Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The LEGO Movie 

What grade would you give this film?
A 53%  53%  [ 10 ]
B 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
D 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19

The LEGO Movie 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The LEGO Movie
The LEGO® Movie

Quote:
The LEGO® Movie is an upcoming 2014 American-Australian computer-animated adventure comedy film directed and co-written by Phil Lord and Chris Miller, distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, and starring the voices of Chris Pratt, Will Ferrell, Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett, Nick Offerman, Alison Brie, Charlie Day, Liam Neeson, and Morgan Freeman. The film is based on the Lego line of construction toys and is scheduled to be released on February 7, 2014.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

Post Re: The Lego Movie
Magnus wrote:
Fucking. Awesome.

Spoiler: show
SPACESHIP

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:30 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It's fun. The first 10 minutes or so are really great but it kind of loses that brisk pace somewhere in the middle. The live action stuff also felt kind of eh for me. Still, it has great/funny moments and is amusing for the most part.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:02 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

So I just read Charlie Day is in this.

Which should be a requirement for all films.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:18 pm
Ocarina of Time

^ after all Lego's director is the same from the 21/22 jump street

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:34 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

In relation to this movie

http://everythingwrongwithfrozen.tumblr.com/

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Eating a chocolate bar can be a delightful experience. Eat ten, though, and you may not have a very pleasant evening, even though chocolate is still chocolate. This sums up my view of The Lego Movie. There is no denying the colorful, detailed, and often downright spectacular nature of the Lego world imagined in the film. I am not even sure where the stop-motion elements, if present, end and the computer-generated images begin as various intricate cities and psychedelic magical landscapes are explored, but I am certain the final renderings are awe-inspiring. And for around 30 minutes, the film, which moves through a standard storyline (at once adhering to and modestly lampooning the conventional arc of the hero's journey) and launches one-liners and visual jests at five-second intervals, held me tightly in its grip, elevated by a dynamic voice cast including Will Ferrell, Morgan Freeman, and a perfectly cast Liam Neeson as an antagonistic policeman whose personality is split along the old good-cop/bad-cop line. However, its aural and visual hyperactivity, its inability to let any single sensation or idea establish itself in full before racing toward the next comic pyrotechnic, began to wear on me. At the end of this most ambitious and mad of toy advertisements, I still admired the visual splendor on display in every frame, but otherwise left the theatre a tad numbed and disengaged, the way one might describe watching a friend play video games for too long.

C+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:09 am
Pure Phase

I was never a huge fan of Legos. They frustrated me. To truly have fun with them and create "awesome" structures required a dexterity beyond my capability.

I guess

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:17 am
Extraordinary

I loved UniKitty though! lol

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:23 am
Kypade

my childhood sucked /and/ I'm just an idiot. I'm gonna hate this movie.

just kidding I'm not gonna see it because I'm no longer ten.

haha no but really, I wanna see this, so far the only bad things I've heard were the two subpar reactions in this thread so I've got high hopes.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:24 am
Kypade

my bad. I didn't actually read any opinions except yours...I was just basing the subpar thing on your two '^ loser' posts.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:42 am
Extraordinary

kypade wrote:
my bad. I didn't actually read any opinions except yours...I was just basing the subpar thing on your two '^ loser' posts.

ouch

Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:59 am
Kypade

lol it was a joke. I thought that was obvious...I mean, seriously, only taking into account the opinion of /Magnus/?

(that was a joke too, I love you all)

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:53 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Certainly better than I was expecting months ago. I wasn't expecting it to be bad or anything, but just "average" and it's certainly above average. I've played Lego Pirates, Lego LOTR, Lego Harry Potter, Lego Star Wars, as well as Lego City: Undercover (Emmet is like the love child of Chase and Honey), and the film captures the best humor elements of these games and then some.

The film has excellent pacing until about 2/3 of the film when it comes to a surprising halt, in my opinion. For a brief moment I wasn't really like it as much anymore but it finishes strong. (B+) The film version of "Everything is Awesome" is so much better than the original, too.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

There is only air above your post.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:04 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

David wrote:
There is only air above your post.

No there is the title of "The Lego Movie" which he calls a winner.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

So. Much. Fun. A zippy, colorful, zany, hilarious ode to creativity that totally blew past any expectations I had just a week ago. So many great voices! A-

Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:10 am
Begging Naked

Corpse wrote:
The film has excellent pacing until about 2/3 of the film when it comes to a surprising halt, in my opinion. For a brief moment I wasn't really like it as much anymore but it finishes strong.

I think that's just a natural side effect of when a film completely destroys the fourth wall and becomes something else entirely. Blazing Saddles is one of my all-time favorite movies, and while I ultimately think the fourth-wall breaking is brilliant, every time I watch I'm still a little jarred and left wondering "where are we going with this?" I had a very similar reaction to the fourth-wall breaking here, though like you the film ultimately works itself out. And anyway, the ending has Lego William Shakespeare doing the worm so it could've fucked it up and still ended on an awesome note with that.

But yeah, A-/B+ sounds about right. Probably my favorite American animated film since at least How to Train Your Dragon. Maybe even since Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:46 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

A-

Everything is Awesome!

Spaceship!

FIRST TRY!

Where are my Pants!

Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:10 am
Profile WWW
Gamaur's sex slave

Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:28 am
Gamaur's sex slave

^

Wiener.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:29 am
Pure Phase

Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:39 am
Pure Phase

Shit, I ended the streak of winners. ;)

Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:39 am
Begging Naked

^

WInner.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Shut your mouth, Jon.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next