Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
 Man of Steel 

Rate this film.
A 34%  34%  [ 15 ]
B 30%  30%  [ 13 ]
C 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
D 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 44

Man of Steel 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: Man of Steel
That's a stupid thing to say. So what if he loved Superman Returns when it came out? What relevance does that have 7 years later?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:45 pm
Extraordinary

Chippy wrote:
That's a stupid thing to say. So what if he loved Superman Returns when it came out? What relevance does that have 7 years later?

Simply that he'll love whatever Superman film comes out regardless of how good it is simply because it's Superman.

Still, I'll own the fact I gave RETURNS an A-. I'd knock that down to a B+ if I re-graded it, but I still liked it.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:47 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

And I'd knock down my A+ to an A- for Returns. And eventually, Excel might lower this grade after a second showing. But just because it's "Superman" doesn't necessarily mean he'll "love it" no matter what.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:49 pm
Indiana Jones IV

The Dark Shape wrote:
Chippy wrote:

Simply that he'll love whatever Superman film comes out regardless of how good it is simply because it's Superman.

Still, I'll own the fact I gave RETURNS an A-. I'd knock that down to a B+ if I re-graded it, but I still liked it.

I like Superman 3. Not because it was good but because it was bad! Kind of in the same way I like Batman and Robin.

I have learned to reserve judgment from trailers after getting burned with Prometheus in a big way last year. But I can't imagine this being as bad as Superman Returns.

Also how would you say this compares to the transformer movies?

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Certainly better than all three. But I don't particularly like TRANSFORMERS.

I realize I'm sounding overly negative, but everything with Clark's upbringing works, and Adams is awesome. If she and Cavill can actually muster some chemistry together, a second film would be fun.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:53 pm
Indiana Jones IV

The Dark Shape wrote:
Certainly better than all three. But I don't particularly like TRANSFORMERS.

I realize I'm sounding overly negative, but everything with Clark's upbringing works, and Adams is awesome. If she and Cavill can actually muster some chemistry together, a second film would be fun.

I agree on Transformers I don't particularly care for them either that is why I kept asking it. They are a good bar on mindless action films though.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

redspear wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Rest assured, I am certain that unlike BB/TDK/TDKR this film won't get far during WOKJ's movie awards.

It will please crowds, though, don't get me wrong. The Transformers films pleased crowds too.

My question. Does the action make more sense than the final 30 minute fight in Iron Man 3?

Are you saying this is the same quality as the Transformer movies? I am not sure I want to see the movie if it is.

It is better than the Transformers sequels, no worries.

I enjoyed Iron Man 3 more, though. The demolition-action at the end of MoS is most comparable to The Matrix Revolutions and Transformers-showdowns, though.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I wonder if there is something in Excel's head that just snaps each time a new MoS movies comes out.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

As one of the few fans of Matrix Revolutions, that actually comforts me.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:47 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I also remember that, lol. It was a news report on TV, I believe.

But a satellite that is destroyed is a Wayne Enterprises one.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:43 pm
You must have big rats

Yeah, it's the satellite.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Btw, everything relating to Costner is just fucking brilliant. The smallville shit is all gold.

Spoiler: show
superman tells lois that he let his father die while at the smallville graveyard. Everything relating to jonathans death and how it effects Clark is simply heartbreaking & handled perfectly. Again, lot of misty eyed folks.

I will make this comparison and in some ways its a good one, though MOS is a much better film and the wom will be much better....

I remember finding Michael Bay's PEARL HARBOR to be awesome in many ways, but it was too serious and melodramatic at times. You could tell Bay was out of his comfort (which is more action comedy) with the serious drama. THAT type of effect is what I mean when I say MAN OF STEEL feels like it is slightly too studio controlled at times. It works a billion times better than one, but so much of it is a collosal grand slam that the few moments which are not grand slams really stick out.

that said, the action and final 3rd of the film are just too awesome for words.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:00 am
Cream of the Crop

final prediction: 90m/245m

Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:14 am
Profile ICQ
Extraordinary

Okay... I really, really liked it. I'm not sure how I would've feel if my expectations were still super high but I think the "doom" that I've witnessed on the internet over the mixed reviews definitely help me be prepared to not like it, but I did.

For me it was a pretty quick 140 minutes. I thought the flashbacks worked. Cavill (gorgeous as hell jesus) was very good. I feel like this is a good foundation for a potential killer sequel.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:05 am
Extraordinary

edit: nevermind, second viewing helped clear stuff up

Last edited by publicenemy#1 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:15 am
Extraordinary

The Man Of Steel is the worst kind of humorless soap.

