Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 

What grade would you give this film?
A 22%  22%  [ 7 ]
B 41%  41%  [ 13 ]
C 22%  22%  [ 7 ]
D 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 32

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 
Commander and Chef

A

I loved it. There were some weak points (I wasn't a big fan of Freeman's Dent, or the first 15 minutes in general), but it's one of those films where the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts. I may write a full review if I can be bothered, if only because I disagree with baba so strongly.

Stupid baba.

stupid brit!

Mon May 02, 2005 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

Mon May 02, 2005 12:29 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Snrub wrote:
A

I loved it. There were some weak points (I wasn't a big fan of Freeman's Dent, or the first 15 minutes in general), but it's one of those films where the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts. I may write a full review if I can be bothered, if only because I disagree with baba so strongly.

Stupid baba.

stupid brit!

I honestly don't see how anyone could be disappointed. I went to see it on Saturday with a friend (incidentally, the biggest Hitchhiker's fan I know), and we both adored it with a passion. It was so tonally correct, endlessly imaginitive and perfectly cast that any shortcomings or liberties they took didn't detract from the end result. I even liked the love story!

And Sam Rockwell was perfect.

Mon May 02, 2005 12:43 pm
Commander and Chef

Gimli the Elf wrote:
Snrub wrote:
A

Stupid baba.

stupid brit!

I honestly don't see how anyone could be disappointed. I went to see it on Saturday with a friend (incidentally, the biggest Hitchhiker's fan I know), and we both adored it with a passion. It was so tonally correct, endlessly imaginitive and perfectly cast that any shortcomings or liberties they took didn't detract from the end result. I even liked the love story!

And Sam Rockwell was perfect.

I put it down very clearly in my review. But I'm glad you enjoyed it. The important thing is, someone got their money's worth.

Mon May 02, 2005 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

I put it down very clearly in my review. But I'm glad you enjoyed it. The important thing is, someone got their money's worth.

Well maybe I should actually read your review then, huh!? How do you like those apples?!

*reads review*

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong! Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong! You're wrong!

Mon May 02, 2005 1:53 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I was surprised by this one. I thought it would be one of the year's worst and I ended up really enjoying it (aside from Sam Rockwell's horrendous and annoying performance)

Mon May 02, 2005 10:54 pm
Profile YIM
Lord of filth

The thing is, if people got what they say they want... all the madcap gags from the book, the movie would be an even more incoherant mess.

The focused their time on making things like the whale special, making the entries special, cutting in order to save what is left of a plot.

It's not perfect, but I also don't understand the lukewarm reception.

Wed May 04, 2005 2:35 am
Profile WWW
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

It started out with promise... it reminded me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail in some ways. But, as loyal mentioned, the movie lost a lot of steam as it went on, and by the end it felt very flat. The 3 lead actors were very uninspiring to me, and I felt they could have done so much more with the concept.

But, at the same time it wasn't terrible and it did have it's moments. It was easy to watch.

C+

Mon May 16, 2005 6:54 pm
College Boy Z

This is a tough one to grade. I'm not as versed in the material as other people but at the same time, I don't think that's a really big issue. All adaptations deal with finding that middle ground, Hitchhiker's is no different.

It's funny at times but some of the jokes fall flat as well. Zooey Deschanel, Martin Freeman, Mos Def, and Alan Rickman all do great work. Sam Rockwell didn't really work for me, I didn't get him. And I'm not sure why John Malkovich is even in the film.

It's a very average film for me, leaning towards the lower half of the C scale.

C/C-

Ditto.

Not knowing any of the material beforehand was not an advantage. Considering most fans were dissapointed with the film, I thought it could have been better for a non-fan. Unfortunately, it was the opposite.

I hardly laughed at all in this film. Almost every joke fell flat. But, Mos Def, Martin Freeman, and even Sam Rockwell were decent enough to make a bad movie a little better.

Overall, though, boring and mediocre. C-

Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:07 am
You must have big rats

Well, I am not familiar with the source material, but I must say that I did enjoy this adaptation quite a bit. I heard lots of things about it. Many good ones, but also some terrible ones. For one, I did not find this film funny. Usually, I am a fan of British humor, but this one didn't really make me laugh even once. As a comedy it failed for me in every possible way.

For another, the movie often loses its focus. What's up with that random John Malkovich appearance that doesn't re-occur later on despite it being somewhat crucial to the plot. The movie doesn't tie up loose ends.

But that aside, it was a decent and most of all very imaginative movie. Despite the rather moderate budget, I was surprised by the good effects and the great production design. The spaceship, the alien worlds, the aliens themselves were all well-done, even if sometimes ridiculously weird. The cast mostly did a decent job. I liked Rockwell, but he has done the same stuff before in other movies. Freeman was decent and the best thing was that he actually had some chemistry with Zooey Deschanel and of course Marvin stood out. The ending was a bit abrupt and seemed...off, but overall it was an enjoyable, even though quite flawed, experience.

Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:48 pm
Profile WWW

A very funny movie, but its story stucter hurt it from getting a B+, so it gets a

B

Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:51 am
New Server, Same X

Hmm... I feel like an odd man out for thoroughly enjoying this movie. I sadly never read of the material, but I still enjoyed this film on its own immensely.

Grade: A

Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:49 pm
Draughty

When I saw it in the theaters I was a little less impressed, some of the casting choices were not what I pictured as a fan of the books and the whole story is very compressed. But on second viewing I appreciated it more for what it is, not what I had expected, and what it is, is one of the most creative movies of the year. I've come to really like Sam Rockwell's take on Zaphod and I think time will be generous to this movie.

The minus because it's not quite as funny as it wants to be. But it oozes likeability, creativity and cast chemistry.

By the way the DVD for this has a fun commentary by the director, Freeman and Nighy.

Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:55 am
Profile WWW
Iron Man

The beginning was fantastic and I thought it would end up being a great movie. I was wrong. From then on, it became clear that it was an unfunny, and at times stupid, mess. The visual effects, however, were fantastic. D

Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:39 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Post Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
A wild, unpredictable and hilarious sci-fi spoof. The actors all do good jobs and the film has some very clever moments of humor. Some stuff doesn't work, but the visuals are very imaginative and its highly entertaining.

A

Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:22 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

ZOOEY!!!

:wub2:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:27 pm
Speed Racer

Loved the book, loved the movie. So underrated.

8/10 (B+)

Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:28 pm

Yes it is very much underate. B+

Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:35 pm
The Wall

7/10 -> B-

I avoided this because of the bad response it got when it got out.. I finally saw it at the beginning of this year and I was pleasantly surpised. It's not a great adaptation, but it's a good one.

Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2