Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Bling Ring 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

The Bling Ring 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Bling Ring
The Bling Ring

Quote:
The Bling Ring is a 2013 American crime drama film based on true events. Directed, written and produced by Sofia Coppola, it stars newcomers Katie Chang, Israel Broussard, and Claire Julien, as well as Emma Watson and Taissa Farmiga. Filming began in March 2012. It opened the Un Certain Regard section of the 2013 Cannes Film Festival and is scheduled to be released nationwide on June 21, 2013 (June 14, 2012 in New York City and Los Angeles).

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Bling Ring
Awesome. So well-done and entertaining, and incredibly relevant to this day and age. It obviously is trying to make a statement about our society's obsession with materialism and celebrity culture, and does so brilliantly. While she is not the lead (though she arguably has just as much screentime and the movie begins/ends with her character), Emma Watson easily steals the movie with a hilarious and biting performance as a valley-girl-gone-bad - almost all of her one-liners are instantly quotable and made even funnier by the fact that they're mostly verbatim from what the real person actually said (her character is based on reality TV star Alexis Neiers). I also thought Israel Broussard was a standout as the only somewhat sympathetic character in this film. And Leslie Mann is great in her few scenes as a clueless New Age mom. This film is also gorgeous to look at with great cinematography and is so skillfully directed. It's clear Sofia Coppola is more comfortable than ever here and some scenes just flow so well. The robbery of Audrina Patridge's home is an AMAZING sequence. This is one of the best films of the year and I can't wait to see it again. A

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:19 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

suuuuuuuuuuuper excited for this

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:27 pm
Extraordinary

Big Coppola fan so I loved this. It's a nice length, totally feels longer than the 90 minutes it is but I think that's a benefit here. Standout is definitely Emma Watson, which isn't that surprising as she has the most memorable lines/scenes. She's not amazing or anything but she's very good. I still think she doesn't have the accent thing down but she sounds better here than in Perks. I really liked how Marc's sexuality wasn't really a factor with the story but wanting to find friendship, that was refreshing. (lady next to me at the screening said really loud "He's gay!?") HIs character was definitely the most relatable for me.

I dunno how audiences (especially the teenage girls who may flock to this) will receive this though, should be interesting. Don't think it'll be as hated as something like Spring Breakers but it's definitely a slow burn movie that might not catch on.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:08 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Standout is definitely Emma Watson, which isn't that surprising as she has the most memorable lines/scenes. She's not amazing or anything but she's very good. I still think she doesn't have the accent thing down but she sounds better here than in Perks.

Have you seen footage of the girl she is playing? It's a pretty spot-on interpretation, IMO.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:11 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Yeah, I've seen that clip and I still think Emma sounds slightly weird. It's still a good performance though. The interview scene near the end with her mother was definitely her best scene.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:31 am
Extraordinary

oh, and lists!

1. Lost in Translation
2. Marie Antoinette
3. The Bling Ring
4. The Virgin Suicides

5. Somewhere

Maybe I'd rank Bling Ring as #2, idk

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:56 pm
Extraordinary

THE BLING RING

What is there to expect from this film? I learned a lot more about these folks watching 15 minutes from a Dateline piece tonight. The characters aren't explored much. The film is essentially robberies, parties and drug usage. That's the film folks. Even the music in this film isn't interesting. I will say that I didn't hate this film but it was just so forgettable. I was more interested in the set design of each of the houses and their bedrooms than the actual burglaries. It just got so repetitive. The trial happens in about 1 second. Literally. Then that's it. I really wish there was more to this. I learned that one of the girls actually had an mtv show while this whole thing was going down. She couldn't explore that? These children were all pretty vapid materialistic and didn't really care about what they were doing by violating these celebrities homes. I wasn't much impressed by Emma Watson's performance either. Only the guy was a bit of a standout to me.

Grade - C

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:41 pm
Pure Phase

A solid piece of light pop entertainment, but without a doubt writer/director Sofia Coppola's most flawed film to date (I adore her other four features, counting them among my personal favorites). She abandons one of her defining traits here: a vast concern and respect for her characters, even if they are flawed and jaded. Here she considers the cast of pint-sized, empty headed L.A. burglars from either a cold distance or, more often, with an acidic air of disdain. The obvious goal is to explore (and satirize) modern youth culture's fixation with the type of mystifying overnight fame and extreme wealth personified by Lindsay and Paris and the cast of The Hills, but at times it lapses into a bitchier, more mean-spirited mode, as if this film represents a true industry royal excoriating the small people, the pretenders to the throne, adrift in its margins. There are several hilarious moments, and it is electrifying and elegant as a visual experience, but there is not much to ponder at the end, and not one of the characters is memorable. Earlier this year, the masterful Spring Breakers covered similar ground with more courage, more humor, much more visceral excitement, and more left-field wit.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:10 am
Extraordinary

