Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Flight 

What grade would you give this film?
A 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
C 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

Flight 
loyalfromlondon

Post Flight
Flight

Quote:
Flight is a 2012 American mystery drama film directed and co-produced by Robert Zemeckis and features an ensemble cast including Denzel Washington, Don Cheadle, Melissa Leo, Bruce Greenwood, Kelly Reilly and John Goodman. Flight is Zemeckis' first live-action film since 2000's Cast Away and What Lies Beneath.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:29 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Flight
It's a character drama more than anything, and an incredibly preachy one at that. It's also far too on-the-nose for my tastes; everything - from the musical choices to the cast of supporting caricatures - is so bloody obvious and over-the-top, and designed to make us think one (and only one) thing about our flawed hero. It's as if Zemeckis has never heard of subtlety or ambiguity (though, based on his recent mo-cap experiments, perhaps that's true). Denzel is Denzel, of course, and, like Argo, it needs more John Goodman, but there's really nothing here that stands out or feels great. It's all simply sub-par, warmed-over, Oscar baiting Hollywood tripe, and I really didn't like it. But there is a super hot, fully naked chick in the opening scene of the movie, so I suppose it gets points for that.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:35 pm
loyalfromlondon

You'd probably just find her ugly anyway.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:39 pm
Extraordinary

FLIGHT

Well, caught it tonight and it was a full screening. The first 30 minutes are great for those with a fear of flying or just to experience a well done airplane crash scenario. That was well executed. Then the film dips into an almost endless barrage of the effects of alcoholism on an individual. He gets off. He gets on. He gets off and on. In and out of relationships friendships until we get to the final end. The hearing on the crash itself where it then turns into a lifetime movie ending. I did appreciate the acting by Denzel displaying the downward spiral he was going through but even while being a hero for saving those lives he was one of the most unlikeable heroes at the same time. It really grew just disgusting watching that character with a drink in every other scene and then the deal that happens before his testimony stank for me. Overall though I did think it's a decent film but one I would only watch for the airplance sequence if I ever caught it on tv in the future.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:40 pm

do you guys really have THAT hard of a time seeing naked women in real life?

or.. you know, on the internet any time you want? I don't see how it occurring in a movie is that noteworthy.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:57 pm
loyalfromlondon

A naked woman occurring in a Robert Zemeckis/Denzel Washington movie is noteworthy, especially when the woman is super hot and the camera seems content to linger on her for as long as possible.

And there's lots of naked men on the internet as well, but that doesn't stop you from saying stuff like:
Michael A on The Proposal wrote:
watching reynolds totally naked for a few seconds was just breath-taking.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:46 pm
Pure Phase

This is 90 percent of a great film. The entire cast is fantastic. Denzel Washington and Kelly Reilly both deserve Oscar nominations. The crash sequence is convincing and disturbing and intense. The depiction of substance abuse is, for the most part, stern, yet fair, and the film does not shy away from complicated questions, including whether or not our flawed hero could have performed such a radical aerial stunt sober. If only it knew how to end: in the last 10 or so minutes, the electric blend of action, conversation, romance, suspense, torment, and Rolling Stones songs gives way to a neat moral choice which feels a tad unearned and, worse still, bland, out-of-character Alcoholics Anonymous sermonizing. A shame, but the film on the whole is still a compelling and sound achievement.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:33 am
Superman: The Movie

And what's sure to be the most overrated film of the year is...

Denzel Washington's performance is anything but overrated (Oscar caliber), but if you can't predict every step this film is going to take, then I'd have to guess you've never seen a movie before.

Besides Washington, the real highlight of the film is the airplane crash. If there's anything Zemeckis proved in Cast Away its that he knows how to crash planes fantastically. The crash here is a heart stopper. No bs, but I even caught myself breathless at one point. It's that good.

The rest of the film? Meh. Zemeckis could do this in his sleep. It's good, but all these reviews claiming its the best film of the year or how extraordinary it is, well I'd either like what they're smoking, or I would've like to have seen the film that they saw.

