Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Resident Evil: Retribution 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

loyalfromlondon

Post Resident Evil: Retribution

Quote:
Resident Evil: Retribution is a 2012 science fiction thriller film written and directed by Paul W. S. Anderson. It is the fifth installment in the Resident Evil film series, based on the Capcom survival horror video game series Resident Evil, and the third to be directed by Anderson. It is a direct follow-on from the previous film Resident Evil: Afterlife. The film has many returning actors and characters, along with new characters from the video game not featured in the previous films. Filming took place from October to December 2011 for a scheduled release date of September 14, 2012. The film was released in 3D and IMAX 3D, as well as 2D.

The film sees Alice (Milla Jovovich) captured by the Umbrella Corporation, forcing her to make her escape from an underwater base in the Arctic Circle, used for testing the T-virus. Many characters from previous films return, including Jill Valentine (Sienna Guillory), Carlos Olivera (Oded Fehr), Luther West (Boris Kodjoe), Rain Ocampo (Michelle Rodriguez), James "One" Shade (Colin Salmon), and Albert Wesker (Shawn Roberts). Three new characters from the games appear for the first time in the franchise: Ada Wong (Li Bingbing), Leon S. Kennedy (Johann Urb), and Barry Burton (Kevin Durand).

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:33 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Resident Evil: Retribution
Better than Afterlife.

Resident Evil's cliffhanger endings usually make me roll my eyes, but this one's had me giggling in joy. Bring on the sequel.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:06 pm
Pure Phase

The fifth film in this action franchise might not prove overly memorable, but it is more than satisfying in and of itself. Compared to the other Resident Evil films: it does not top the first and third films, but it is superior to Apocalypse and Afterlife. Paul W. S. Anderson is a director often criticized, but he does have a sharp eye for composition and design. As with Afterlife, the 3-D presentation is spectacular in ways both subtle (depth and space) and playful (an axe flying at the audience and so on and so forth). The storyline is perhaps a nod to the first film, returning underground: this time, Alice and a small group of soldiers fight through various Umbrella Corporation test arenas modeled on real places (Manhattan, Moscow, a suburban neighborhood), each populated by henchmen, raging zombies, and other bump-in-the-night beasts.

An Aliens style subplot uniting Alice with a "daughter" plays well, and the return of Michelle Rodriguez in dual (good and evil) roles is a nice touch. The chase and fight sequences are exciting and choreographed with grace and style. The last shot--a cliffhanger, of course--is a macabre delight. If you have stayed with this absurd, modest zombie franchise for a decade, this fun enough entry will ensure you are still interested come film number six.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:03 am
Killing With Kindness

BJs grade:

F

The first of the franchise tat I did not like at all, hopefully the 6th will be better.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:17 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I will say the 3D here is significantly worse than Afterlife's. I wasn't surprised to find they changed from the Pace System to shooting on the Red.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:26 am
Pure Phase

I was impressed by the 3-D in both films.

The opening moments of Afterlife, though, feature one of the most memorable uses of the illusion I've experienced.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:35 am
Extraordinary

The girl with the umbrella in the rain? I haven't seen Afterlife since it opened but I still remember some incredible shots.

Retribution had some cool 'big' moments, but I thought overall image depth was lacking.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:59 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Best comedy of the year. Afterlife was a dour chore, this embraced the goofy and I laughed so much. Anderson clearly has played the games because the Wesker cheese level is perfect.

I Mean its still an awful movie but its awful in the right ways.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:08 am
On autopilot for the summer

This felt the most like the game, and I liked the cloning aspects. My 2nd favorite after the third. Barry finally made it in, and he was awesome but brief! I think this one had the best action of the series. I also really enjoyed the music and opening.

B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:10 pm
100% That Bitch

Loved the fight between Jill and Alice.

my only complain is why did they take away her powers if she was gonna act like she had them in this two movies, lol.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:52 am
On autopilot for the summer

Yeah, I'm not really sure what her powers were. What I can gather is that she was more like Wolverine, hence her pretty bad injuries disappeared when she got them back. But I agree, she's pretty intense either way. I loved her fight scene in the Tokyo, the Jill battle was good too, especially with the music.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:25 pm
Wallflower

BJ wrote:
BJs grade:

F

The first of the franchise tat I did not like at all, hopefully the 6th will be better.

:thumbsup:

Same here, except I think they should stop making them. If they do bother with another please wrap this shit up already.

I thought this was absolutely terrible. By far the worst of the series. It was so tedious and boring, and surprisingly convoluted IMO.

4/10 (D+)

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:46 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Yeah this was laughably horrible.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I didn't think it was that bad, but it's not very good either. I thought it was atleast an improvement over Afterlife. I enjoyed most of the action scenes this time around, but what a bullshit way to introduce and waste such iconic characters from the game like Leon and Barry. They had absolutely nothing to fucking do in this movie.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:21 pm
now we know

These movies are just an excuse to have a bloody good time at the movies, an excuse to kill lots of zombies and monsters, spew lots of blood, and kick as much ass as possible. They could also continue indefinitely due to holograms, clones and test facilities. Bring on more of them, I'm enjoying these more and more as they go on.

Ada Wong (Li Bingbing) is one sexy woman. I was fantasising about her all the way through, that's not bad for a woman of almost 40. She resembles the game very well too. She's got one of those perfect Asian faces that are depicted in these games (with perfectly still hair too), and her clothes certainly make her more attractive. Again, the best scene was with the nail-through-the-face villains, but it was all such a super slo-mo extravaganza that no other scene was a bore. Again I vent my frustration that The Expendables franchise can't just copy this franchise in how to shoot violence. They should forget the comedy and get back to the 80s basics; violent action. Paul W.S. Anderson gets a lot of schtick, and I can't think for why. It's obvious that he's not competing against the Spielberg's of this world, and he's probably near the top of his particular niche.

The next one is going to be a brilliant finale with battles and gruesome monsters aplenty. Can't wait.

Resident Evil: D
Apocalypse:
Extinction: C+
Afterlife: B
Retribution: B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Last edited by Algren on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:24 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I do not mind these films either. I never remember the plot, but they are fun to watch every other year. Cheesy, kinetic simple pleasures. This one has a great opening and a great ending.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:28 am
now we know

David wrote:
I never remember the plot

Yes! haha, so very true. The plots are ludicrous, so I just give up trying to make sense of it and enjoy the action.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:30 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

B

I am just a huge sucker for this franchise. I know that these are technically not "good" films, but I enjoyed the hell out of each installment so far and this was no different. It felt more like a video game adaptation than all before it. I loved that they brought back most older characters from the franchise, in particular the one played by Michelle Rodriguez.

Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:36 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

I have no idea if I've seen this one or not. It's weird.

Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:43 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I'd have the same feeling if I didn't write reviews as soon as I see them. They're all so similar and I cannot differentiate between them.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:20 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

It was the only one of them I didn't see in theatres.

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Riggs wrote:
I have no idea if I've seen this one or not. It's weird.

I had the exact same thought.

I might have seen it in the cheap theaters? It's about..... action?

Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]