David wrote:
A solid piece of light pop entertainment, but without a doubt writer/director Sofia Coppola's most flawed film to date (I adore her other four features, counting them among my personal favorites). She abandons one of her defining traits here: a vast concern and respect for her characters, even if they are flawed and jaded. Here she considers the cast of pint-sized, empty headed L.A. burglars from either a cold distance or, more often, with an acidic air of disdain. The obvious goal is to explore (and satirize) modern youth culture's fixation with the type of mystifying overnight fame and extreme wealth personified by Lindsay and Paris and the cast of The Hills, but at times it lapses into a bitchier, more mean-spirited mode, as if this film represents a true industry royal excoriating the small people, the pretenders to the throne, adrift in its margins. There are several hilarious moments, and it is electrifying and elegant as a visual experience, but there is not much to ponder at the end, and not one of the characters is memorable. Earlier this year, the masterful Spring Breakers covered similar ground with more courage, more humor, much more visceral excitement, and more left-field wit.

B

I may not like all your reviews but damn they are nice to Read!

+2

#MAGA #KAG!

Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:20 am
Pure Phase

After this film and its message, is it going to seem a bit hypocritical the next time Sofia cashes in and directs a lavish television spot for Chanel or Miu Miu with, say, Natalie Portman cavorting around Paris and rolling around on a bed full of diamonds?

Oh, and:

1. Lost in Translation
2. Somewhere
3. The Virgin Suicides
4. Marie Antoinette
5. The Bling Ring

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:04 am
Pure Phase

I wish Gavin Rossdale's role was larger. Inspired casting. The scene where he buys the Rolexes is superb.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:05 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I've heard AWFUL things about this.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:51 am
Extraordinary

Magnus wrote:
Chippy wrote:
I've heard AWFUL things about this.

Emma Watson dances on a stripper pole and looks insanely hot for the whole film. As bad as anything else in the film is, she alone is worth a viewing.

Then I'd say the 7-10$ and just view clips of her online.

#MAGA #KAG!

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:13 pm
Pure Phase

I did not flip for this the way I have Sofia's other films, but I am not sure why anyone would hate it either. There are lots of attractive girls. Cool music. It has beautiful cinematography. (How fantastic is the single-shot scene where the camera slowly zeroes in on the glass house during the heist?) It has a solid amount of laughs. It is simple, a bit heavy-handed, but very entertaining.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:23 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Magnus wrote:
Emma Watson dances on a stripper pole and looks insanely hot for the whole film.

Works for me. Hopefully I'll see this sometime in the next week.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Uhh. LOVED IT. :P

9/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

I was rather bored.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Although I do really dig this movie I think there is a really phenomenal film that could've been made.

I think one of the problems is that we spend a lot of time in the first half with Rebecca and Marc and yet when the second half arrives I was more interested in the other 3 members in the gang, who other than Nicki do not get much screentime. Not really revolutionary but I thought the gun scene with Marc and Sam was great. I also loved the part where Chloe is eating breakfast and sirens are heard coming closer to her house. I dunno what would've been better, having Nicki (undoubtedly the most memorable character) be the main character or have more focus/characterization of each person of the gang. Then again I'm talking about a Sofia Coppola movie, and her movies aren't really about character exposition.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:30 pm
You must have big rats

Ranking

1. Lost in Translation
2. The Virgin Suicides
3. Marie Antoinette
4. The Bling Ring

5. Somewhere (a.k.a. cure for insomnia)

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Magnus wrote:
they're all kinda meh except for Lost in Translation.

I'd almost agree, but I think The Virgin Suicides earns too many good points to be meh overall.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

LiT is my least favorite personally though I do want to revisit it eventually.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:17 pm
Extraordinary

Coppola's never gonna top Lost in Translation.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:37 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Really enjoyed this. Even though the dialogue isn't perfect, it accurately depicits how these kids would act and it makes for some truly funny scenes. All the music scenes were pretty great even if some were random. This is also just beautiful to look at filming wise whether it is the Audrina Patridge robbery scene or the club scenes (which are some of my favorite scenes in films when done right such as in Black Swan and The Social Network). Also, Emma Watson is so unbelievably hot here.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

Dear god Emma is flawleess.

The movie was okay

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next