Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 5:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Cabin in the Woods 

What grade would you give this film?
A 76%  76%  [ 16 ]
B 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 21

The Cabin in the Woods 
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Cabin in the Woods
nghtvsn wrote:
Just find his actions at the end sick. If I were the girl I wouldn't have hesistated to save the world.

"Sick"? "Save the world"?

What kind of cowardly enabler are you?!?

If anything, Marty's was a selfless act that saved the world from endless slavery!

:clap2:

Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:21 pm

nghtvsn wrote:
baumer wrote:
And Marty clearly states that he thinks society isn't worth saving. They both say it's time to give someone else a chance. The ending is consistent with Marty's views throught the film.

The girl was clearly in no position to contest his opinion at that point.

He is a selfish person because if he thinks the whole world needs to be destroyed just because of a few bad peope then he clearly isn't living in reality. There will always be bad people running about but should everyone else who isn't bad be destroyed just because his sick opinion is that the world should start with a clean slate. Sorry, it makes no sense to me.

I did enjoy the film. Gave an A. Just find his actions at the end sick. If I were the girl I wouldn't have hesistated to save the world.

MISSING THE POINT!
It isn't a few bad people. In this hypothetical we are being controlled by horrible, all-powerful gods. These gods will destroy the world unless the correct ritual is performed. So corporations all over the world, like the one with Whitford that we saw, have to attempt this every year. That's hundreds of kids being sacrificied and killed by enermous corporations run by hundreds of people. Although Whedon never says it, the government would obviously have to at least be complacent in these events. Thus you're talking about worldwide acceptance of these events, not a few bad people.
The point is, when things are this bad there's no saving. There's destruction and starting over, that's the best you can do. It's really hilarious/awesome and the best thing about this movie.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:06 pm

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
nghtvsn wrote:
Just find his actions at the end sick. If I were the girl I wouldn't have hesistated to save the world.

"Sick"? "Save the world"?

What kind of cowardly enabler are you?!?

If anything, Marty's was a selfless act that saved the world from endless slavery!

:clap2:

correct. Marty in this film is actually a martyr, a great hero who ended the horribly wicked way in which we were forced to exist. God I love this the more I think about it.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:07 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

You are all pouring far too much thought into an ending that meant little more than genre subversion.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:08 pm
Devil's Advocate

I thought the Jenkins/Whitford bunker scenes and the monsters running wild was brilliant - the rest amusing and well shot, though falling short of greatness.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:59 pm
Extraordinary

I haven't seen The Evil Dead in a long while but I'm seeing similarities.

Group of young adults who are heading to a cabin. They cross a bridge (mountain underpass). They are partying when the cellar door distracts them. They find stuff in the cellar. They play a tape that has an incantation.

Um. This is like the first 30 minutes of CITW.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri May 11, 2012 1:58 pm
Sbil

nghtvsn wrote:

Group of young adults who are heading to a cabin. They cross a bridge (mountain underpass). They are partying when the cellar door distracts them. They find stuff in the cellar. They play a tape that has an incantation.

That was sort of the point, wasn't it? Much of the first half is specifically intended to be highly similar to other movies.

Fri May 11, 2012 2:38 pm
loyalfromlondon

nghtvsn wrote:

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri May 11, 2012 5:42 pm
The Kramer

This movie was great. Do the monster mash!

Sat May 12, 2012 1:25 am
Extraordinary

trixster wrote:
nghtvsn wrote:

Heh - - nghtvsn is usually much more perceptive about movies than this one - - but he's sure got a big blind spot about Cabin in the Woods, and yet he keeps coming back for more!

Sat May 12, 2012 7:17 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Libs wrote:
nghtvsn wrote:

That was sort of the point, wasn't it? Much of the first half is specifically intended to be highly similar to other movies.

The problem is that it goes through those boilerplate cabin shenanigans a little too thoroughly, considering everyone is already in on the joke. It takes up most of the movie and it's a drag.

Tue May 15, 2012 11:38 am
100% That Bitch

Amazing movie

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun May 20, 2012 8:39 pm
Extraordinary

Shooting the monsters...