*** (B)

Oh, the girl at the beginning is Nadine Velasquez (I think) from My Name is Earl. Watching that show for a couple of seasons finally paid off.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Jmart wrote:
And what's sure to be the most overrated film of the year is...

Argo.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:32 pm
Superman: The Movie

That might be second. It at least has flair to it.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:13 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Robert Zemeckis makes a solid return to live action with Flight, highlighted by a superb lead performance from Denzel Washington. This is not a fun movie (despite my weirdo audience, who laughed at everything and every time Washington took a drink, wtf) and covers the unglamorous tropes of alcoholism ably. After the harrowing plane crash sequence, the movie takes a fairly introspective turn into a character study. Washington should definitely be Oscar nominated for this; I found it to be one of his best performances to date, kind of a hybrid of his most charismatic and villainous roles fused together to present this damaged addict of a person. A solid supporting cast (Don Cheadle, Bruce Greenwood, John Goodman, Melissa Leo) mostly hovers in Washington's orbit, although Kelly Reilly is excellent despite being absent for most of the film's final third. B+

Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:59 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought this was pretty fantastic. The crash sequence is perfectly executed and Denzel Washington was absolutely brilliant. This is easily one of his best performances and should certainly be recognized this awards season. I also adored Kelly Reilly and loved her character - I was a bit disappointed that she kind of disappeared in the final third of the film as I was as invested in her character's journey as Whip's. Still though, definitely a must-see. A-

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:27 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Certainly a very well-acted afterschool special.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:57 pm
College Boy Z

Pretty terrific performance from D. Washington, as per usual, but the rest is just "good."

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:15 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Washington is good but I don't even know if I would nominate him here. The film really tries too hard to push messages in people's face, the most apparent being religion (the scene between Ken and Whip in the hospital being particularly over-the-top in pushing across a message). When the film ended, I felt that Whip didn't change at all but Zemeckis tries to say otherwise with the whole prison speech. The last scene also just didn't sit with me given the context of the film.

There are decent performances though from Washington, Greenwood, Goodman, and Cheadle and the time during the plane going down is quite gripping.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Washington is indeed great here and deserving of all the praise he's getting. The plance crash was amazing and surely one of the most intense sequences last year. The rest of the movie is, like most here already said, just ok. I thought Reilly was miscast, she never looked like a junkie to me or someone with an addiction problem.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:53 am
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Yes, boring. 5/10, because Denzel is still good.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:35 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Wow. What a beautiful movie and definitely one of my favorite and one of the most underrated movies of 2012. First off, the crash sequence was breathtaking. The acting in the film is great from the bigger players to the small supporting players. I've never been a huge Denzel Washington fan but damn, he was fantastic here and it would be great if he could win the Oscar, though he obviously has no chance. The film was slightly personal to me because I have friends who battle alcoholism and it is a very realistic portrayal of the disease, so much so I can forgive a few sequences of the film that were too obvious (the co-pilot Jesus bit, as well as the day before his hearing). Overall, it was a masterwork and I couldn't recommend it enough. I also had no issues with the ending, and even teared up a little bit. Fantastic!

9/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

I rented this yesterday randomly. I thought the trailers were pretty meh but I liked it. The first half hour is excellent, the rest not so much.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:17 pm
You must have big rats

Argos wrote:
Yes, boring. 5/10, because Denzel is still good.

Reilly is very good too. But that ending...

Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:48 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I really don't see the problem with the ending. :P

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

Moralizing shit.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:06 pm
Profile WWW
why so serious?

I loved the ending. Right when it appeared that they were going to go for the happy, inspiring ending where the clear implication is that Whip gets better and will go on to live happily ever after, his estranged son shows up to remind him what a fuck-up he's been, which suggests that he still has a long way to go in turning his life around.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:08 pm
You must have big rats

Ummm, that still was totally an "inspiring ending"...

Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

The son is there because he is writing a paper on the most interesting man he has never met. LOL. ;)

Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next