Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Wolf of Wall Street 

What grade would you give this film?
A 62%  62%  [ 13 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 7 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 21

The Wolf of Wall Street 
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Wolf of Wall Street
Ha ha ha:

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:45 pm
Forum General

The controversy for this movie is getting so out of hand. Now it is about the cursing? Are you serious right now? It's an R rated film by Martin Scorsese. I fail to see how anyone would expect there to not be a lot of language in it. They are also seemingly forgetting that it is a three hour movie. Then there are the people also complaining about the sex, nudity and drug use. Did they see the trailer? Read a review? Anything? It isn't like they were hiding the content of the film. It's so annoying. One person wrote that you should be at least 30 to see it. Seriously? I didn't even find the sex/nudity aspect of it that bad. Sure, it was definitely R rated but I don't think it was anything new or worthy of an NC-17 or anything.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:51 am
Profile YIM WWW
Superfreak

I will say this...Leonardo Dicaprio starring in an endorsement of this douchebag - who in real life was not 1/10th as captivating as the film makes him out to be - is pretty sad.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:41 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

I've met Belfort, well bumped into him and exchanged a few words (I'd previously read the book) and I can say he's still a tosser.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:06 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I don't see how this is an "endorsement" of Belfort.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:54 am
Pure Phase

Chippy wrote:
I don't see how this is an "endorsement" of Belfort.

You mean the film? Or the video I posted of Leo praising and promoting Jordan Belfort as a paid speaker?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:01 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Either.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:20 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I didn't watch the video. But him endorsing him as a "speaker" isn't a big deal.

Lots of douchebags are great speakers.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:48 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Fuck you

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:35 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Breakdown of the CinemaScore:

18-24 B
25-34 B-
35-49 C+
50+ C-

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:15 pm

This film really worked for me. I would not put it past Goodfellas, but this was indeed a great movie. I would say the film was too long, but I think in some ways that was the point of the film. For me, this film was ultimately about addiction, its allure, its captivation, its relapses, its excess, and the running time and pacing of the film really works in the regards. There are times in the film that you wonder is this it, is this where the story will end, and then boom it continues on, and the whole time it just soars on a high. This film is not about stocks as much as it is about drugs, sex, and there's that word again, addiction. Hell, even Jordan says at one time he doesn't want to bore us with the money talk anyways because at the heart of this film, that's not the topic at hand.

I want this film to sit for awhile before I truly praise it, but I will say Leo gave the best performance of his career with this film and it would be sad if he misses out on a Oscar nomination. He embodies his character and leaves us with his most memorable performance, and if that is not career best, I don't know what is? The rest of the cast is great, and does their roles effectively, but this is Leo's movie through and through and he brings home the bacon.

Oh, and I think this film will be hailed as a classic in the future, I think a lot of people will be put off at first because this isn't a bow-tie, dressed up film, it is in many ways very loose and free, without restraint, moderation, or decency really. For someone as old as Scorsese, that is truly astonishing that he can stay fresh after all of these years, despite this basically following the formula of Goodfellas.

A

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:40 am
Superfreak

KING OF EXCESS was Brad Pitts rumored title.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:01 pm

Magnus, I will say this film did have an interesting take on Wall Street as a place for Frat Boys to continue their Frat behavior. Obviously these guys weren't college boys, but the comparisons between Wall Street and a Frat House are unmistakeably present in this film.

The more I let this film settle, the more I like it. I would have to watch it again before I can label it truly great, but right now, still fresh off the first viewing, I think I liked it about as much as Goodfellas, but as of right now, it is still not nearly as close as a masterpiece as Goodfellas was. For me, Goodfellas will always be his best film.

As for Raging Bull? Raging Bull is a better crafted movie, but I think I like the Wolf slightly better. Yes Raging Bull is a bigger contribution to cinema, but was ultimately flat for me outside of a few scenes.

I haven't seen Taxi Driver or Hugo, but these are two of his films I want to see, the rest of the movies of his I haven't seen I have no interest in seeing.

The Departed? I always found that to be overrated. It's a fun movie, but nothing more really. Hell the Wolf is a shallow fucking movie, but it worked better for me on an emotional level than the Departed.

Gangs of New York? I only watched this one once, but was not impressed outside of Daniel Day Lewis' kickass character.

The Aviator? Now this one grew on me, it doesn't pick up until after the plane crash in the middle of the film and during the senate hearings, but this is another of one of Leo's few dynamite performances.

Therefore:

1. Goodfellas
2. The Wolf of Wall Street
3. The Aviator
4. Raging Bull
5. The Departed
6. Gangs of New York

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:21 pm

Fair enough

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:35 pm
Superfreak

Frankly, if anything, I wish the film had a bit more balls and asked the question it seemed to HINT at asking.

There is a shot, at the end of the film, of Denham riding the subway home, just as Belfort predicted. It is almost tongue in cheek. At least to me, I was wondering what Denha, was thinking during the ride home.