...it's the Joey Tribbiani version of Superman featuring 'smell the fart acting' - - Henry Cavill is heroically bad.

The first 20 minutes on Krypton were the best part of the whole thing - - afterwards it deteriorated into a long jumble of overwrought Earth backstory - - and finally into about an hour of smashing stuff.

Deadly dull.

1 out of 5.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:25 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Really, really bad, but stopping just shy of awful.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:40 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Henry Cavill is heroically bad.

I'm afraid this fact is getting lost, even amongst the people who have noticed how bad this movie is. Oh man Cavill is the pits in this thing.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:42 am
Superfreak

Lol, what? Cavill is great. Superman and clark are fucking mild mannered, people. That is how he is supposed to act.
For example, his delivery in the exchange with Lois where he reveals how his Father died so Clark could keep his secret is perfect. Truly perfect. Could have been more dramatic, but we, like Lois, instantly get "oh".
He isn't emo ala bats and he isn't funny ala Iron Man. Cavill is very good here. Having seen it 2x now, I am completely sold on it's utter greatness. It isn't as good as TDK or TDKR, but it is just as good as Batman Begins.

I am going to give it an 9/10. Could have used a few more smashed truck scenes, but it doesn't REALLY miss them, either.

A lot of the criticisms are just fucking retarded.

The pacing is great. Clark and Lois's relationship has PLENTY of depth. The action at the end isn't extreme (superman fights zd one on one for like, 8 minutes max).

The entire scene for Zod's arrival on Earth is perfection.
Clarks first appearance on the oil rig.
Everything with Krypton is awesome.

Amy Adams gives the films best performance, followed by Cavill. Costner is quite good as well. Only thing is Faora was stereotyped as it gets. Non stop monologues and slow delivery. She is cool, but could have been used better. That said, thinking this film got a 57% on RT is laughable. My audience ate it up. Point blank,SUPERMAN vs ZOD - the 6 or 7 minute finale of the film - is truly one of the best action sequences ever put on film.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:05 am
Extraordinary

MAN OF STEEL

I took the time to see this twice but watching a midnight showing right after always leaves me weakened what with the two hour wait before the film after I just watched it at 7:00. My first thought after the first showing was that it was a bit long. Now I liked what I saw but it still felt long to me. The whole action sequences between Superman and Zod/Co were good but kind of like meh at the same time. How does he even defeat these people. Finally, the ship in Metropolis with it's beam was cool. I liked the imagery of what was happening but it reminded me a lot of Star Trek and the drill and then you get this black hole that gets created. Why do it that way when it's gonna be like a "I've seen that already" feeling.

The midnight showing, I was clearly tired. I kind of sleep walked through bits of the early part of the film save for Clark's scenes of superhuman strength. I do still enjoy the action even though the fights are mostly draws except for the end. One annoying thing about the filming was all the zoom in and zoom in again shots peppered in the film. That's like Abrams flares. That was over the top. Overall, I think the presentation of Krypton was great, Zod great, Cavill excellent and the younger flashbacks excellent. Most touching scene definitely his dad getting swept away. Not quite sure about Amy Adams. Something about her doesn't work here for me. Comparing this to pure entertainment level of the main blockbuster films so far:

1. Star Trek
2. IM3
3. FF6
4. MOS

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:12 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

A.

Did anyone watch the same movie I did? It was awesome.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:07 am
Gamaur's sex slave

Chippy wrote:
A.

Did anyone watch the same movie I did? It was awesome.

You sure you didn't walk into the Oogieloves showing?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:26 am
Extraordinary

Excel wrote:
Part of me wishes wb had REAL ball and had made this entire film a 3 picture trilogy.

1 entirely on krypton [ending with krypton going kaboom]
1 smallville/becoming the hero/lois following him
1 for the third act

I could have gone for a whole Krypton movie - - except with an interesting story added - - then skip the rest altogether.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:07 am
Forum General

Quite interesting how reviews can be so different...

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:13 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

One of the things that really rubbed me the wrong way was the complete destruction of Metropolis and Superman's utter disinterest in doing anything other than throwing Zod into things and causing people to die.

This was written by one of the Superman comic book writers (he wrote "Birthright," which is apparently something of a big deal), and he sums up how I felt pretty well.

http://thrillbent.com/blog/man-of-steel ... you-asked/

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next