Bond martini dry and exquisitely timed
- It puts me in mind of classic half hour Twilight Zone episodes, and their light touch without giving up the chills of gravitas
- Unfortunately, that also underlines the slightly bloated running time of the film
- Customers shoulda been shooed out the door in 90 minutes flat before they catch a glimpse behind the curtain
- Gotta dig that hard sci-fi edge - - good movies in this increasingly rare genre are made to be cherished!!!

27 out of 5.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:07 pm
I heet the canadian!

For about 80% of the runtime, this was the best blockbuster I've seen since at least Skyfall. Probably even longer. It's perfectly paced, well-written, and slyly funny; all things I greatly appreciate in these kind of films, and certainly qualities a lot of directors forget to take into account. The recruitment of
J squad, only to have them die within 5 minutes

is when the wind starts to come out of the sails. From there, things start to feel rushed all way to the conclusion. I wouldn't have felt this way about the final shot if it wasn't for the bizarre use of Love Me Again. This choice for the credits isn't necessarily awful, but it expounds the abruptness of the cut to an off-putting degree.

Still, I'd place this right at the top of the year. Certainly above X-men or CA2.

A-

Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:18 pm
I heet the canadian!

I feel like the final action set-pieces in Paris will be better on repeat viewings, since I believe that

that was not Cage's first time there. He pulls off more impressive feats after "losing" his powers than at any point while having them. While that could just be a plot convenience, I think the film is smarter than that.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:42 pm
Forum General

Biggestgeekever wrote:
I feel like the final action set-pieces in Paris will be better on repeat viewings, since I believe that

that was not Cage's first time there. He pulls off more impressive feats after "losing" his powers than at any point while having them. While that could just be a plot convenience, I think the film is smarter than that.

It has to be since he lost his powers already? But either way, I thought it was different, interesting that they killed off the J-squad almost immediately. Even then, it's one by one, so quick but gradual. The whole film feels very real, and it has the luxury of having the ability to reset to soften the deaths, but if they were in a war, that's probably what would happen, unlike...every other blockbuster out there where heroes just never get injured, much less die. Of course, you'd guess Cruise would somehow get to reset once he killed the Omega but rightly or wrongly, the film up to that point is so good/fun that you excuse what you now will happen. In some ways, the knowledge that it will indeed happen, once again softens the otherwise Hollywood ending. If you know it's coming, you can't really be all, "Oh, that's a shit ending, really?" especially when oyu're in the mood this film sets you in.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Biggestgeekever wrote:

That's my biggest issue
I think that would have been a nice touch if he had done it before, but I stand by there is no reason he shouldn't have killed himself or have to find the location of the Orb any more. I like the smile at the end, but I think Cruise should have said something like "You and I just saved the world" She reacts, END

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:06 pm
Extraordinary

I agree with the Biggestgeekever on his spoiler (given the extra layer added by the ending).

BTW, Emily Blunt is truly all grown up now - - My Summer Of Love seems like forever ago...

Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next