Personal responsibility.

Belfort didn't steal a dollar. They were willingly given to him by people acting under their own power. Belfort played on people stupidity, and that's it. And he got super rich. WHO is really in the wrong? Belfort for taking advantage of stupid people who WILLINGLY gave him their money? Or the FBI guy who lives a shittier lifestyles because he lives by some questionable rules which don't hold individual investors responsible for how they handle their money? Why are they holding Belfort responsible when people gave him their money? Is it Belforts fault they're an idiot and didn't further investigate him or his stocks?

For a film with such balls, I wish it had asked that question.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:10 pm
The Kramer

The boardroom scene where they're planning the midget dartboard had me laughing for ten straight minutes. This will probably be my pick for Funniest Comedy at our awards.

It should have ended on the scene when he's arrested filming his infomercial. I originally thought it should have ended on his "going away" speech, but then we would have been robbed of the amazing lemon scene.

Excel, they were arrested mostly for money laundering, stock manipulation and tax evasion.Taking the money from stupid people was never really the issue. Otherwise the entire industry would be illegal.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:15 am
Iron Man

Finally saw this, and I'm very ambivalent. It's incredibly funny, well-directed and acted, and it keeps your attention throughout its long running time. However, I did think it was overlong and redundant (though I don't know which parts could have been cut out), and I felt it could have gone a bit deeper into its subject matter, and its critique of Belfort's actions. Regardless, I enjoyed this immensely, but I have not decided on a grade yet. U for Undecided.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:24 pm
Forum General

Lol this movie is a fucking blast. Sure it's three hours of pointless debauchery, but it's so god damn insane and fun that it never gets boring. Dicaprio and Hill are absolute dynamite together and I wouldn't mind seeing them both do more movies together in the future. They seem to have the bro chemistry on lockdown.

I only wish there was more Matthew McConaughey and MY GOD at all of Margot Robbie's full frontal scenes. That women is a total babe and I am shocked to find out she is only 23.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:54 am
Pure Phase

I love Matthew McConaughey's scene, but I am glad he is not featured much more. The mystique would be undermined. Casting such a famous actor in so focused and small role has a certain charge, a certain power, similar to Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross or Ed Harris in A History of Violence.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:40 am
On autopilot for the summer

Not one of Marty's best, I'd put it middle of the bunch, but it was entertaining with a great performance by DiCaprio. There is absolutely nothing likable about him, yet I found myself wishing I could. It's long and needed a final edit, and overall it's the same kind of rise and fall story Scorsese has done time and time again, but this time it doesn't feel as complete.

B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:41 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Margot Robbie. A-FUCKING +.

Everything else. A.

Hilarious, well paced and brilliantly acted. Leo was dynamite.

But Margot Robbie. My jesus lord fucking christ.

The scene in their daughters room was just... omg.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:37 am
100% That Bitch

MArgot Robbie slays in this (and yes, yer body ... we ain't worthy of it) but This is Leo's movie from start to finish.

A

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:48 am
New Server, Same X

Loved it. Start to finish, every second. I'm pretty sure I had a second-hand high throughout. From Leo to Jonah to Margot and everything in between, it was excellent.

Sure, a good 20-30 minutes could be shaved off and the exact same points could have been made. But it's there and it kept my attention throughout, something very few films over two and a half hours can do, even the best ones.

What a year for movies. It's so hard to argue this film against 12 Years a Slave, for its depictions of slavery, or American Hustle, for its incredible performances, but Wolf stands against them. I loved both of those films for different reasons, but for me, Wolf is king.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:44 pm

And rightfully so, the Wolf is king.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:17 pm
now we know

Pretty fantastic. Full of unashamed addiction and mass consumption of sex, drugs and greed, The Wolf of Wall Street is an epic 3-hour journey into the lives of scandalous stockbrokers, but it's more than just a biographical telling of scam after scam, it's hilarious and unique and hip, and the entire cast gives performances to rival even that of a David O. Russell production. Excellent.

Despite the length, I couldn't keep my eyes off the screen. The score/soundtrack just pushes you from one crazy scene to the next even crazier scene, and by the time you know it, it's 3 hours later and you've had a whale of a time. Quite possibly the biggest laugh I've had this year in a film was "the new phase - the cerebral palsy phase". Man, that was great, and Leo's acting for the 10 minutes after that are sublime. This might be the best ensemble of the year; DiCaprio, Mcconaughey, Jonah Hill, Margot Robbie, John Bernthal, John Favreau and Jean Dujardin just click, and the screenplay is exquisite and delivered with aplomb.

I want to watch it again just to relive the greatness. Margot Robbie is performing at to-die-for levels of gorgeousness here. Oh my God! Truly beautiful. And McConaughey is fantastic in a small but memorable and strangely haunting presence throughout the film, as if his scent is in every greedy line uttered by DiCaprio's Belfort. Scorsese has probably made his best film to date, with only The Departed or Goodfellas getting close to the quality on display here.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next