Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Neighbors (2014) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 31%  31%  [ 5 ]
B 63%  63%  [ 10 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 16

Neighbors (2014) 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Neighbors (2014)
Neighbors (2014)

Quote:
Neighbors (released as Bad Neighbours in the UK and Australia) is a 2014 American comedy film, directed by Nicholas Stoller and written by Andrew Cohen and Brendan O’Brien. The film stars Seth Rogen, Zac Efron, Rose Byrne, Dave Franco, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Neighbors (2014)
It was a perfectly serviceable, entertaining summer comedy. Nothing groundbreaking or incredibly hilarious, but it was charming enough. The star here is Rose Byrne. She is absolutely hysterical and she should be the queen of comedy. Her comedic timing is aces. Zac Efron is quite good here too and is very funny and shows a fair amount of range. Seth Rogan is Seth Rogan. Lisa Kudrow also has a very funny supporting part.

I didn't think it was the funniest movie in years or anything and it was more humorous that actually laugh out loud hilarious (honestly all of the big jokes are shown in the trailer) but it was fun, even though it did get a bit long in the tooth by the end of the short running time.

B

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:11 pm
Profile YIM WWW
The Incredible Hulk

One way to look at it, Neighbors (Bad Neighbors for you international readers) is actually deceptively ambitious. It's the film that assimilates many noteworthy 21st century Frat Pack and Apatow comedies into one. This is primarily because of its premise that the international title does a better job of implying; twentysomething coming of age gets pit against thirtysomething coming of age. So naturally, we see concern about the future pit against longing for youth, and bromantic shenanigans pit against parental trepidation. When I saw this movie, I saw a bit of Superbad, a bit of Old School, a bit of 21 Jump Street, and I guess some Knocked Up while I was at it. You get the idea.

It has the feel of a film that I'd predict to be around for a while, not unlike how Anchorman or Mean Girls have distinct reputations as American comedies after a decade of existence. These are all light entertainments, yes, but they tap into something tangible and entrenched in our society in its current state.

It's fairly funny, too! Not exceptionally so, but it works well - there's a chemistry between actors (MVP goes to Rose Byrne) and it's never quite so obvious how any given character networks with the next within the frenzied setup.

7.0/10 (B/B-)

Fri May 02, 2014 4:11 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

It is funny, but it is not consistently funny (similar to Stoller's other films in that repsect). When it is funny, it is REALLY funny.

But humor aside, what impressed me is Stoller's direction during the frat party scenes. I think very few movies actually manage to convey a realistic feeling of a huge house party or a club scene, but this one does well. It feels right.

Oh and Rose Byrne is a total babe. [/Magnus]

Mon May 05, 2014 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Are there cats?

Mon May 05, 2014 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
---------

Rogen wears a shirt with a cat on it for a few large scenes, but no live cats.

I enjoyed this greatly. The Rogen vs. Efron fight scene was hilarious. Rogen is 100% Rogen in this, but he feels as fresh as ever. That sounded weird, but hopefully you get the point.

B+

Thu May 08, 2014 11:27 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought this was absolutely uproarious. For all those movies that claim they're "just as funny as Bridesmaids," this is one that came close to actually living up to the hype for me. Seth Rogen and Zac Efron are both great and their fight scene near the end is hysterical. Rose Byrne steals the show though. The party scene where they put their plan in motion was the funniest part of the movie for me because of her, and so many of her lines were great (the doctor scene and the impersonation of a certain Oscar winner). I also thought Dave Franco and Ike Barinholtz were great supporting characters, and Lisa Kudrow has two fun scenes as well. It's also pretty sweet at times and was very well-directed for the kind of movie it was. It's just a hilarious, entertaining summer comedy that doesn't overstay its welcome. I definitely want to see it again. A-

Fri May 09, 2014 12:59 am
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

The ceiling fan bit at the end killed me. So funny. And I loved the exchange between Rogen and Byrne about Kevin James movies :P

Fri May 09, 2014 1:00 am
Profile YIM
On autopilot for the summer

I loved it, probably the funniest film I've seen in the last two years. So random, and the plot isn't convincing all the way through (Both sets of people had their good and bad moments) but nearly every joke works and there are few slow spots. Leads had great chemistry and really strong supporting characters (especially some of the lesser known frat guys)

A

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri May 09, 2014 10:31 pm
Pure Phase