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:54 am
Forum General

I seriously can't wait for this to come out on Tuesday! I've been wanting to watch it again since the second I left the theaters.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:21 am
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

I watched it again a couple of weeks ago and was sadly a bit bored the second time around. Maybe it was just the mood I was in.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:57 pm
---------

Freaking awesome. I thought this would just be a different take on the genre, like Scream, but was I completely blown away by what I saw instead.

A-

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:57 pm
Cream of the Crop

i caught a late night screening yesterday and ended up hating this movie. i sneaked into the screening (after watching argo) so at least i didnt pay for this crapfest. should have sneaked into the possession instead. all the praise this movie is getting should have been given to cabin fever instead.

Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:58 pm
Profile ICQ
now we know

The Cabin in the Woods

I've just watched this, and I am just really shocked and surprised. I had seen things previously about it not being a typical "cabin" and not being set in a typical "woods", and I was sort of aware that it was being watched like a reality TV show, but I never imagined it being such a great movie. It's sort of a cross between a spoof, a horror, and a comedy. It's so referential on the horror genre itself, and the most horrific thing in it is how a bunch of office workers can get so much glee from so much brutality. That's the uniqueness of this movie. You don't come to this movie to see gore (although there is a lot), you come to witness a revelation in horror film-making. Seriously, it's that good. First came Scream in 1996. That is a great film, and it will always stay with me, then there were copycats, then there was Saw, then Paranormal Activity, now there's this, and while it doesn't really have much franchise potential, it's an important film in the horror genre. For me, genres are defined by their course-changing creations, this is one of those.

It's basically a whole movie dedicated to the ineptitude of the horror genre. It turns that on its head and basically ends as a fantasy horror. For a "horror" movie, a comedic one no less, to have me like this, then it must be pretty special.

The casting is not ideal. Hemsworth is not really the best choice at displaying a "sociology major", more of a football beefcake, and I wish we could see the first lot of zombies more clearly, but other than those gripes, it was a well-crafted 90 minutes of pure entertainment. I just didn't know what to expect at every turn. I knew that Sigourney Weaver's voice at the end, and then she appeared! That was awesome. I loved the office banter between the two main switchboard operators, and I loved the dialogue of the stoned boy. I can't believe I'm going to give a horror movie this grade, as I usually hate them, but here goes:

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:56 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Algren wrote:
The Cabin in the Woods

The casting is not ideal. Hemsworth is not really the best choice at displaying a "sociology major", more of a football beefcake, and I wish we could see the first lot of zombies more clearly, but other than those gripes, it was a well-crafted 90 minutes of pure entertainment. I just didn't know what to expect at every turn. I knew that Sigourney Weaver's voice at the end, and then she appeared! That was awesome. I loved the office banter between the two main switchboard operators, and I loved the dialogue of the stoned boy. I can't believe I'm going to give a horror movie this grade, as I usually hate them, but here goes:

B+

That was the film's point.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Algren wrote:
The Cabin in the Woods

B+

That was the film's point.

That was the whole point to the film?? Wrong again, Lecter.

If you watched the film, you'd see that he was a sociology major, but he was acting like a football douche. My point was that his look, style, appearance is just not suited to a typical sociology major, i.e. someone with brains. It was bad casting. The people at the lab gave him drugs to make him act differently, but that's not who he was, that was an act.

I think you missed that point.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

A "football beefcake" can still be an intelligent sociology major.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:55 pm
We had our time together

Not when he looks like Chris Hemsworth, obviously.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

No, I am pretty certain I didn't. The poin was to play on the horror cliches and how they had to turn these people into cliches to fit the archetypical schemes. The point is only because someone looks a certain way doesn't necessarily tell everything about them.

The blonde isn't really a blonde, the jock is a sociology major, the virgin is not really a virgin, the smart guy is also the best athlete, and the stoner guy is actually quite smart. Most reviews point that out:

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/fos ... bin-woods/

http://feministfiction.com/2012/11/05/c ... the-woods/

http://montanamancavemassacre.blogspot. ... ssion.html

http://www.chillertv.com/news/article/2 ... ods_review

http://www.bradleyscout.com/voice/cabin ... t-corners/

I could go on and on...

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:50 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Libs wrote:
A "football beefcake" can still be an intelligent sociology major.

Not in Algren's world.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

A friend of mine in college was a star lacrosse player and graduated summa cum laude, lol. Impossible!

Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next