A newlywed couple's earnest performance of domestic suburban stability is disrupted when a cast of hard-living, oversexed fraternity brothers move in next door. An early, hesitant peace soon gives way to an escalating conflict consisting of noise complaints and household sabotage. As with many modern American comedies, Neighbors turns on a certain fear of adulthood proper and the implied catalog of responsibilities. The fraternity brothers, of course, function as a physical manifestation of the sense of youthful abandon the protagonists are forced to retire after the birth of their child and the purchase of their first home. While not a great film, Neighbors is a solid one with several hilarious comic set pieces (one or two, I admit, are just disgusting) and a few obvious, but still sweet dramatic touches toward the end as debauched misbehavior inspires inevitable personal growth. It is elevated by its ace cast. Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne are both in fine form. They convince the audience this is a genuine couple with a unique bond and a humorous vocabulary forged through years of flirtation and discovery. She shines in particular, delivering a sexy and vivacious comic performance which could her earn an overdue spot on the A list. Zac Efron, following his fantastic turn last year in the undervalued At Any Price, is also a notable player, lacing chiseled confidence with authentic notes of melancholic uncertainty as a fraternity president consumed with fear as his indulgent college ride nears its end. For him, graduation signals social displacement and the demise of the foolish bros-before-hoes code in which he is invested.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat May 10, 2014 12:52 am
Sbil

Often incredibly hilarious with surprising insights regarding the transitions into adulthood. Way more of the film's jokes land than not, thanks to keen direction from Nick Stoller (no stranger to these types of comedies) and a highly game cast. This is one of Seth Rogen's better performances and films in general, while Zac Efron (besides being devastatingly hot here) makes the same kind of forceful comedic impression Channing Tatum did in 21 Jump Street a few years ago. Dave Franco is pretty good as well. The real dynamo here ends up being Rose Byrne, whose character Kelly is written light years ahead of the stock "boring wife" type and Byrne is certainly up to the challenge. Officially a good start to the summer movie season for comedies. B+

Sat May 10, 2014 1:12 am
On autopilot for the summer

Your baby has aids, might be the most offensively hilarious things I've ever heard. And this film has that. And while Rogen's reaction is hilarious, Byrne completely owns that scene!

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat May 10, 2014 2:28 am
Extraordinary

Enjoyed it quite a bit, although some bits probably would've been more enjoyable had they not been in the trailer.(condom, airbags, etc.) Very good ensemble, even Efron, who I'm not a huge fan of, is very good. Liked that they didn't make it completely one sided and briefly explored his dilemmas with life goals.

Sat May 10, 2014 10:27 am
We had our time together

I had a great time. I laughed A LOT and "Your baby has AIDS" had me rolling. Thank god I've only seen the trailer once. Oh and the fight between Rogen and Efron is something for the ages.

Sat May 10, 2014 11:36 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Last edited by Bradley Witherberry on Sat May 10, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat May 10, 2014 2:33 pm
Extraordinary

There were a couple of set pieces and several short gags that were somewhat funny in Neighbors, and of course, Rose Byrne is worth the price of admission alone - - but the whole endeavor never really quite ignited.

4 out of 5.

Sat May 10, 2014 2:33 pm
Indiana Jones IV

A pretty fucking boring "comedy".

3- Lone Survivor 8.5/10
4- Captain America 8.0/10
5- 300: 8.0/10

Sat May 10, 2014 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

It'll be one of the funnier moves of the year and is surprisingly well directed. But the highlight of the film is the private Rogen-Byrne back and forth comedy, not anything to do with the premise, who's mildly decent jokes were all in the trailers. Still, there is spontaneous greatness in this

I have some nitpicks though. Some characters like Mintz-Plasse and Ass Juice failed to be anything but weak caricatures and Efron's GF was a soulless vessel and object. Secondly, I know it's just one moment in the film, but it took me out of the movie they put airbags in a house. We're talking potentially killing a baby! Other than how the frat wouldn't cross that line, of course, the moment they did the movie is over because things passed a dark threshold of no return and Efron/Franco are going to jail, let alone avoiding the final strike

Last edited by Shack on Sun May 11, 2014 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 11, 2014 1:52 am
Pure Phase

Ha. I thought the same, particularly when he is testing around the house and includes the crib in his search.

The movie also rather lazily glosses over the question of the many other neighbors and their reaction to the raucous partying.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun May 11, 2014 1:59 am
Extraordinary

The movie isn't perfect but I really liked how the length of it never felt too long or too short. Didn't drag or feel bloated like a lot of recent comedies.

Sun May 11, 2014 3:08 am
loyalfromlondon

finally, a movie that utilizes efron's vacuous expressions as a character trait

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun May 11, 2014 6:24 pm
Pure Phase

None of them have seen A Streetcar Named Desire.

Sun May 11, 2014 7:12 pm
You must have big rats

I haven't seen a single second of footage from this film prior to seeing the film itself. I hear that it's definitely for the better as the trailer spoils many funny scenes.

Sun May 11, 2014 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Rose Byrne is hilarious and steals the show, but the movie, while funny, isn't hilarious. Still enjoyable though.

7/10 ( B )

Sun May 11, 2014 10:11 pm
Forum General

Solid is probably the best way to describe this one. Like most have already said it's funny, just not hilarious. Not a bad way to start the summer in terms of comedies at all, but it won't be a classic in the vein of TH or WC.

Mon May 12, 2014 1:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next